21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 11:17 AM by A.T. Romano

PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added

HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Running PE 13.1 on a WIN7 64-Bit PC...

Curious "happening" - I've been working on a HD video project for some time, adding "Default Text" in Video track 2 & 3, changing font, size etc.  Also using fade in/out.

Today I noticed when I added a new text (I pressed the Render button) that when I previewed that section as soon as the text appeared the underlying video pixelated - sort of went out of focus.

Once the text was finished picture was normal.

If I deleted the newly-added text, render & preview it was OK.

Sections with Text that I had added some days/weeks ago still look OK - I think.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
          A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIKE

No explanation yet, but some things to try in the Expert workspace...

1. If the video is on Video 1 and the Titler text is on Video 2 directly above, move video to Video 3 and move Text to Video 4...then render if there is an orange render indicator line over the content of Video 3 and 4.

2. Is there anything different applied to that section of the video clip? I ran into the unusual case of viewing text with auto color applied to video.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2015/01/pe-13-titler-and-auto-color-adjusted.html

But, remotely resembles your issue's profile.

3. Where is the default text coming from - Text Menu/New/Default Text or Titles & Text Tab/General/Default Text?

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
            HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I tried Suggestion #1 - an orange render indicator line did appear hence I rendered.

However the problem is still there.  In fact, if I look carefully it seems to happen every time a text is placed into a video clip.  Its just that its more noticeable in some cases than others.  It also only appears to happen the first second or so of a (e.g.) 5 second text.

I have not (knowingly) used "auto color".

What I had done yesterday (before starting work) was to do some "tidying up".  After every major edit I save the project with a modified name (appending -a, -b etc) so that if disaster strikes I can go back.  I removed old .prtl files (harmless I guess) and cleaned the various directories (Auto Save, Previous Files...).  On starting PE with latest project it asked where some files were - I said to ignore (or whatever term was) and did a render which ran over whole project.  Exiting & reloading the latest project then worked without "where is this file".

• 3. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
              HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

So here is something interesting.  I Started a new project, with just one video clip from the Elements Organizer thatr I'd been using before.

Using Text and Titles / Default Text (which I've been using all along) I added one simple text in Video 2 above the middle of the clip.  No fading in/out.

I rendered - and hey presto - when I viewed the clip as soon as the text appeared it went major-fuzzy for the first second or so of the text clip then slightly fuzzy until the text clip ended then all was as focused as before.

• 4. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIKE

When you apply a Fade In Video to the text file above the video below it, the shortcut automatically sets a fade in with a duration of 1 second.

When you apply a Fade Out Video to that same clip, that shortcut automatically sets a fade out with a duration of 1 second. You wrote that "It also only appears to happen the first second or so a (e.g.) 5 second text." If fades are involved, your observation on the problem timing seems to point to fades as a factor. But, then the question becomes "Does this problem happen only when you use text file with Fade In or Fade Out applied?

Please remind me....

1. If you start a new project, does the problem exist?

2. If you accept the rendered Timeline results which still have the problem in the Edit area and export that Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive, do you see the problem in the export when it is played back with one of your computer players?

I am remembering a fairly recent thread with this type of question. I do not recall the outcome. I will see if I can find it..

ATR

Add On...You cannot move, delete, or rename files and folders that were imported into the project after the project was saved closed without consequences of missing (disconnected) source media. More on that next if necessary.

• 5. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIKE

I did not see your latest results until after I had just posted (post 4).

What are your Opacity readings as you travel the Timeline.

For each of the clips involved, select the clip, go to its Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Opacity Panel expanded.

On the Timeline, move the Timeline Indicator from left to right and note if the Opacity slider in the Opacity Panel expanded stays at 100%.

If you have not already, explore the factors of creating the titles with Text Menu/New Text/Default Text.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                    HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I had also wondered whether something had changed with the Opacity...

In my test project (one HD video clip in Video 1 & a single Default Text for 5 seconds in the middle).

Regardless of which item (video or text) I select the Opacity appears to remain at 100% all the time.

I tried the alternative method of creating a title (also no fading) - similar (or same) effect.

The pixelating or "fuzzyness" starts immediately the text clip is encountered & is at its worst for about 1 second.  It continues at reduced level for entire text clip - as soon as that ends the remaining video is as sharp as ever.

