4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2006 8:06 AM by Authorgirl

Related Topics

Authorgirl Level 1
      Hi, I need a list of related topics at the bottom of many of my topics. I prefer to use a Related Topics button which when clicked, displays a menu of the topics. My employer think it is better to have a list of topics just added on to the end of the topic. I think this looks messy but I can see that it is one click less for the user.

I would be really interested to know what other help authors do.
        • 1. Re: Related Topics
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          A custom button displaying a menu does the trick for me. I second your opinion of lots of links taking up space and looking naff! Perhaps you can tell your employer how to do their job
          • 2. Re: Related Topics
            Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Hi Authorgirl

Personally, I'm rather fond of the RelatedTopics controls. However, I can easily see pros and cons with both approaches.

* Cleaner and sleeker look
            * User doesn't have to click the button or link to see how many topics are related

* To add or edit links requires extra work, because you have to edit the control
            * Some Microsoft patches may make the controls fail under certain circumstances
            * User doesn't know how many links are present until they click

I think there are more items for each list. These are just what popped off the top of my decidedly bald head.

Cheers... Rick
            • 3. Re: Related Topics
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Silly me...

Mea Culpa...

That second "Pro" item is incorrect. Sorry... haven't yet had my second cuppa...
              • 4. Re: Related Topics
                Authorgirl Level 1
                Thanks guys, that's really helpful!