9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 9:39 AM by johnrellis

Sorting images by Capture Time

patricial63030166 Level 1

When I photograph weddings I use 2 Nikon cameras one has a longer lens and the other a wide angle. The problem is I interchange the cameras quite a bit throughout the day. Then when I get back to the office I upload all these photos in a sequential order but they are not in order of the time taken.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Also I am thinking if I could put them in the order of time they were taken it might be best however I don't know how to do this. I know it is in the metadata but beyond that I am at a loss. Can Lightroom do this somehow or Photoshop?

Please help

Patricia

• 1. Re: renaming files
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi,

In the Library Module, you may sort the images as per the " Capture Time ".

Please have a look at the screen shot Sort.jpg

Also you may have a look at the article : http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2012/02/lr3-how-do-you-change-the-order-of-images-before-rena ming.html

Regards,

Tanuj

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: renaming files

This didn’t completely answer my question.

What this did is put the one camera in order then the other camera in order. What I need it to do is take all the images and put them in order not by camera but by time taken.

I don’t even know if this is possible since I am using 2 cameras.

Patti

• 3. Re: renaming files

I received an answer which really didn't help. I have 2 different cameras and I need the images to be in the order I took them. Lightroom took one camera and put them in order then took the other images from camera 2 and put them in order. I need them to be combined together.

Is this possible?

Patricia

• 4. Re: renaming files
                Bob Somrak Level 5

TANUJ's answer should work but the Time and Date on both cameras must be as close to the same as possible.   Check the time and date on BOTH cameras.

• 5. Re: renaming files

Okay I will. Good thinking.

• 6. Re: renaming files
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

To FIX the problem you can change to Capture DATE/TIME using "Metadata/Edit Capture Time" in the Library module for the photos from one of the cameras to the difference you see in the two cameras.  Hopefully you haven't changed the times yet so you can see what difference there is.  Otherwise you will have to figure it out from comparing the photos from both cameras and find a sync photo or two

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 11.38.22 AM.png

• 7. Re: renaming files
                      Brett N Adobe Employee

When using the Capture Time sort order, the camera that took the pictures shouldn't even come into effect. Check the actual dates and times that are coming up on the two sets of files. What I'm guessing you are going to find is that one of the cameras is not set to the correct date or time. For example, one camera may be set to use AM but the other is PM, or one is a day/month/year ahead/behind the other.

• 8. Re: Sorting images by Capture Time
                        Bob Somrak Level 5

I think she already found out the camera times are out of sync, I was just telling her how the get one camera files capture date/time in sync with the other camera by using "edit capture time"

• 9. Re: Sorting images by Capture Time
                          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                          When I photograph weddings I use 2 Nikon cameras one has a longer lens and the other a wide angle. The problem is I interchange the cameras quite a bit throughout the day.

Moving forward, here's a tip for managing the capture times of multiple cameras for a wedding shoot.  At the beginning, have each camera take a pic of the same digital watch or phone screen (showing seconds).  Then in LR, select all the pics from a camera, with the watch pic the "most selected" (target).  Then in the Edit Capture Time command,  set the time to the time shown on the watch in the pic -- all the other pics will be adjusted accordingly.

Some people have found this much faster than futzing with obscure camera-settings menus, especially when you're in a rush or there are multiple photographers involved.   (I forgot who first posted the tip, but it's great.)