37 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 2:09 PM by muelgrub

Printing issue

muelgrub2003 Level 1

I'm having trouble getting LR (4) to print my images over the entire size of the paper.  I don't mean borderless printing, I just mean getting the image to fill at lease the majority of the paper.  For example, I'm trying to print a 5x7 image, I select 5x7 in LR presents Page set-up in LR, I set 5x7 as the paper size on the printer Epson P-600, and then hit "print."  I'm then taken to another printer set-up page where I again select 5x7.  When I print, the actual image is much smaller than the paper.  There's more than an inch that doesn't print and the image is no where near 5x7.

When I select the 5x7 present in LR the image is turned on its side and is really small.  Doesn't look like 5x7 at all.

What am I doing wrong now?

thanks

• 1. Re: Printing issue
          dj_paige Level 9

You have to first crop the image to 5x7 before you try to print at 5x7. There also have to be a reasonable number of pixels in your image to obtain a 5x7 print, so exactly what is the width and height of the photo in pixels?

• 2. Re: Printing issue
            muelgrub2003 Level 1

I thought I did crop it in LR to 5x7.  I'm not sure of the # of pixels, however.  What would I have to do in either LR or PS to ensure that I have the proper number of pixels to get a true 5 x7 or 8x10 print?

• 3. Re: Printing issue
              dj_paige Level 9

In the Metadata panel you can see the number of pixels and the cropped number of pixels.

• 4. Re: Printing issue
                muelgrub2003 Level 1

Ok, so if I have an image, then select the crop tool and the 5x7 ratio, crop the image (which is what I did), then shouldn't the image print at 5x7?

• 5. Re: Printing issue
                  dj_paige Level 9

If it has enough pixels, yes

• 6. Re: Printing issue
                    muelgrub2003 Level 1

Ok, so where can I find out exactly how many pixels are needed to properly print whatever size image I want?  Is there a reference chart somewhere?

• 7. Re: Printing issue
                      dj_paige Level 9

For 5x7, some people and some printers would require 300 pixels per inch, which is 1500x2100.

• 8. Re: Printing issue
                        Bob Somrak Level 5

dj_paige wrote:

If it has enough pixels, yes

The number of pixels in the cropped photos doesn't affect the printing or not printing of the photo.  I just printed a 95X133 (5X7crop) pixel image and it just printed a highly pixelated image.

• 9. Re: Printing issue
                          dj_paige Level 9

Ah, thanks, Bob, then something else must be a problem for muelgrub2003, but I can't spot the error.

• 10. Re: Printing issue
                            muelgrub2003 Level 1

Ok, that's what I originally thought; so then what am I doing wrong, and how come I can't get the image to fill the paper size I select. And what do you need me to tell you so that you can figure it out?

• 11. Re: Printing issue
                              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the print module, are you adjusting the cell size appropriately? You need to select the paper size in the printer driver, but in Lightroom it's necessary to adjust the cell size as well in order to get the image printed at the right size.

• 12. Re: Printing issue
                                muelgrub2003 Level 1

I guess I'm not doing that properly.  I tried that, and thought that I had it done correctly, but apparently it's not.  What would the proper cell size be?

• 13. Re: Printing issue
                                  sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi muelgrub2003,

Please try the following mentioned steps:

1. Crop your image to 5x7 in Develop module.

2. Switch to Print  module and please make sure you have the correct template selected and cell size should be 5 by 7 as well.

3. Try to Print afterwards.

print.png

Pleas let us know if it helps.

Regards

Sarika

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Printing issue
                                    muelgrub2003 Level 1

thanks, I will try this again.  I'm not certain that I had the cell size at 5x7. Let you know tomorrow!

• 15. Re: Printing issue
                                      muelgrub2003 Level 1

ok, but this is what it looks like when I do that:

and this is what it looks like when I rotate to fit:

• 16. Re: Printing issue
                                        Bob Somrak Level 5

muelgrub2003 wrote:

5x7 image, I select 5x7 in LR presents Page set-up in LR, I set 5x7 as the paper size on the printer Epson P-600, and then hit "print."  I'm then taken to another printer set-up page where I again select 5x7. 

