11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 6:32 PM by JimHess

lightroom update

amberl26002925

I was working on my lightroom catalog at school and was required to upgrade to version 6 in order to open the program, so I did and it created another catalog. When I try to open the original catalog at school (where my recent photos are stored because the upgraded version will not open at home) it will not open because it hasn't been upgraded. How do I fix this problem? I want only one catalog...

• 1. Re: lightroom update
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only way to solve that problem would be to have Lightroom 6 installed on both computers.

• 2. Re: lightroom update
            amberl26002925 Level 1

so update the catalog on my home computer as well?

• 3. Re: lightroom update

That depends. You haven't made yourself very clear. What version of Lightroom are you running at home? What version of Lightroom are you using at school?

• 4. Re: lightroom update
                amberl26002925 Level 1

We use Lightroom CC at school now, I think i've been using lightroom 5 at home all summer.

Sorry to be so unclear...

• 5. Re: lightroom update
                  amberl26002925 Level 1

I won't be able to check what version I use at home for a few hours, currently at school.

• 6. Re: lightroom update

Lightroom CC and Lightroom 5 use different versions of the database software. Lightroom CC will automatically create an updated copy of the catalog that is compatible with the newer version. But that newer version cannot be used with Lightroom 5. You cannot simply upgrade to Lightroom 5 catalog and then expect it to run with Lightroom 5. You will either have to subscribe to Lightroom CC at home or purchase Lightroom 6. Then you can use the same updated catalog both at home and at school. If you want to try to continue using Lightroom 5 at home then your only alternative is to have separate catalogs for home and school.

• 7. Re: lightroom update
                      amberl26002925 Level 1

Why can't I open the updated version at home if the catalog is stored on my hard drive? Shouldn't it be able to open on any computer?

• 8. Re: lightroom update
                        amberl26002925 Level 1

okay, so just to be clear...

I need up subscribe to CC or 6 (at home)

How would I go about doing that if i'm using Creative Cloud with software keys from my school? I thought that when I renewed my subscription it would have downloaded the newest version..

• 9. Re: lightroom update

No, you cannot do that. If you try then Lightroom 5 is going to tell you that the catalog is too new and that It cannot open it. I will say it again, the only way you can work on that same catalog at home and at school is to have the same version of Lightroom installed at both locations. Lightroom CC and Lightroom 6 will both share the same database.

But now you are confusing me. Are you using Lightroom CC at home? Are you Able to use keys from school to use the creative cloud on your home computer? What are you REALLY doing?

• 10. Re: lightroom update
                            amberl26002925 Level 1

okay, from the beginning.

Our school gives us software keys that we can use to download adobe programs for free.

I renewed my subscription to lightroom via creative cloud a few days ago (at home).

When I went to school to edit, lightroom said I need to update in order to use the program, so I did. That automatically created a second catalog on my hard drive.

I cannot open the original catalog at school. I cannot open the updated catalog at home.

That is all I know.

Our school is currently using lightroom CC. I believe at home, my computer still has lightroom 5 but thats a whole different story, I don't understand why it wouldn't update to the most recent version when I renewed my subscription via creative cloud.

• 11. Re: lightroom update

It seems that some users are reporting that they cannot upgrade to Lightroom CC 2015 through the creative cloud application manager. For some reason, the application manager doesn't update. You can try signing out from the creative cloud application manager at home and then sign in again. For some users that solves the problem and Lightroom CC 2015 is then available to install. If that doesn't work then some users have had to reinstall the creative cloud application manager before they are able to get the latest version of Lightroom. This may be an issue that you will have to resolve with your instructor and with your IT people at the school. I am not familiar with the licensing system you are working under.

In either case, Lightroom 5 is NOT the current version. Lightroom CC 2015 or Lightroom 6 are the current versions. One is the creative cloud version, Lightroom 6 is the standalone version. Those two current versions are capable of sharing the same catalog because they are essentially the same program. But Lightroom 5, which is NOT a current version, will not share a catalog that has been created or upgraded by Lightroom CC/6. You have got to get your software at home updated.