9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2007 10:10 AM by micdim

Editing iframes in Contribute 4?

micdim
      Hello everyone! First time here!

I've created a website with each page having an iframe. These iframes have a forceframe action applied to them.

My problem is that when I try to edit them in Contribute, i can't see the iframe because it keep going back to the forced frame page that it's hooked up to.

Anyone know of any workaround, or does Contribute 4 actually allow to edit iframes?

Your advise would be greatly appreciated!
        • 1. Re: Editing iframes in Contribute 4?
          HangD
          Hi, unfortunately there are some limitations please take a look at this http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_18536 -
          This is a known issue when more than one IFrame is being used. Contribute can work correctly with only one IFrame within a page. Multiple IFrames can confuse the program.

The issue can also arise with some types of JavaScript navigation menus and banner ad software. Some JavaScript menus will use IFrames hidden within the script.

document.write('<ifr'+'ame src= . . . ></ifr'+'ame>');

This will create an IFrame that is hidden or not obvious. Contribute may interpret this code as multiple IFrames indicating multiple frames within the page. This causes Contribute to prompt the user to choose a frame for editing. Banner ad software code frequently use IFrames to display revolving content.
          • 2. Re: Editing iframes in Contribute 4?
            micdim Level 1
            Hi HangD,

I only have one iframe in each page, but I do have the javascript in the iframe .html page that forces the iframe .html page to load in the main selected page.

For example:

index.html has an iFrame included.
            The actual iFrame page is called bio.html.
            The forceframe javascript is in the bio.html page.

So if someone was to open up the bio.html on it's own, it would be forced to appear inside the index.html page.

Is this not fixed in Contribute 4? If not what a shame.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thank again HangD
            micdim

• 3. Re: Editing iframes in Contribute 4?
              HangD Level 1
              Hi micdim,
              I will research this further and get back to you, do you have a link to your site you can send me so I can get a better idea of how your page is set up. - if you don't want to post it via the forums, please send it via the private message option under my profile name.

• 4. Re: Editing iframes in Contribute 4?
                al j
                I am also having this problem. I have only one iframe in the index.html page calling a html page with an image and some text in it. I am not using force frames. The iframe does not appear at all in contribute.

Ideally i want to see the iframe in contribute within the index.html page and beable to edit the iframe content without haveing to open up the iframe content seperately.
                • 5. Re: Editing iframes in Contribute 4?
                  micdim Level 1
                  Hi Al j,

I haven't found a workaround for this problem as of yet. Hopefully someone has some answers.

Here's some info on the problem that was already given by HangD in a previous answer.
                  http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18536
                  • 6. Re: Editing iframes in Contribute 4?
                    al j Level 1
                    Hi micdim,

Thanks for the link. I had actually found that reference earlier and that is actually what set me thinking that at least one iframe should work as it suggests, upon till that point I had thought that iframes did not work at all in contribute.

Keep me in the loop if you hear anything as I will in return.
                    • 7. Re: Editing iframes in Contribute 4?
                      Level 7
                      An iframe points to a separate file. Just edit that file.

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:47:15 +0000 (UTC), "al j"
                      <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I am also having this problem. I have only one iframe in the index.html page
                      >calling a html page with an image and some text in it. I am not using force
                      >frames. The iframe does not appear at all in contribute.
                      >
                      > Ideally i want to see the iframe in contribute within the index.html page and
                      >beable to edit the iframe content without haveing to open up the iframe content
                      >seperately.

• 8. Re: Editing iframes in Contribute 4?
                        al j Level 1
                        Hi Mister Mustard,

I am aware that the seperate file can be amended, this is something I am able to do but the final client does not understand HTML construction and was looking to be able to edit all components within one page.
                        • 9. Re: Editing iframes in Contribute 4?
                          micdim Level 1
                          The point of iFrames is to have an external file that loads into a page, so that you only have to edit the Iframe page itself and not the main page that holds the iFrame. This way you can have many pages load into one Main page.

The problem with iFrames is that if someone finds the iFrame page itself on a Search Engine like Google, the page won't load into the main page unless you have a forceFrame javascript in the iFrame.

So here's where the problem with Contribute comes into play when you have the ForceFrame Javascript in the iFrame.

You can't edit the iFrame because Contribute works just like a browser, and forces the iFrame to load into the Main Page, thus you can't open the iFrame in Contribute.

I really hope they fix this problem as it renders Contribute useless for any of my Websites that use iFrames.

Once again if anyone has any solutions to this, please let us all know.

Micim