Are you using 5X7 paper in the printer.  If not, you need to tell Lightroom what the actual size of the paper is.

• 17. Re: Printing issue
                                          muelgrub Level 1

yes, I am. On the printer control panel, I select 5x7 as the paper size As well.

• 18. Re: Printing issue
                                            muelgrub2003 Level 1

Plz see my posts and screen shots.  I'm trying to print in portrait mode and mine doesn't look like yours

• 19. Re: Printing issue

Hi muelgrub2003,

You can try changing the Page orientation from the Print settings dialog box.

For example:

print new.JPG

~Sarika

• 20. Re: Printing issue
                                                muelgrub2003 Level 1

You know, I'm not sure that I did that, but you can see from my screen shots what happens when I click "rotate to fit"  Will selecting portrait solve that issue?

• 21. Re: Printing issue

Hi muelgrub2003,

• At my end I have first just cropped my image to 5x7 and then selected the same template though I am using  8.5 x 11 paper.
                                                  • I have not even selected the Zoom to fill or Rotate to fit option.
                                                  • I have my cell size measured 5x7 as well and i have set the paper orientation to be portrait and it looks just perfect.
                                                  • You can try the above mentioned steps again and share the behavior with us.

print 3.JPG

~Sarika

• 22. Re: Printing issue
                                                    wobertc Adobe Community Professional

1st problem- you are using A4 paper!

From your screen clip-

ScreenShot152.jpg

An easy mistake (that I made as a beginner) is to select paper size from the "Templates" panel- wrong! Most of the default templates are designed for A4 paper.!  The 5x7 template provided by LR is for a 5x7 on A4 paper!!

Ignore the templates!

You must set your paper size in the "Page Setup" dialog of your printer, choosing 5x7in paper.

2nd- Your orientation is set to Vertical. This you change in the Page/Printer setup also, to suit your image orientation (Vertical/Horizontal).

3rd- You need to maximize the Cell Size sliders (AFTER you reset the page size to 5x7.!)

ScreenShot151.jpg

• 23. Re: Printing issue
                                                      muelgrub2003 Level 1

First, I don't see where it says I'm using A4 paper.

But here's a screen shot after I select 5x7 in the page set up box; but you can see that the cell size is only 6.19 x 4.50 at the largest setting.  No rotate or zoom to fit

this is the Printer properties screen shot, again 5x7 is selected as Sheet, not A4, Again, I can't adjust the cell size any bigger.

So, how can I adjust the cell size?

How do I "unselect" templates?

Sry, noobie questions!!

• 24. Re: Printing issue

Hi Muelgrub2003,

My BIG mistake, sorry! I was looking at the screen clips by Sarika in Post-21.

But my second point still stands-

You have the printer set for Vertical/Portrait orientation of the paper, so a Horizontal/landscape image tries to fit into the 5inch width.

ScreenShot154.jpg

So click the button for Landscape orientation in the Page Setup. Or if you tick/check the "Rotate to Fit" in the LR-Image settings panel this would turn your image side-on to fit the 'Portrait' orientation.

Keep your paper size at 5x7- as you have correctly done.!

Check again in LR Print Layout- that sliders are set for margins minimal, and Cell Sizes Maximum.

If you have pre-cropped the image to 5x7, it should fit the full 5x7 paper OK.

If one white margin/border is still larger than the others, you can put a tick/check in  "Zoom to Fill" in Image Settings panel, although you may see some of your image edges get clipped away.

If you "Zoom to Fill" any image- you can re-position it on the page by dragging with the mouse on the image.

Hope it gets better for you.

Rob

ps- cell size is only 6.19 x 4.50 at the largest setting- thar will be correct.  Your Paper is 5x7, Your image may cropped to 5x7 RATIO, but to have a white margin all around the image its actual size printed on the paper will be about 6.19 x 4.5  unless your printer can do 'Borderless' printing.

• 25. Re: Printing issue
                                                          muelgrub Level 1

tthanks, I'll try all that.  Maybe when my LR ver. 6 arrives it'll be easier!

