11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 4:43 PM by A.T. Romano

My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why

barbaral62020778

why will my elements 13 not find untagged itesm

• 1. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
          A.T. Romano Level 7

barbaral

What is your "Elements 13" program. It sounds like you are working with Photoshop Elements 13, not Premiere Elements 13 (video editor). Or, more specifically are you in the Elements Organizer 13 searching for untagged items?

Somehow your thread got posted in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum. If you are dealing exclusively with photos, please post your thread in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum to take advantage of the specialized expertise there.

Photoshop Elements

Is this problem new? Has the feature been working for you before?

ATR

• 2. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
            barbaral62020778 Level 1

Thank you for your help.  i will re post my on photoshop elements.  This is a new problem with my upgrade to photoshop elements 13.  I have tried to “repair” my catalogue, not luck.  I can create a new album and the feature works, will find untagged items.  My main catalog will not find untagged items…I have app 80,000 pictures, but have been told that should not matter. 

Any ideas on what I could try?

thank you

Barbara

• 3. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
              A.T. Romano Level 7

barbaral

Thanks for the reply.

80,000 pictures are a lot of pictures. If you have a good backup of the catalog....

From the point of view of the Elements Organizer 13

1. You have gone through Repair and assumed Optimize in the Catalog Manager. But, have you tried to flush the Elements Organizer settings file.

In Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit it is found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming it to psa.prfOLD.

Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. Never had 80000 pictures in the Elements Organizer so I cannot speak to its feature limits when it comes to picture count.

I wonder about the logistics of creating a new catalog for all 80000 pictures.

There are several Elements Organizer experts (Barbara Brundage and others) who visit the Photoshop Elements Forum. Hoping that

they will have first hand insights into your issue.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
                barbaral62020778 Level 1

Thank you

Is there a “flush” using a Mac?

I don’t think I could do another catalog, I’ve spent the last four months redoing this catalog as I lost all the tags when I changed from Windows to Mac.  I still have some tweaking on my tags.  I do love having all my pictures tagged, most have at least 3 tags, so i can find by people, place, events…I think elements has the very best organizer, i love the concept, just hope I don’t loose my tags ever again.  And sure would love to have the “untagged” feature work, but not enough to go through redoing  my tags.  I do have two back ups, one off site…

I have done both the repair & optimize…but not a flush If you know how to do on a Mac, I’ll give it a whirl

Thank you for your help

Barbara

• 5. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Barbara

I am not sure where to find psa.prf when using Elements Organizer Mac. But, maybe we can get there with a shortcut?

Open Premiere Elements 13 to the Expert workspace. Look to the bottom left of that workspace to find the Organizer Tab.

As you hold down on your Command+Option+Shift key, click and hold click on Organizer Tab for about 30 seconds.

Then release just the hold on the Organizer Tab (keep the hold down on those 3 keys).

You should then see a pop up requesting to permission to delete the Elements Organizer Setting file. Click Yes.

Then release the hold down on those 3 keys.

ATR

• 6. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
                    barbaral62020778 Level 1

Thank you, I tried this, twice, and no change…

any other ideas?

thanks for you help

Barbara

• 7. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

barbaral

Can you add say 3 new files into the Elements Organizer? Give them distinctive names so that they cannot be confused with any other files already in the Elements Organizer. Do not tag these files. If so, please do that, and determine if the current catalog's Find Untagged Items finds them.

If they do, then perhaps we can explore some properties of the untagged ones that are not being identified by the feature.

Also, to be extra cautious, look at this with and without a closing of the Elements Organizer/program and a restart of the computer.

Have you tried that yet?

ATR

• 8. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
                        barbaral62020778 Level 1

tried downloading 4 new photos from my desktop…

did not tag

ran find untagged, nothing

did a restart on my computer

opened elements

ran find untagged, nothing

any other ideas?

thanks again for trying

Barbara

• 9. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Barbara

Thanks for trying the suggestions.

At this point, I think you major hope for success with the present catalog and Find Untagged Items is through the Photoshop Elements Forum people like MichelParis, Barbara Brundage, et al.

You have tried the Repair catelog. Did you do that with the Repair dialog's "Re-index Visual Similarity Data" option enabled?

ATR

• 10. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
                            barbaral62020778 Level 1

I did the repair and optimize with the re-index visual similar …. option disabled…  When I was chatting with photoshop, they said leave it disabled, should i try enabled…do you know what this will do

thanks

• 11. Re: My Elements 13 will not find untagged items, why
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Barbara

I am not sure of the complete function of re-index visual similarity data and its aside attributes, but the Catalog Manager's Repair seems to suggest its use as part of the generalized Repair process.

Please refer to the following section on Repair

Troubleshoot catalog issues | Organizer | Elements 6 and later

It is worth a try if you have a backup for the original catalog.

ATR