8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 6:14 PM by dpolkat3

Getting AVI renders to work

dpolkat3 Level 1

AE CS6 on a Win 7 Pro computer with plenty of memory and fast CPU (GPU). I can render in all the codecs including H264, but NOT AVI! AVI renders play back jerkily regardless of chosen resolution. Perhaps the AVI codec is bad, as AVI's play badly in my other players as well. What to do?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Getting AVI renders to work
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Same as your several other threads: Nobody can tell you anything without exact system info, exact render settings and things like which tools/ procedures you use to review the output, where it's stored and so on. From lacking hardware acceleration in your player software to file I/O bottlenecks this could be anything.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Getting AVI renders to work
            dpolkat3 Level 1

Okay, I'll try. The computer uses an ASUS P5N7A motherboard with 6 gigs memory. CPU is an Intel Q9300 2.50GHz 4 core. The card is a GeForce 9500GT (running in CUDA mode). Yes, the computer is slightly older, but works fine. I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64bit. After Effects CS6 version 11.0.4.2 installed normally. My camera is a Nikon 1 V1 and it's files are input as MOV's. My sequence settings are at 1920x1080 at 29.97fps. When rendering Video Output is set to RGB, millions of colors, premultiplied (Matted), audio on.

It will render in any format I choose just fine....except AVI (I usually render in H264). I usually view my outputs on the VideoLAN VLC player, but the problem shows on any player. Resulting AVI files either won't play or are very jittery. All other formats play just fine. I need AVI for a particular project.

Does the above help?  Thanks!

• 4. Re: Getting AVI renders to work
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As the link I shared says, a file will play back jittery if the data rate is too much for the hard drive. And, unless you have some kind of beastly RAID setup, an uncompressed AVI is going to have a data rate that is much too high.

Bring those "jittery" AVIs into Premiere, put an effect on them that requires Premiere to render them (such as Broadcast Colors), and then play back or, heck, reimport them into AE and start a RAM preview! In either case, it will probably be nice and smooth.

Now, AVI is just a container format. Why do you need it for this particular project? What codec do you need? This part is important.

• 5. Re: Getting AVI renders to work
                dpolkat3 Level 1

After reading your link above, I see the point of AVI files. The work I do is not that deep. The hugeness of AVI is too much for my computer to play. My client wanted AVI to continue working on it I have found out. That's okay. I'll make him an AVI and be done with it. Much thanks for all the help!!

• 6. Re: Getting AVI renders to work
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No problem!

• 7. Re: Getting AVI renders to work
                    Warren Heaton Adobe Community Professional

Hi dpolkat3:

It's not so much the format as it is the settings.

If you're using "Best Settings" for your Render Settings template and "Lossless" for your Output Module template on Windows in recent versions of AE, you're getting a video file that's as large as it can possibly be.  The resulting file is likely to have a sustained data transfer rate that's higher than what most computers (not just yours) support.

But, I think all this has been covered in one form or another already.

When the output requirements for a project exceed the playback capabilities of my computer (I tend to hit the performance ceiling of my computer with 4K footage) and I want to check the rendered file before handing it off to the client, I find it helpful to drag and drop the rendered AVI file into Adobe Media Encoder and convert it to a H264 file (I usually use "Match Source - High Bit Rate"). The resulting MP4 plays fine and since it's based on the rendered AVI it's a good representation of it as well.  I then give the client both the AVI and the MP4, explaining the the MP4 is a low-bandwidth version for playback.

-Warren

• 8. Re: Getting AVI renders to work
                      dpolkat3 Level 1

Warren, yep your last paragraph is pretty much what I've learned from you and all who answered. Thanks again guys!