• 26. Re: Printing issue
                                                            muelgrub Level 1

finally! I got it.  I'm not exactly sure how, but it worked. I thing it was a combination of enlarging the cell size as big as possible, selecting portrait layout and setting the printer to enlarge the image to fit in the 5x7.  There's still a small white border around the edge.  I'm not sure if selecting borderless printing will alleviate that or if that would just cause more problems.

thanks all for the great suggestions!

• 27. Re: Printing issue

Not all printers can print 'Borderless'.

If it is an option in your printer setup dialog, then yes -you can.

Choose the 'Borderless' option in the printer setup, then increase the Cell Size to the full paper size.

• 28. Re: Printing issue
                                                                muelgrub Level 1

thanks, my P-600 does allow for borderless printing, but I've heard that colors can bleed near the edges and other miscellaneous problems. 

Not true?

• 29. Re: Printing issue

True?

Only a test will prove that! Try a 5x7 borderless.

• 30. Re: Printing issue
                                                                    muelgrub Level 1

Yes, thanks, I will have to give that a try

• 31. Re: Printing issue
                                                                      muelgrub2003 Level 1

Ok, I did a borderless and it came out pretty good.  No real issues.

Here's another question:  Even though I have managed to get prints to be the correct size, it's not without some glitches.  What's the point of having all these LR presents for printing if they don't work seamlessly.  I would think that one could simply select a printing preset, push the button and have the image print at the correct size and orientation.

Am I asking too much?

• 32. Re: Printing issue

Perhaps the "point is" - all the presets supplied with LR are mostly useless for smaller print sizes- most are designed for A4 or Letter size papers, and supplied as a starting point in the print module (as are the LR presets in develop module).

In my experience I have found that if I create a print layout or design using a specific paper size or layout, I create my own template that can be used over & over in future.

Creating your own templates is very easy- once you have the printer options and paper size as you want it, click the [+] on the Template Browser header. Give your 'user' templates a very descriptive name for future reference. You can then use your templates with any image- easily!

eg. if you set options for 5x7 paper and borderless, save a template! Call it '5x7 Borderless'. It will be there for use at any time.

Another method of saving a layout is to click the Tab [Create a saved print] - This creates your print design in a Collection with a specific photo. It is possible to add other photos to this 'Collection' also.

Screen clip is some of my own User templates-

ScreenShot162.jpg

• 33. Re: Printing issue
                                                                          muelgrub2003 Level 1

Yes, I think I'm going to have to try this.  Can I assume that creating a template to print say two 4x6's on a single sheet will result in two quality prints (of course, assuming the images are a good quality in the first place )?

Some of the papers I've looked at don't come in those sizes like 4x6 or 5x7, just 8.5 x11 and IDK what the "A" size papers are.

Unless, you want to send me your presets!!

And with the clip of your template, could that print 4 images on one sheet?  What about the over-lap?

Thanks

• 34. Re: Printing issue

I am also discussing multiple layouts in this thread- Print one image across multiple sheets

My templates may not work for you because you use a different printer (and different paper sizes).

Two 4x6's on a page

- easy- "Single Image/ Contact Sheet" Set 2 rows & 1 column (or 1 row 2 columns) You need a paper size to allow this of course!

Overlap?

The print cells in "Custom Package" can be positioned or resized anywhere on the page, overlapped or not.

Paper sizes? https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Paper+sizes&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBwQsA RqFQoTCO6U0sC4kMgCFYU4iAodcccC…

Go to this site for some great tutorials by Julianne Kost- Lightroom Tutorials by Julieanne Kost

Specifically printing- Lightroom CC - Print the Perfect Image - YouTube

• 35. Re: Printing issue
                                                                              muelgrub Level 1

thanks again!

• 36. Re: Printing issue

how to print images that are in different folders

Strange!!! I received this question in an email (following the thread) but it does not show in this thread.

Answers-

1. Hold [CTRL] as you click on folders to select more that one folder of images at the same time.

2. Create a standard Collection, add images to the collection.

• 37. Re: Printing issue
                                                                                  muelgrub Level 1

Yes, I know and I apologize.  That happened because I wrote the question then went to work trying to figure it out.  When I did, I deleted the question in the forum and never posted it.  I guess it went via email anyway.I just created a collection and printed.thanksPeter