18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2015 11:26 AM by declanm91633287

Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.

declanm91633287 Level 1

I tried Quick Edit today, and you can drag clips around the timeline fine, but sometimes it goes into a horrid mode where you just move the mouse arrant the timeline and the clip you are dragging moves, when this happens the program crashes very quickly.

I have installed the 13.1 update.  I have a 2009 iMac with 4Gb memory and 1TB hard dive.  The drive has over 500Gb free.  Are there problems with Quick Edit?  The Expert edit mode works well.  I was editing SD 4:3 video at 30fps, it was interlaced, the video was a matter of minutes long.

• 1. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

declanm

I do not recall seeing reported that Expert workspace versus Quick workspace difference in behavior for Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac as you have described.

What is the format of these SD 4:3 video at 30 fps that you are dragging around the Filmstrip assumed from scene space to scene space?

DV.mov @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second or something else?

What is the size of the project (duration of the Filmstrip content) when the problem presents? Could you describe one of the typical movement that triggers the problem?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

ATR

Add On...the last Expert workspace vs Quick workspace problem was the one in 12/12.1 where there was a Text Style issue in the Expert but not the Quick workspace.

That got fixed for 12 in the 12.1 Update.

• 2. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
            declanm91633287 Level 1

ATR,

The source format are Mpeg SD files from a Sony Cybershot Compact camera.  The format is:-

Editing Mode:  Sony XDCAM EX 720p

Timebase: 30.00 frames/second

Video:

Frame size: 640: Horizontal     480: Vertical

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels 1.0

Fields: No Fields (Progressive)

Display Format: 30fps Timecode

Title Safe Area: 20% horizontal: 20% Vertical

Action Safe Area: 10% horizontal: 10% vertical.

Audio: 48,000 Hz

Display format: Audio Samples.

The

Here is a screenshot of the Project Properties dialogue box:-The Media Info output is:-

PE 13 project properties.jpg

The Media Info output is:-

File: MOV05366.MPG

Size: 14.9 MB

Format: MPEG-PS format

Stream count: 2

Duration: 00:00:11

Bit rate: 10472 kb/s

Stream 0

Type: audio

Codec: mp2

Bit rate: 64 kb/s

Sample rate: 32000 Hz

Sample format: s16

Channel: 1

Stream 1

Type: video

Codec: mpeg1video

Duration: 00:00:11

Width: 640

Height: 480

Sample aspect ratio: 1:1

Display aspect ratio: 4:3

Pixel format: yuv420p

Frame rate: 30 fps

Bit rate: 104857 kb/s

The duration of the timeline in total is 3 minutes.  When this first happened I think the timeline was just over a minute.  What is very interesting is that the Audio sample rate of the file is 32kHz and the sample rate as reported by PE 13 is 48kHz.  The audio sounded fine.

• 3. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

declanm

You wrote

What is very interesting is that the Audio sample rate of the file is 32kHz and the sample rate as reported by PE 13 is 48kHz.  The audio sounded fine.

I read that as the project conforming the audio to the sample rate of the project settings which is 48 kHZ.

See Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Guidelines for adding files

The conforming of audio as well as video is a normal process in the Premiere Elements workflow. I suspect that you are not allowing the conforming to go to completion before you start with your Filmstrip activities. Typically you gauge the conforming by observing the progress bar activity at the bottom right of the workspace. Have you ever seen such activities taking place when you import your file into the project?

I would think that you should run into the same situation in both the Expert workspace (works) and the Quick workspace (does not work).

To give this a bit of perspective, I would ask

1. If you import this video audio into the project in the opened Expert workspace, you say that you have no problems. Do you see a progress bar giving conforming status? Do you let the conforming go to completion before you drag the file to the Timeline from Project Assets?

2. After that conforming is finished, and you switch to the Quick workspace (no activity going on in the Expert workspace progress bar) does the program crash once the Quick workspace opens?