Maybe this evening I can try to publish the test video to a computer file & see whether the effect is also to be seen.

• 7. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                      HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Due to rain I'm still here...

As an exercise I published my 21-second test video (with 2 text clips) to YouTube:   https://youtu.be/Ua8BMF8fPXI

(Clip is from last year's vacation is US - Crater Lake / Oregon)

The pixelation / fuzziness does not seem to appear here.

Hence it would seem possibly be an issue when previewing within PE 13.1.  Still its really strange as this only started to happen a few days ago.

• 8. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIKE

Thanks for the updates and all the troubleshooting that you are doing.

1. If you have not already, please right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, then Highest. Did that make a difference to the problem?

2. For HD projects, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General, and Timeline Rendering Quality, and make sure it is set for High quality, Slow speed. Did that make a difference to the problem?

ATR

• 9. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                          HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

To (1) It was "Automatic", I changed to "Highest" but no apparent effect.

To (2) It was "Draft Quality, High Speed" changed to "High quality, Slow speed" but again with no apparent effect wrt the pixelating. 

Maybe the general preview was less smooth but not certain about that.

• 10. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIKE

Where have you been previewing...Edit area monitor or the file's Preview Windows accessed by double clicking the file's thumbnail in Project Assets or the copy of the file on the Timeline?

Do you see this problem at regular viewing as well as Full Screen in the Edit area?

ATR

• 11. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                              HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I guess its in the Edit area monitor - just above the Timeline.  See following screen shorts (clipped to try & keep sizes down).

The firest screen shot is how it looks just before encountering the first text clip (all is great):

fuzzy-1.jpg

The second attachment is just one frame into the text clip.  It looks OK but on detailed examination it is slightly fuzzy (see the bare trees to right):

fuzzy-2.jpg

Now if we step frame-by-frame at about frame 9 it starts to get blotchy & at frame 15 its terrible (frame 9 below, look @ trees to right):

fuzzy-3.jpg

This state continues for 1-2 seconds then it goes back to "slightly fuzzy" and once the text clip is past its 100% sharp.

It makes no difference if I switch into full-screen mode.

HEM

• 12. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

Not sure if I asked you before

1. What happens if you move Video 2/Video1 to the upper tracks, example Video 3/Video 2 or Video 4/Video 3?

2. What is the Scan type (interlaced or progressive) of the m2ts file that you have in screenshot 3 in post numbered 11.

3. When you did your export of that Timeline content as is and did not find this problem in viewing the export, what were your export settings, for interlaced or progressive export file?

ATR

• 13. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                                  HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

1) "Fuzzy-Effect" still preset (just as before)

2) The Video clip is just one single clip - from a Panasonic HD V727 Camcorder.  Is it the Properties that you need?

fuzzy-4.jpg

3) Not sure I understood the question.  I am creating a set of "notes" about things I "discover" in PE:

The steps I use for a HD video to YouTube are:

1. Login into the YouTube account from a browser.
                                  2. In Premier Elements Video Editor select Publish+Share then Social Websites.
                                  3. Select In the Presets pull-down change to PAL HD-Video for YouTube – 1920x1080 & click Next.
                                  4. Fill out the video details & press Weiter.

(For some reason PE hs a mixture of German & English in the GUI - possible due to my first installing with German & theen re-installing with English).

• 14. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                                    HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I made some further tests:

In the mini test project (where the screen shopts in post #11 came from) I added an additional text clip of a different type (just in case something was wrong with the "Default Text".  Fuzzyness was also there - maybe not as bad as with the "Default Text" but that may just be my eyes...

Another test I made - I opened two completed projects (from the same HD Camcorder) to see what happens when a text clip appears (not making

any changes to the project - the text was already there).  There was no "disasterous" fuzziness as in screen-shot #3 of post 11 - if one looked closely maybe there was slight fuzziness but so slight its possible that I might have originally overlooked it.

One of these videos is aready uploaded to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHEomTkCdOU  (but it seems that this format is "fuzzyless").

• 15. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

That is a great looking YouTube video - the clarify and scenes are great...best of all "fuzzyless".

At this point, are we in agreement that the issue of the fuzzy video underneath the text is in previewing only?

And, is the fuzzyness only in the new project and essentially not there in the old project?

Also, in your tests to determine "Default Text" source, by the following are you saying that it did not matter if the Default Text was from

Text Menu/New Text/Default Text

or

Titles & Text Tab/General/Default Text?

