- First, what platform are you on? Mac or Windows?
- Are there any permissions that don't allow you to save to the Desktop? Are you running the application as an Administrator or a User with limited access?
- Are you trying to save over a signature ID that already exists on the desktop?
- Have you tried changing the name of the signature ID file? And/or saving to your documents folder, or a location other than your desktop?
1 person found this helpful
Just saving an ID file shouldn't delete anything from your hard drive, you may have a virus or something more serious going on...
no permissions, as a user
wasn't saving over any other file
Right now I don't care about saving my id file I'm concerned about retrieving the files that mysteriously disappeared!
Nothing else has been fishy until the very moment I hit save and I could see files disappearing on the desktop and they are no where to be found.
I don't think your files disappearing is related to saving the Acrobat Signature ID. Here is an article, with some links to help you find or recover missing Mac files:
- Do you know the names of the missing files, to be able to search for them?
- There are many utilities to help you recover deleted files (assuming they weren't moved, or over-written during a save).
- Did you, by chance, save the Signature ID file over one of the missing files on your desktop?
Note: Clicking on a grey item in the Save or Save As dialog on the Mac (and Windows), changes the name of the file you are saving, to match the name of the file you clicked on, which can over-write files.
If you switched on Time Machine, now is the time to use it to get back those files.