3. If you close the project and the program, open a new project and import the same file into the Quick workspace first does the project/program crash?

4. Do you ever get this video in Quick workspace without a crash?

Please consider and then we can think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                declanm91633287 Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for you response.  What "Progress bar" at the bottom right of the workspace?  I can't see any progress bar there when I drag clips from the Organiser tab in the "Add Media" panel.  May be it is happening too quickly?  I have PE 13.1 Trial Version.

• 5. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                  declanm91633287 Level 1

ATR,

I have been looking at the Quick Edit again, and have found what is cousin the movement of the clip you are on without dragging.  If you click  and keep you finger pressed on the trackpad for a few seconds or over a second, and release, when you move the mouse the clip you are under moves with the mouse until you click it again.  You don't have to have a very long click for this to start happening.  Very disconcerting when it first happened.

• 6. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                    declanm91633287 Level 1

ATR,

Further to my previous post I have been checking this again, and am not have much luck reproducing the moving the clip without dragging problem.  It is as I described, you do a long click and it happens, but very intermittently, I can't reproduce it consistently, and when I do I don't know what I have done differently, if anything.  Sorry I can't be more help.  Interestingly no crashes this time, but a shorter timeline, it was short to begin with when this first crashed. !

• 7. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

declanm

Thanks for the follow up replies.

In the Quick workspace, there is no Project Assets intermediate place for the import as there is in the Expert workspace.

What are you doing in the Quick and Expert workspace and comparing - Add Media/Elements Organizer or Add Media/Files and Folders?

Does it make a difference for you other than having to go to the hard drive for your video source when you use Add Media/Files and Folders?

Any difference when you cascade windows and drag and drop the file into these workspaces from the hard drive?

Also, look at Elements Organizer workspace, right click on the file there, and then Edit with Premiere Elements Editor to get the file into

Premiere Elements Editor workspace. Any difference in what you have been observing before?

How much more time do you have with the tryout? We will be watching for further developments and let us know what is happening so that we can

define the situation. I will do some experimenting with the details of your latest replies and report back.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                        declanm91633287 Level 1

Sorry for not coming back earlier.  I have been doing other things, I needed to get a new backup drive and other things needed doing.  I upgraded my OS to OS X Yosemite.  My trial version ended on October 5.  I eventually decided to go for PE 12, since this is the last program to do FireWire import.  The idea of downloading PE 14 and trying that, then buying it, especially since the price had gone up, wasn't appealing.  I managed to buy a cheap serial no. and am running it successfully.  Thank you very much for you help so far.

• 9. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

declanm

Thanks for the update. Wonderful news that your Premiere Elements projects are moving forward with version 12.0. If you have not already, please consider updating  12.0 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates. One of the major perks of 12.1 is that it fixes a text styles issue which exists only in the Expert workspace of 12.0.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on any of your Premiere Elements workflows. We look forward to the opportunity to be of assistance and share what has worked for us.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 10. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                            declanm91633287 Level 1

ATR,

I have already upgraded to 12.1.  Is there anywhere I can download the patches for PE so I can write them to DVD with the installer, so I have the software available to re-install again?  I intend to put the emails I received with the software, that contain the activation codes as well.

• 11. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

declanm

Version updates, like 12 to 12.1 or 13 to 13.1, are obtained only using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates after the purchased product is installed. I have found no way around that to obtain a file for future use. I wonder if saving the 12.1's Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe and Adobe Premiere Element.exe files would be a way. Never thought about that until now. Something for me to think about.

