1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 16, 2015 6:23 PM by A.T. Romano

How to burn a video DVD (with chapters) using PremElem?

zac100

Using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 PC.

I have six .wmv files (ranging from 25MB to 160MB) and I'd like to create a DVD for playback on my TV.  I would like for each individual .wmv file to be a new chapter, selectable from a menu.  In a perfect world, there would be two menus -- one menu with "play all" and "select a chapter" options, and another menu that opens after you click "select a chapter" and has all six chapter options (each with a title that I can edit.  In a less-than-perfect world, I'd be ok with just the menu where you can select each individual chapter (this is a video portfolio of musical performances, not a "story" told through several successive chapters).

Is there any way to do this on Premiere Elements?  Everything I've seen has referenced using some program called Encore to actually burn the DVD, but I don't have that program (and, unless it's free, I'm not planning on getting it any time soon).

As an alternative, I do have access to Premiere Pro at work...but I was hoping to do this project tonight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
      Thank you!
      Zac

• 1. Re: How to burn a video DVD (with chapters) using PremElem?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

zac100

Premiere Elements 11 on Window 7 64 bit.

First fact to remember is that Premiere Elements 11 allows you only 25 Timeline menu markers in contrast to Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 13/13.1 which offer 99.

The Premiere Elements Movie Menu (Disc Menu) comes in a set of Main Menu and Scene Menu with Play All and Scene buttons on the Main Menu and Scene buttons on the Scene Selection page.

One scenario for your Movie Menu - Placement of Timeline menu markers....

Scene Marker at the beginning of the first Movie on the Timeline

Stop Marker at the end of the first Movie

Leave a  5 frames gap

Scene Marker at the beginning of the second Movie on the Timeline

Stop Marker at the end of the second Movie

continue in this pattern until you get to the sixth Movie

Leave a 5 frames gap between the end of fifth Movie and the beginning of the sixth Movie

Scene Marker at the beginning of the sixth Movie

Absolutely NO Stop Marker at the end of the sixth Movie

Make sure to evaluate the Movie Menu customization area Preview to make sure the navigation buttons are working. The Preview quality is typically not the greatest so best use Preview to test the menu navigation buttons.

In this scenario

1. Main Menu - Play All button is meaningless, selecting it will take the view to Movie 1 only with a return to the main menu after Movie 1 playback

Scenes button - will take the viewer to the Scene Selection page where each Movie can be selected. After each scene selection, that scene will play back and

then the viewer is  returned to the Main Menu.

If you omit the Stop Markers, the Main Menu Play All will be functional. However, the viewer can select Movie 3 for example but when it finishes its playback the playback of Movie 4 will start, no return to Main Menu until the end of Movie 6.

Please review and consider and then we can discuss the above further in context with your project goal. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR