1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 10:58 AM by dj_paige

High Def monitor suggestions, problems?

Califdan2 Level 1

Am looking to upgrade my monitor for use with LR.  I'm running Windows/7 Pro (x64) on a Dell XPS8300 and would like some advice on choosing a High Def Monitor (around 27").    What should I be looking for?  I've done a little research and have come away more confused than when I started.  For example:

IPS vs TN?

Is what I'm looking for advertised as "4k"?

Is LED backlight the way to go?

Are there different gamut issues I should be aware of?

Will I need to upgrade my graphics card - or how do I know if I'll need to upgrade my graphics card and what do I look for?

Does LR or PS CC2015 have any issues running with such devices?

With higher resolution, I assume text will look smaller on my screen, can LR & PS be set to use larger fonts in menu's and text fields?  Has this been a problem for anyone with aging eyes?

What else do I need to know?

Any specific monitor recommendations?

Thanks -- Dan

• 1. Re: High Def monitor suggestions, problems?
          dj_paige Level 9

A 27" monitor is probably, but not necessarily, high def. Usually high def refers to the number of pixels that the monitor can display. A 4K monitor would is sometimes referred to as ultra high def.

If you have Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC 2015 and the right graphics card, then a 4K monitor is a possibility. If you have any earlier versions of Lightroom, then I wouldn't bother with a 4K monitor at all.

Please read Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Lightroom Graphics Processor Acceleration (GPU) Troubleshooting & FAQ for more information about what Graphics card to get. Also please note that there have been major problems with AMD graphics cards, as discussed here: GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

Which brings up the question ... why do you feel you need a 4K monitor? The reason I ask is that there have been enough problems with using the graphics acceleration in Lightroom that it is a bit of a crapshoot, and in my own personal opinion (which may be different than yours), I don't need the aggravation of struggling with these issues, but I also don't feel I need a 4K monitor for what I do.