9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 4:20 AM by jmlevy

Package with InDesign Server

jmlevy Adobe Community Professional

I am looking for a way to package files using InDesign Server (CC2014, running on a Windows 2012 server). I guess that it should be possible by scripting but I it is far away from my skills.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Package with InDesign Server
          Harbs. Level 6

Use Document.packageForPrint().

Here's the signature:

bool packageForPrint (to: File, copyingFonts: bool, copyingLinkedGraphics: bool, copyingProfiles: bool, updatingGraphics: bool, includingHiddenLayers: bool, ignorePreflightErrors: bool, creatingReport: bool[, versionComments: string][, forceSave: bool=false])

• 2. Re: Package with InDesign Server

Thanks Harb, I will test. Pardon me if this question seems stupid: all I need to do is to copy, paste in Extend Script Tool Kit and save it as .jsx?

• 3. Re: Package with InDesign Server
              Harbs. Level 6

Well, you need to specify where you're exporting to and get a reference to the source document. You also need a way to actually run the script in InDesign Server (since there's no UI).

What's your context here?

• 4. Re: Package with InDesign Server

I'll try to explain more precisely: we use InDesign (client version) and all our pictures are stored on a DAM. So, all the links look like : http://[name_of_the_DAM]. Our prepress department would like to get a copy of all the linked files. Instead of manually packaging to get a copy of the linked files, we are looking to automatize this process, and as we use InDesign Server to generate our PDF, I wanted to use it to do this.

Is it clearer?

• 5. Re: Package with InDesign Server
                  Harbs. Level 6

Much clearer.

So, you basically have an InDesign Server script which has a reference to an InDesign file and is exporting it to a folder reference. Right?

If so, it should just be a matter of adding a line to the script like so:

myDoc.packageForPrint(myFolder,true,true,false,true,false,true,true);

• 6. Re: Package with InDesign Server

No, that's the point. At this time, we use InDesign Server in relationship with MadeToPrint Server to produce our PDFs. The prepress department drops the native InDesign files in a hotfolder, and these files are processed by InDesign/MtP Server.

• 7. Re: Package with InDesign Server
                      Harbs. Level 6

Not knowing how MadeToPrint Server runs scripts, I'm not sure what to say. I guess you can ask the folks at Axaio? if their scripts can be extended.

The other option is that your prepress department can use InDesign Desktop to run scripts to package the files.

• 8. Re: Package with InDesign Server
                        Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

Sorry if I come late here but I thought I could bring some valuable infos. From what I know, the InDesign Server included in the MadeToPrint Server distribution is not usable outside of M2PS. You can't think of running external scripts on that specific instance of InDesign Server as it's closed to external access. It's a specific bundle.

HTH

Loic

• 9. Re: Package with InDesign Server

Thanks Loic,

We do not use the InDesign Server version distributed by Axaio. Our version has ben provided by our parent company. Anyway, our third party plugin provider wrote a script to package the files.