8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 6:15 PM by dm 55

shooting tethered in lightroom 5.7 with 1ds mark ii

brandonl17841371

So I am trying to shoot tethered with my 1ds mark ii, I have tried on both my desktop and laptop and gotten the same result. The tether window pops up but then it flickers back and forth between "no camera detected" and "1DS Mark II", and by flicker I mean just that. When I plug in my EOS 60D I have no issue, it works just fine. I have gone through the trouble shooting checklist and updated to Lr 5.7.1 and my firmware on my camera is current. I got nada.

• 1. Re: shooting tethered in lightroom 5.7 with 1ds mark ii
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Brandonl,

Please follow the steps provided in the below link.

Troubleshoot tethered capture in Lightroom

Hope this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: shooting tethered in lightroom 5.7 with 1ds mark ii
            brandonl17841371 Level 1

No, I had already go to that troubleshooting article and it was no help. I also went to the article suggested on that page, the frequently loss f connection when tethered, but that provided no results either.

Again my 60D works fine, but its my 1DS mark II that is having the issue.

• 3. Re: shooting tethered in lightroom 5.7 with 1ds mark ii

Hi Brandonl,

Its seems to be the issue with USB cable or the USB port of your computer.

Please use a different USB cable in a different USB port of your computer and try to use tethered shooting.

Hope this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 4. Re: shooting tethered in lightroom 5.7 with 1ds mark ii
                brandonl17841371 Level 1

I have used other ports, the cable is specific for photographers to tether and I have used my Canon 60D without issue.I have even used my camera, cable and computer to transfer files from my 1DS Mark II, its just the tethered shooting in lightroom

• 5. Re: shooting tethered in lightroom 5.7 with 1ds mark ii

Could you please create a new catalog and try to tethered shooting?

~Mrinmay

• 7. Re: shooting tethered in lightroom 5.7 with 1ds mark ii
                    DK_ Level 1

Adobe has taken out a list of older Canon cameras from their SDK package that delivers with Lightroom.  I have tried my Canon 1D Mark II N with Windows LR 5.3 and Mac LR 5.6 both flicker from seeing the camera to not seeing the camera.  This is with the USB supplied cable (Canon IFC-400PCU USB Interface Cable).  Both versions (MAC and Windows) flicker from seeing the camera to not seeing the camera.  This was tried on two different machines (not mine but people I know). 

CameraOperating Systems
                    Canon 1D Mark II NMac OS X Lion (10.7.x)
                    Windows 7

Both Operating systems show the camera's CF or SD card

EOS 1D Mark II N.jpg

After more investigation it seems that since LR4.1 they removed the older Canon cameras, planned obsolesce make me want to find an Adobe alternative especially with a camera or cameras that cost the consumer about 5,000.00 USD.

Side Note: Talk to someone with LR4.3 (Windows 7) they can see the Mark II (without flicker) but there is no way to control the settings.  The camera will take photos while tethered but nothing shows up on screen.

LR_tether.jpg

============================================================

Lightroom and its supported cameras for tethering (what I found) seems like everything in bolder text has been removed in the later versions of LR?

Canon cameras supported with tethered shooting

• *EOS 1D Mark II
                    • EOS 1D Mark III
                    • EOS 1D Mark IV
                    • *EOS 1Ds Mark II
                    • EOS 1Ds Mark III
                    • EOS 5D Mark II
                    • EOS 5D Mark III
                    • EOS 100D (Rebel XT/EOS Kiss Digital X)
                    • *EOS 350D (Rebel XTi/EOS Kiss Digital X)
                    • *EOS 400D (Rebel XSi/EOS Kiss X2)
                    • EOS 450D (Rebel XSI/EOS Kiss X2)
                    • EOS 500D (Rebel T1I(EOS /Kiss X3 Digital)
                    • EOS 550D (Digital RebelT2i/EOS Kiss X4 Digital)
                    • EOS 600D (Rebel T3I/EOS Kiss X5)
                    • EOS 650D (Rebel T4i/EOS Kiss X6i)
                    • EOS 700D (Rebel TSi/EOS Kiss X7i)
                    • EOS 1000D (Rebel XS/EOS Kiss F)
                    • EOS 1100D (Rebel T3/EOS Kiss X50)
                    • EOS Rebel T5i / EOS 700D / EOS Kiss X7i
                    • EOS Rebel SL1 / EOS 100D / EOS Kiss X7
                    • EOS 1D X
                    • *EOS 5D
                    • EOS 6D
                    • EOS 7D
                    • *EOS 20D
                    • *EOS 30D
                    • EOS 40D
                    • EOS 50D
                    • EOS 60D

*Supported only through Lightroom 4.1

Tethered camera support in Lightroom

Seems like after 4.1, the above cameras in bold text aren't supported any longer.  They may work but . . . as we are finding out not effectively.

I think Adobe has gotten so big they have lost touch with their user base.  The only suggestion I can offer is find an alternative software or some place selling LR4.1 or earlier.  Mac OS X's, Apple Aperture v3.x will tether your camera and my mark II N but finding some retailers still having the software available will be the challenge.  Some people in the forums (here) have seem to still have the ability to use their older cameras with LR5.x, I tried to tether my camera to two version's of LR5 and both showed the flicker you have.

I use the Canon utility program on an older mac for tethering. You can use: Buy Now | Eyefi which is a WiFi card that makes an AdHoc connection between your laptop and camera.  You can use your CF card for RAW and push jpg to the WiFi SD card then have lightroom watch the folder where the JPG is landing.  Lightroom will display the newly incoming shot.  Mind you,  this method requires you to manually touch the camera to change any settings.

• 8. Re: shooting tethered in lightroom 5.7 with 1ds mark ii
                      dm 55

Hi Brandon, I have the Mark ii 1Ds as well and was considering lightroom as a capture program. Thanks for your post it was very informative. Just to be sure can you tell me was your firmware up to date ver 1.1.6? Sorry I know you said that you tried everything but I had to be sure. Thanks