8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2015 7:34 PM by Kelly McCathran

InDesign 5.5 pages tab freezing

j_effland

Hello there,

I am working with a 32 bit version of InDesign 5.5; I recently upgraded my Dell Studio 15 to Windows 10. I have an Intel i5 processor with 6 GB of RAM.

While working on a portfolio with about 70 pages I noticed a decrease in performance and response within the program. Particularly, the page thumbnails in the pages tab locked up and refused to refresh. This, of course, makes navigating the document extremely difficult. I thought the file may be getting too large so I split it in half and saved it as two smaller files. This did not solve the problem. Since then, I have discovered a way to force the error to occur. All I have to do is enter display mode, let a few spreads load, then exit back to the working interface and the pages tab will be frozen. I can still work on the document, slowly, but have found the best work around is to save the file, close the program, and re-launch the application. This returns the program back to normal operations....for a while. Is this a known issue? Has anyone found a permanent solution? I tried looking online but all the discussion I have found is focused on the latest version of InDesign on the cloud...

• 1. Re: InDesign 5.5 pages tab freezing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think the problem is your low-end processor and minimum RAM (which you may also be sharing with the video rather than having dedicated video RAM).

• 2. Re: InDesign 5.5 pages tab freezing
            j_effland Level 1

While I appreciate the suggestion, I don't see how my system specs could be the cause. Both my processor and RAM are well above the system requirements from Adobe (i.e. Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 64 with 1 GB RAM *2GB recommended). Additionally, I have been running this version of InDesign, on this machine, with Windows 7 problem free for almost 6 years. This issue only arose after upgrading to Windows 10.

• 3. Re: InDesign 5.5 pages tab freezing
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Maybe you should upgrade to InDesign CC2015 with Windows 10.

• 4. Re: InDesign 5.5 pages tab freezing
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Minimum specs will allow the program to run, but not necessarily run well.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: InDesign 5.5 pages tab freezing
                  j_effland Level 1

Willi;

I know pulling the plug and starting over with a new software would work. But that isn't exactly solving the problem, it's abandoning it. I would really like to fix what I have now. It was working a week ago, now it's not. Furthermore, I don't even want to 'upgrade' to the cloud. I stand against it on principle. I would like to pay for my software outright so that I own my software outright. Monthly payments for a software I don't even use every month does not appeal to me. But that's another issue altogether...

• 6. Re: InDesign 5.5 pages tab freezing
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

IT’s not starting over with a new software, it’s upgrading to the current version. You can work on. Avoiding the cloud means stopping using InDesign with a new OS. No version was ever designed to be functioning with every new OS. So the cloud is even less in price than permanent licences.

• 7. Re: InDesign 5.5 pages tab freezing
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Upgrading directly from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is a bit of a crapshoot. Microsoft did an excellent job and my 8.1 to 10 upgrade was flawless, but from 7 you'd have to expect issues. I was fully prepared to do a clean install after the upgrade.

My advice is to do a clean install of Win 10 before you do anything else and to be aware that CS5.5 is not supported under it. The i5 isn't all that horrible but the 6GB is pretty low. I assume you have a 64bit version of Windows but CS5.5 is only 32bit so you have that limitation as well.

Even moving to CS6 would be an improvement and your CS5.5 license does qualify you for an upgrade.

• 8. Re: InDesign 5.5 pages tab freezing
                        Kelly McCathran User Group Manager

There are a lot of reasons why Adobe lists "minimum" requirements on their software, but they don't list "ideal" requirements. RAM is cheap, the more you have, the faster everything is. I don't recommend anything below 8 GB for people running Creative Cloud (or Creative Suite) software (unless they only run 1 or 2 programs at a time, and 1 of those can't be Photoshop, which requires a lot more RAM).

You mention that this is a 6 year old machine, meaning slower processor, 32 bit architecture, and lower MHz. Most computer life cycles are 3 - 4 years (maximum), with higher-end tech companies leaning towards 2 years: https://www.404techsupport.com/2014/08/2-year-pc-refresh-cycle/

I realize budget is a concern (I am self-employed), but how much time are you spending in your day watching progress bars, or fighting software issues that may be fixed by a newer, cheaper, faster computer?