10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 11:45 PM by estherh1213412

How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?

estherh1213412

Hi

I processed my photos from an external drive by importing them into the LR catalogue. Since then I have made a carbon copy of the external drive's photos using Carbon copy cloner software. How do I ask LR to look for these original files on the backup external drive? I don't necessarily need to access that backup drive all the time, but my concern is that if something happened to the initial external drive which LR uses then how does LR find the backups? I just want to make sure I have a working and effective backup routine.

Thanks so much,

Esther

• 1. Re: How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi estherh,

We need to update the folder location by going into the Library Module in Lightroom.

Once we update the folder location and browser to the external backup drive, then Lightroom will start looking the Images from that drive.

Folder Location Lr.png

Refer Link: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Create and manage folders

Hope it helps.

~Mohit

• 2. Re: How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?
            estherh1213412 Level 1

Thank you for your speedy reply. How do I display that pop up box? I get a different set of options when I right click on a subfolder? The link you posted did not mention how to access external drives?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help.

Esther

• 3. Re: How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?
              Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

When you look under Folders in Library.

You will see the folders which contains the previews for the Images

Right Click on the folder (Cmd+Click in Mac) , then you will see that popup menu which shows in above Screenshot.

Once you Click on the Update folder location, then it will open the browse window.

So that you can browse that folder from the external backup drive.

Once you browse that folder from the external drive, then you can click on Select folder.

Browse Windows Lr.PNG

Once its done, you will see the Location for that folder is updated in Lightroom and that specific folder will be showing under that drive.

~Mohit

• 4. Re: How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?
                estherh1213412 Level 1

Thank you so much. That worked beautifully!!! :-) A huge relief that I will have an effective backup plan now. Thanks!

Esther

• 5. Re: How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR does not fine the backups unless you specifically tell it to and the only time you would do that is if the original files went missing or got damaged in some way. CCC is making a CLONE of the files. It is not compressing them or changing them in any way. They are a Back Up. If for some reason the external drive your original images are on failed then you would get a New external drive to replace the failed one, Name it the same as the original failed drive, Use CCC to Clone your images back to the New external and LR would then see them as they were before.

Lightroom is NOT a File Manager like Finder or Windows File Explorer. It only sees image files that you have imported, Nothing else. Since your original image files on your Main external drive are still OK you can't, and shouldn't, try to import them so LR knows where they are.

THEY ARE BACKUPS OF YOUR IMAGE FILES. Nothing more and nothing less.

Also there is no reason to use CCC for this backup task unless you use it continuously to do backups on a schedule.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?
                    estherh1213412 Level 1

Thanks, it is good to know that I will be able to find them if the external drive ever fails.

Like I said in the initial posting I am not planning on using them day to day that way but I need to have an effective backup plan now that I am using LR.

Thanks for your time to reply.

Esther

• 7. Re: How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?

If you use the instructions given in the other replies to Point LR at the Back Up Copy of your images LR will always use that Back Up Copy as it main image storage spot. This is something you should not do. They are Backups of your images and should only be accessed when and if the real originals get damaged in some way. And even then LR should not access them directly. They should be Copied back, and or Cloned back, to the original location.

If your originals or the drive they are on get corrupted or the drive fails you should replace the drive and Copy/Clone your images back to the replaced drive. That way you always have a backup of your images.

• 8. Re: How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?
                        estherh1213412 Level 1

Thank you. I am a bit confused though that Staff (I presume Adobe Staff?) would suggest to do it the other way?? Makes sense to replace as you said. Thanks hopefully it will never get to that, just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing for many many 1000's of photos!

E

• 9. Re: How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?

Well you did say you wanted to Access those files through/with LR in your original post. The Staff member isn't reading between the lines. Lightroom is not a File manager program. The only files, folders and drives it knows about are ones you have imported images from. I have 8 hard drives connected to my Windows 7 desktop system. 6 of them are internal drives, C, D, E, F, G and J, and 2 are external USB 3 drives T and U. The E drive is the drive I keep 99% of my images and some, very few, are on my D drive. I have backups of all my images on both the T and U externally connected drives.

In Lightroom the only drives that show up are the D and E drives. Lightroom doesn't know anything about any other drive connected to my system because I haven't imported any images from the other drives. LR doesn't see them or care about them even though both the T and U drives have copies of every image on those drives LR does see.

If you want to View those backed up files on your Back Up drive use Finder to browse through them. Leave LR for managing and editing your Main image storage location.

• 10. Re: How do I find photos processed through LR on a backup disc?
                            estherh1213412 Level 1

Thank you for your help. I have a better understanding of LR now and how to access any files. Good to know that I have an effective backup strategy for LR.

E