4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2006 11:55 AM by Showmakers

WMV display errors - MX 2004

Showmakers
      Hello,

I've come across a problem in Director MX 2004 that I'm unsure how to fix.

I've created a series of large WMV's. The WMV's are near HD in size. (1600 pixels across) These WMV's run perfectly when viewed through Windows Media Player 9, 10, etc...

However once in Director MX 2004 The WMV's exhibit a shift in the centre colours. In particular a talking heads hue goes from pink to quite red. Then (possibly at a video keyframe) changes back to pink again.

This caused me to be quite confused as playing the videos in Windows Media Player as I stated above, does not show this behaviour. After some investigation, I tried playing the files in the old engine "mplay32.exe". When I play the videos in mplay32.exe they show the same red hue shift as Director.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is anyway to dictate which engine Director uses to playback Windows Media? Obviously the result from mplay32 is unacceptable.

Thanks,

Joe.
        • 1. Re: WMV display errors - MX 2004
          Level 7
          On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:42:11 GMT, ShowWork1 posted in
          macromedia.director.basics:

> However once in Director MX 2004 The WMV's exhibit a shift in the
          > centre colours. In particular a talking heads hue goes from pink to
          > quite red. Then (possibly at a video keyframe) changes back to pink
          > again.

Are you Importing the members? If so, did you select AVI or Windows
          Media from the Files of Type pop-up menu?

Does it work better if you Insert them instead?

You might find the MPEG Advance Xtra more reliable.

--
          Mark A. Boyd
          Keep-On-Learnin' :)
          • 2. Re: WMV display errors - MX 2004
            Showmakers Level 1
            Thanks for the reply Mark.

Well it made not a difference on how they were imported nor did the third party extras help. However I did find something out. I was suspicious of the colour shift snapping back on keyframes so I output the WMV from a different encoding software package. The moment I did that the WMV's looked fine in the mplay32 engine and Director followed suit.

The previous software I was using to encode was Cleaner XL 1.5
            Now I will admit I'd prefer to use Cleaner to encode as it is far quicker then After Effects or Windows Media Encoder and gives more control. However if there is no way to force Director to use Windows Media 9 or higher I suppose I'll have to live without it.

Annoying to say the least but I am happy knowing there is a fallback.

Joe
            • 3. Re: WMV display errors - MX 2004
              Level 7
              On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 00:11:29 GMT, Showmakers posted in
              macromedia.director.basics:

> The previous software I was using to encode was Cleaner XL 1.5

There's a name I haven't heard in years (last used Cleaner on Mac OS7 or
              8). Although I think we had a Windows version at my previous company when
              they first ported over.

FWIW, I've been using Sorenson Squeeze for my video compression these
              days. However, I must qualify that in saying that I don't create WMV files
              very often - and never for use in Director.

> However if there is no way to force Director to use Windows Media 9 or
              > higher I suppose I'll have to live without it.

Hm. It seems to me that they (Director and MPEG Advanced Xtra) should be
              using the DirectX or DirectShow drivers, not the Windows Media application
              itself. I could be woefully out of date since I quit using AVI and other MS
              video formats years ago.

There is probably a technote on xtras.tabuleiro.com that goes into the
              details.

--
              Mark A. Boyd
              Keep-On-Learnin' :)
              • 4. Re: WMV display errors - MX 2004
                Showmakers Level 1
                While the Mpeg Xtra from Tabuleiro does have some advantages (being able to easily set cue points that work from the timing channel) it however doesn't play video across multiple monitors without turning off DTS. And of course turning of DTS kills video speed.

I guess that is the other note that makes this issue difficult, the video is near HD but cannot run from a single screen. It requires two. (Splitting the video signal later tends to result in a slight audio delay)

Somehow the built in Director WMV capabilities are able to run the WMV across both in a lovely fashion. It just has the annoyance of requiring more scripting to control.