3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 12:12 PM by IsakTen

Expired Digital ID

I have not been able to find any information on expired Digital IDs. I know a digital ID expires 5 years after it has been created.  I have two questions:

-  I don't believe the expired digital ID can be renewed, correct?  If that is correct should you just delete the expired digital ID and create a new one?

- What happens if someone tries to sign a PDF with an expired digital ID?  Is there a notification given?

Thank you!!

• 1. Re: Expired Digital ID
          IsakTen Level 4

If you're talking about self-signed Digital ID that you created, then the answer is yes, create a new one after it has expired.

If you procured a Digital ID (signing certificate) from a CA, contact this CA to issue you a new certificate.

You may want to keep your old one to validate signatures that you created with it.

• 2. Re: Expired Digital ID
            jamies421 Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  I'm referring to a self-signed digital ID I created.  Do you happen to know what would happen if you tried to sign a PDF with an expired self-signed digital ID?  Would it allow you to use it but show invalid?  Or will you receive a notification that it is expired? 

• 3. Re: Expired Digital ID
              IsakTen Level 4

Acrobat will not allow you to use an expired Digital ID for signing. It just will not show up in the list of available Digital IDs in the "Sign" dialog.