The other update that comes using Help Menu/Updates is for Camera Raw. Although Adobe has set that up so that the Camera Raw update is obtained exclusively through Help Menu/Updates, there are devious ways around this. Obvious one is to make a copy of the up to date Camera Raw.8bi file on the hard drive. And, in certain circumstances, follow the following scheme of things.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11 and 12: Camera Raw Plug-In Version

You can also copy the Online Folder of the program so that you do not have to go through all those Content downloads.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Content Downloads From Adobe Considerations

ATR

• 12. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                                declanm91633287 Level 1

Thank you for this info,  I read your page about the DVD menus content downloads, however the locations are for the Windows Version.  In the mac version there is a "DVD Templates" folder inside the package contents of the "Adobe Premier Elements.app" folder.  This only seems to have entries for "Slide Show" and Pan and Zoom.  I can't find any other entries for all the other headings for DVD menus.  There are quite a few files under "Pan and Zoom".  I have downloaded all the content from the internet for all the items required, Menus, Titles, Graphics and Audio etc.  Finding these folders sounds more difficult on the mac than on the PC, and the content is probably in different places?  The Camera Raw advice was also interesting, but again had PC examples.  The only example of "Camera Raw.8bi" on my system was the webpage explaining where it was on the PC and how to get the plugin, i.e.. the page from your link.

Again Thank you very much for your help.

• 13. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

declanm

I tuck away 2nd hand Mac information for if and when. Please let me know if this works for you with regard to the Online Folder Mac

MacHD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0/Content/Online/DVD Templates/All_Lang/

From what you wrote, are you confirming the route to Pan and Zoom posted a while back by Martin P

OK, mac users - this is what you need to do.

Go to Macintosh HD --> Applications --> Adobe Premiere Elements 13 --> Support Files

RIGHT CLICK on Adobe Premiere Elements.app (NOT Adobe Premiere Elements 13. app), Select "Show Package Contents". Here you'll find DVD Templates --> Common --> Slideshows

As for Camera Raw....see if the following takes you to it....

Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/File Formats/Camera Raw Plug-In.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                                    declanm91633287 Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for this, I found the Online folder on the first path you mentioned in the Library on the Mac HD disk.  I was also able to find a path to "Adobe Patch Files" which produced a zip file with a very long number as a filename.  The path is:-

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe/AdobePatchFiles/{49237F33-8A40-4B96-915D-BA418B100886}.zip

This file has the correct date and time I was downloading the 12.1 and Camera Raw patch for PE 12.  The Camera Raw plugin location you mentioned also exists, the file is 'Camera Raw.plugin'.  I have also found another path for the Camera Raw ZIP patch files:-

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Adobe/AdobePatchFiles/{36BF72E8-4EE9-4868-AB3F-1ABF6FABDE7E}.zip

I can confirm the route to Pan and Zoom Slideshow Menu content reported by Martin P, although mine is 12.0 not 13.0.

Thank you for this, quite how you would re-apply the patches form these zip files I don't know.  At least I can backup the Camera Raw Plugin and all the Online content in the Online Folder.

• 15. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

declanm

Thanks for the Mac information. Great information for the troubleshooting toolbox.

I would need to look into the that AdobePathFiles Folder and the zip file in it to determine what that is all about. I have the AdobePathFiles Folder also in my Premiere Elements Windows setup.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 16. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                                        declanm91633287 Level 1

I copied the zip file from the AdobePatchFiles directory and unzipped it on the desktop.  The resulting folder produced files with no extensions on them, with filenames that had long numbers like the meaningless filename of the zip file itself.  These files showed up as UNIX executables, which I am sure they weren't.  There seems nothing that can be done with the contents of this zip file, it is purely for use by installers.

• 17. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

declanm

Thanks for the updated information on Mac files possibly related to Camera Raw.

I will keep watch for any information on the whys for that particular zip to which we have been referring. I have one of them in Windows also.

ATR

• 18. Re: Quick Edit crashes in PE 13.
                                            declanm91633287 Level 1

ATR,

I unzipped the Patch Files for, I presume, was the main 12.1 patch.  I have now unzipped the patch files for the CameraRaw patch, these were in the CameraRaw directory that I gave you.  This produced the same result, UNIX executable like files with long filenames consisting of numbers.  The Camera Raw Plugin is far more amenable.