If video card/graphics card driver version is not involved, let us explore deletion of the Adobe Premiere Element Prefs file and then opening a new project and looking at this previewing  issue. I would stay with the Default Text from Text Menu/New Text/Default Text for now. For Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 64 bit, the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file can be found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, you can delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path to the file.

Depending on your latest results, you may want to leave all as is moving forward.

ATR

• 16. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                                        HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

That is a great looking YouTube video - the clarify and scenes are great...best of all "fuzzyless".

I'm flying the thing - I dumped the Camcorder (with minimal briefing) on the lap of Nr 2 & off we went.

So far anything uploaded to YouTube was "fuzzyless".  Not sacrificed a DVD or BluRay yet.

At this point, are we in agreement that the issue of the fuzzy video underneath the text is in previewing only?

Its in previewing only BUT its over the whole picture, not just under text (which I might have thought to be the case initially).

And, is the fuzzyness only in the new project and essentially not there in the old project?

I first saw this on a project that I've been working on for a month or two.  Fuzziness suddenly appeared - in that project - and on secttions where text had already been added.

It also appeared instantly on the new test project.

Also, in your tests to determine "Default Text" source, by the following are you saying that it did not matter if the Default Text was from

Text Menu/New Text/Default Text

or

Titles & Text Tab/General/Default Text?

I had only been using the latter method but I tried the former - also fuzzy.

The PC I use has some simple on-board graphics - its not a "gaming" PC.

I doubt it it can be due to some recent Windows update otherwise it would happen to all projects.  Its as if I have accidently changed some setting in PE-...

So given the above - should I try deleting the Prefs file as you suggest?

• 17. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

Very impressive flying besides video taking.

I would try the deletion of the Prefs file just to rule it in or out. My expectation is not high for it resolving the issue, but ..... The deletion will take your preferences back to the defaults - see Edit Menu/Preferences/General. Also, if you created any Effects Presets, those Effects Presets should survive the Prefs file deletion. After the deletion, the program may open to the Quick workspace. After you use the Expert workspace that should be overcome.

ATR

• 18. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                                            HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Just to clarify - this was a 2-seat glider with myself flying fron the front seat & my passenger filming from the second.  I don't film & fly!

SInce we are looking for something really wierd I tried something else first.  The project where I first noticed the fuzzyness and the small test I made were all in the same directory.  Hence "just in case" I started a new mini project with one video clip & one text clip, stored in a separate directory.  I then rendered.  As soon as the text appears there is fuzzyness - not as bad as the example I showed with the walker on the path & the trees but that my just be due to the different background.

So I wennt ahead and deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

On starting PE it opened into the eLive workspace but I was able to change that.  Also the most recent 3 projects were unknown but no problem to open them.

However, fuzziness is still there.

I suppose I can continue with my big project (where fuzzyness first appeared) but its really rather sad to have to put up with this feature...

Do you have a "Good Connection" to Adfobe to see whether they knwo about this?

• 19. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELCHOMIKE

Thanks for the reply.

I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway and do not have any insider information or contacts from there.

You could report the issue under the Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form  Feature Request/Bug Report Form   but those filings typically do not get a

personalized immediate response. Adobe Staff and the Premiere Elements Help Team do appear in this essentially user to user

forum from time to time, but there is no way of knowing when they will decide to appear here.

Another thought...start a new project and create the titles in that new project. Then save those titles as prtl files to the computer hard drive.

Next, import these titles into the problem project and try to use them instead of the titles created in the problem project's Titler? Does that work?

Just in case message for saving titles...with the Titler closed and your title on the Timeline, go to the Expert workspace Project Assets and highlight and select the title's thumbnail. Then go to File Menu/Export/Title and export the title to the .prtl file. Highlighting and selecting the Project Assets title thumbnail before the FIle Menu/Export/Title is necessary to have an active Title choice with File Menu/Export/Title.

ATR

• 20. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                                                HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I eventually gave up on this & just ignore the fuzzyness.  The resulting video is OK, its just in the preview that the issue occurs.  Treated as being a "feature".

• 21. Re: PE 13.1 - Pixelating When Text Added
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

Thanks for the update. Appreciated.

Very glad to learn that exported video looked OK. Although the previewing left whys, you were able to work through and around that to your success. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR