15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 12:50 PM by thewoj

Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF

thewoj Level 1

Hey there, I am having issues importing NEFs from my V1 into any Adobe App. My V1 is firmware 1.4, and my Lightroom is 6.1.1, Photoshop is 13.0.6, and I just installed the latest camera raw and the DNG converter won't even recognize the files.

On the other hand, Preview in OS X and Nikon's VIEWNX2 both play nice with the files. I pulled the files directly off the memory card (in Finder) onto an external hard drive, and have tried several different SD cards. Lightroom is playing fine with my various Sony Alpha ARW files, as well as Pentax DNGs.

As well, the import tool in Lightroom does not recognize the files when they are on the card.

The error message I get from Lightroom is "The file is not supported by the raw format support in Lightroom."

I have posted some test shots to the following location, in case anyone can test them out for me:

http://gregwojdak.com/nikon/

Any help would be appreciated - I am trying to process some timelapses raw through Lightroom, so converting to JPG or Tiff in VIEWNX somewhat defeats the purpose.

Thanks,

Greg

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

List of supported cameras and relevant LR version: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

The installed Camera Raw version is not relevant for LR since it uses its own internal raw engine.

So, that should really work.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
            thewoj Level 1

Yep, I checked the compatibility, my camera has been supported since version 3.6 of Lightroom and 6.6 of Camera Raw.

I was just noting that the pictures worked in neither Adobe engine.

As noted in my post, Lightroom is returning an error stating "The file is not supported by the raw format support in Lightroom", as well as not showing preview images before trying to add to catalog. Camera Raw itself is just stating that any directory with these NEF files does not contain Camera Raw images.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF

Unfortunately, I am not near my LR computer for the next few hours and can not test the images with LR.

With my viewer available here, the files seem OK.

Sorry ... you will have to wait for somebody else testing the files with LR ... or me later back on my LR computer.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
                thewoj Level 1

No problem, thank you for your assistance.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
                  thewoj Level 1

Thank you for the link!

I did try this as well but it would not load the images as they were not created by one of the D-series cameras on the list.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

If you take some NEW photos and never touch them with the Nikon software will they load into Lightroom.  I can confirm your files will not load in Lr2015cc

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
                      thewoj Level 1

Yep, I did not touch the last 2 of the 3 images in that zip with Nikon software. And they were not recognized by Lightroom while they were still fresh on the memory card.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF

Somehow OT: What ever you did with the first one, it kinda messed up the EXIF. It shows me 1/6400 Sec. with f/1.4 and ISO100 ... I think the 1/6400 is messed up.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
                          thewoj Level 1

The f1.4 is messed up, it is a lens adapter that does not properly register aperture (aperture was closer to f4). I have tried importing photos without a lens attached (I do not have the kit lens anymore), to the same effect.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
                            cppasm Level 3

This is probably your memory card or other hardware, maybe cardreader.

All three files are broken, only embedded JPEG preview if fine.

I've verified them using CaptureOne, ACDSee Pro and RawDigger - images reported to have errors and renders as black image with colored stripes.

The RAW data is not there or seriously corrupted...

First - if you use notebook, do not use embedded card reader, they often produce broken files for some reason.

Try using external card reader or better download files from camera directly.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
                              Keith_Reeder Level 4

They're also broken in DxO Optics Pro and in Photo Ninja.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
                                thewoj Level 1

Thank you very much for the analysis! This is very disturbing to me as I see numerous threads with similar problems out of camera or from VIEWNX2, it seems like NEF files are super delicate.

I actually used 2 different cards and an external card reader to pull the files directly off the cards. I will try connecting the camera directly and pulling the files off that way.

Of note, I have never had an issue with any of my other [non-Nikon] bodies using the same workflow, cards, card reader, etc.

I will post back when I have tested from the camera directly.

• 14. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
                                  thewoj Level 1

So this is where I am at.

I have been playing around with different scenarios lately, trying to create a scenario where these NEF images work. I loaded these images into Rawdigger and got similar results to what was described. I also tried a different memory card, as well as using USB from the camera and trying to import directly to Lightroom. Using USB off camera, I was able to finally get image previews in Lightroom but still the same error message when trying to import. I also tried to reset the camera settings as well as format the card to no avail. I also checked out an NEF I took with a J3 that I had for a short period of time, and that had no issues in Lightroom or Rawdigger. I had another V1 at one point, but I was only shooting JPG with it so I have no NEFs to test from it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe what I am seeing in OSX/ViewNX2 are JPEGs but are actually the raw files. My evidence is this: I still have enough latitude to bring down overexposed images 2 stops and have detail show up in the highlights. Also, the image gets slightly flatter when I click the RAW button in the upper left hand corner of the ViewNX2 interface (default is off, for some reason). I have added screencaps of what I am talking about to the directory:

http://gregwojdak.com/nikon/

It just seems like there is much more latitude than would be available from a JPEG.

1%20Original.jpg

^^^ This is as the ViewNX2 loads it ^^^

2%20RAW%20on.jpg

^^^ This is with RAW turned on in the upper left ^^^

3%20Exposure%20Compensated.jpg

^^^ -2 EV ^^^

The head of the seagull was very much blown out. To further test this, I output a JPEG and 16-bit tiff from the RAW NEF file using ViewNX2, brought those into preview and cranked the levels to see what detail there was in the highlights.

4%20JPG.jpg

^^^ ViewNX2 JPEG output with cranked levels in Preview ^^^

5%2016b%20Tiff.jpg

^^^ ViewNX2 16b Tiff output with cranked levels in Preview ^^^

Based on the correction applied to the 3rd image I posted, it would seem to me that the RAW files are actually there, but can only be correctly interpreted by a select few programs. If anyone sees any flaws in my logic, I would love to know more.

Thanks!

Greg

• 15. Re: Lightroom 6.1.1 not recognizing Nikon V1 NEF
                                    thewoj Level 1

So, I was poking around the EXIF data using RAWDigger and I think I found a couple of issues with the images out of my camera. I am not sure how to interpret some of these EXIF tags, but here are a few glaring discrepencies I found between my photos and NEF example photos I downloaded from around the web. Please note, the latest firmware I could find an example photo taken with was 1.3, my camera is using 1.4; but I don't think this explains these issues.

1. File sizes from my camera were in the 16-17mb range,

Up from 9-10mb from the 3 examples I downloaded.

2. Strip offsets for my camera were listed as: (Binary data 1998 bytes, use -b option to extract)

Whereas all of the example images listed them in plain text as numbers in the range of 1782496 to 2341504.

3. Rows per strip for my camera were listed as 11.

All other images as 2606 (the height in pixels of the output image)

4. Strip byte counts were once again listed as binary data: (Binary data 1421 bytes, use -b option to extract)

Whereas example images showed values ranging from 7768150 to 8571244

5. NEF compression for my images is listed as "Unknown (5)",

Example images listed this as "Lossy (type 2)".

6. My images do not contain a "NEF Linearization Table" value (does not even show up in the EXIF info).

Example images have such a value listed as "(Binary data 624 bytes, use -b option to extract)"

I sat around on Terminal punching random commands into EXIFTool for quite a few hours trying to fix these issues. I was able to copy over the MakerNotes which contains NEF Compression and Linearization Table, but that just screwed up the image for all applications involved (including Preview/iPhoto which was previously able to read the images) and didn't fix compatibility with Photoshop CS6 (which is what I was using to test Adobe compatibility).

Has anyone else ever seen this sort of issue before? Does anyone who knows more about metadata than I know whether these differences could be causing the problems shown earlier in this thread?

Thanks,

Greg