2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2006 9:06 PM by Walter Elias RSS

    CONTEXT MENU with chinese characters?

    atlacatl Community Member
      Here is the synopsis of the problem: I built this tool that makes use of global variables from an external .AS file for localization purposes. I have the require //!-- UTF-8 setting atop. So far all the text imported from the.as file works fine, I do see chinese characters, but when I try updating the custom context menues........all I see are "??????". What am I doing wrong? is there a way to solve this puzzle?

      gaugeMenu = new ContextMenu(gaugeMenuHandler);
      gaugeMenu.customItems.push(new ContextMenuItem(_global.context_viewdetails, viewDetails));
      gaugeMenu.customItems.push(new ContextMenuItem(_global.context_viewrankings, fetchGaugeRanking));
      gaugeMenu.customItems.push(new ContextMenuItem(_global.context_hidegauge, hideGauge));
      gaugeMenu.customItems.push(new ContextMenuItem(_global.context_editgaugegroup, editGauge));
      gaugeMenu.customItems.push(new ContextMenuItem(_global.context_deletegaugegroup, deleteGauge));
        • 1. Re: CONTEXT MENU with chinese characters?
          atlacatl Community Member
          Hello? no one here deals w/localization at all? I can't be the only one running into this problem. someone...........Please HELP!
          • 2. Re: CONTEXT MENU with chinese characters?
            Walter Elias Community Member
            I don't have an answer, except to say that I gave up long ago trying to deal with Chinese fonts in Flash. Flash's handling of unicode fonts is very buggy to me. I was creating banners for a Chinese client. Looked fine on my system, but the fonts were weird sizes, and some Cantonese-only characters not appearing on their system. I have had similar problems even in my FLA files. I'll have a Chinese font show up properly. Then close and re-open the FLA file and the Chinese has disappeared.

            The only solution I've ever found is to break apart Chinese fonts into shapes.

            There may be a better solution than that, and if you find it I hope you'll post it here.