15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 4:18 PM by mjmbkk

photo library doubled (-2) after sync

mjmbkk Level 1

Bought a new computer Library on an ex drive. Copied catalog to new computer. When the drive was plugged into the new computer it was given a different drive new (I:) -> (J:). About half of the files were recognized. The rest were showing !, If I clicked on the ! the location could be established. The problem I would have had to do this hundreds of times. I contacted Adobe support, teh tech looked at it and said he could fix it. I believe he sync'd it. This resulted is every photo being duplicated with a new file name, adding (-2) to the file name. It ran for 24 hours until my 7T drive was maxed out. I  now have an incomplete, connected library. 2,000 photos are still not located. Is there a way to delete the (-2) files?

• 1. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
          dj_paige Level 9

Synchronizing simply was not the right thing to do.

Do you have a copy or backup of the catalog file from the old computer before all of this happened? If so, the easiest thing to do would be to use this copy/backup, and change the letter of the drive on the new computer from J back to I.

• 2. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
            mjmbkk Level 1

Thank DJ. Yes, I have a backup. I'm just not ready to delete my entire library and restore it.

The sync action was done by an Adobe tech remotely. He tied up my computer for 24 hours. What a waste of time. It's been very frustrating. Thank you, again. I appreciate your reply.

• 3. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
              dj_paige Level 9

I'm just not ready to delete my entire library and restore it.

Isn't that what backups are for? There's no easier way to resolve this problem. I don't understand your reluctance to do this...

• 4. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                mjmbkk Level 1

I tried to restore my  back up. I get the following message. "LR catalog labled LR-5 cannot open because it is too new to be used by this version of LR" I'm running the latest version of LR.

• 5. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                  dj_paige Level 9

What is the version number of Lightroom are you running?

• 6. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                    mjmbkk Level 1

The right question, instead of plugging the ex drive with the backup file into my desktop where I normally work I plugged it into my notebook. My notebook is running LR5, my desktop LR CC. I oved the drive to my desktop, the catalog opens but all the images have the dreaded "!". In LR the drive is id'd as the "J" drive. in File Explorer it is labeled the "G" drive. This is the situation that I was in when I contacted Adobe Support. When I moved my drive and catalog to a new computer half the files were missing. It was then that the tech sync'd or optimized (he was in control & I could follow what he was doing). My concern & caution in restoring the back up is my catalog contains 15 years of keywording.

• 7. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                      dj_paige Level 9

You can't open a catalog from LR CC into LR 5.

To fix the exclamation points, you tell Windows to change the G drive to J

• 8. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                        mjmbkk Level 1

ok, thank you. I really appreciate your help with this.

• 9. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                          mjmbkk Level 1

I've encountered another issue. My reluctance with backing up is lack of experience with having to back up combined with my  fear of losing the years of cataloging my library. I deleted the 2x library and replaced the files. I tried to open the Lightroom only to receive an error message that LR cannot open. How would you suggest I proceed with resolving this issue. I have very little understanding about the catalog and library within Lightroom. What few issues I've had I've let Adobe's techs resolve them. As you have pointed out sync'ing the library has created a problem. I'd appreciated your option. Thank you.

• 10. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                            dj_paige Level 9

Can you give us the full complete unedited word-for-word error message?

• 11. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                              mjmbkk Level 1

LR opened without the message, so I can't send the exact wording.  All of the thumbnails are grayed out with . The program is using the lrcat on G: (backup). I want to use F: larger capacity, where I have copied all my files to from G:. It was after I copied the lrcat file to F: and tried to open it I received the error message.

If I click on and locate the file on the G: drive the file is linked. This is where I was before the tech sync'd my files. When I click on the the message is the file was previously on J: This was before I moved the LR program to the new computer. The original J; was where everything was lrcat and files. I backup to my server with a second back up of the photos on G:

When I tried to restore from the server (first time ever) there was an error message LR could restore from the server. I copied the back up lrcat to G: and tried to restore from there.

What is the correct procedure to connect to the ilcat file on G: without having to click on every day/week folder to connect the files?

To recap: how do I get the correct lrcat on F: and linked to all the files on F: with having to find every photo/file? I believe I received the error message after I copied the lrcat file to F: and tried to open it. I suspect I have to move or copy lrcat from within LR not just copy from G: to F: but don't know how to do that.

• 12. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                                dj_paige Level 9

You need to rename the drives so that it matches what it was before all this trouble began. (If I understand you properly, you want to rename F: to G:, which means you have to first rename G: to something else)

Moving the .LRCAT file has no effect on this, and most likely it ought to be on your fastest drive (if there is enough space) which is probably your C: drive.

• 13. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                                  mjmbkk Level 1

Copy lrcat to c: Rename G: >  J: as this was the previous drive's name?

• 14. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                                    dj_paige Level 9

Right now, Lightroom thinks the photos are on which drive ?? (Let me call this drive1)

And the photos are actually on which drive ?? (Let me call this drive2)

You want to rename, using your operating system, the letter of drive2 to be the letter of drive 1

• 15. Re: photo library doubled (-2) after sync
                                      mjmbkk Level 1

I now have everything back to where it was before I purchased the new computer. I was as simple as renaming the external drive.  Thank you for your help. You have solved the problem.