11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 10:42 AM by 9pines

Black Bars in Lightroom during import

JJCAS10538

For a couple of weeks I have been  getting black bars on the top and bottom of  image previews during Import.  If the image is portrait the black bars are on the side, if landscape on the top and bottom. I have attached a screen print showing the problem. Please don't judge it's artistic merit as it is only for illustrative purposes. This only happens during Import, and I have tried 2 different cameras and 2 different readers. And the black bars do not carry over into the library. I'm using a Mac pro with OSX 10.10.5 I would really appreciate any insights. I'm desperate.blackbars_lightroom.png Please help if you can. .

Thank you for looking

• 1. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using RAW files? Then this probably is the embedded jpg rendered from the camera that is shown until LR has rendered it's own preview from the RAW data.

• 2. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
            JJCAS10538 Level 1

Yes, I am using RAW files, But this is a recent problem and never happened before.

• 3. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
              F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not remember not seeing this. It never occurred to me to mind though.

It this causing you any issues?

• 4. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
                JJCAS10538 Level 1

No but I can not see the full image during import. And this is a problem because I don't think it should be happening, and it may indicate a problem somewhere else. And, as I said earlier up until a couple of weeks ago the bars did not show. And, I'm sorry but I did not Thank you for responding earlier. Thank you, I appreciate your input.

• 5. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
                  sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi JJCAS10538,

You can change the image view while importing and check whether you have bars there or not.

import.JPG

Regards

Sarika

• 6. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
                    JJCAS10538 Level 1

Hi

Thanks for responding.  I'm sorry but I don't follow what you are suggesting.

• 7. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sarika is suggesting to change from Grid-view to Loupe-view in the Import panel using the blue-outlined buttons at the bottom left.

There are usually several sizes of previews in a raw file that are embedded by the camera and some sizes of previews might not have the black bars.

• 8. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
                        JJCAS10538 Level 1

Hi

Thanks for clarifying, and thanks for responding. I have tried that and the loupe view does not show the black bars, Nonetheless, there is an issue with the grid view that spontaneoulsy started 2 weeks ago. It does this with all my cameras and never did before. A mystery. Perhaps I being picky, but I'm concerned because it's not working as it did and should. I'm just trying to figure out why.  

Thanks

Jim

• 9. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The black bars are letterbox padding for a 3:2 image when it's displayed on a 4:3 camera display and on my camera are only on the very tiny 160x120 camera-thumbnail view that is displayed when I use grid mode on my camera to review images.  There is another full-resolution preview JPG embedded in the raw file as well.

Normally I see this larger one in the LR Import grid.  If LR cannot find the larger preview thumbnail it would probably default to using the smaller one with black bars.  You can investigate what preview images are actually contained in your raw files by uploading one to the following website.  Choose to upload a local file and once you've specified its path, click the View Image From File button to start the upload and wait:

Jeffrey Friedl's Exif (Image Metadata) Viewer

I should say that for my camera, even for the smallest thumbnail size set on the Import grid, I don't see any black bars.

Is it possible that you've changed someone on the camera, recently, regarding the quality of the JPGs?

What version of LR are you using?

Have you low-level formatted the memory cards, in case there is some slight corruption?

I wonder if something is slowing down the transfer of image data from the card to LR (or there are many, many images) and LR's using the tiniest thumbnails to help speed up the process.

For reference, here is what the regex.info site shows for the two thumbnails embedded in each of my Canon DSLR's raw files, and as you can see only the smallest one has black bars and it's blurry because it's so tiny:

• 10. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
                            JJCAS10538 Level 1

Hi

No I haven't changed anything in the quality of the JPEGs. And I get the same behavior from my Nikon D3, Nikon D2x and Fuji X100.  I have the latest version of Lightroom CC 2015. I've used different memory cards and I even bought a brand new DanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro. And a new card reader. The preview size is the same size as they have always been they are sharp as a tack but with the inclusion of the bars. Even when I enlarge the previews they are not blurry. Either is the full loupe view,

Thanks again for taking the time on this. I appreciate it.

Jim

• 11. Re: Black Bars in Lightroom during import
                              9pines

I've had the same problem. This is a Lightroom issue. It started for me 4-6 months ago and I have yet to find a fix anywhere. I use Lightroom 6.5.1.

I shoot RAW only. It occurs with both of my cameras. The thumbnail black bars appear only during the import. Once imported, the thumbnails are fine.

The thumbnail black bars are on the long side and they even appear when I try to import photos taken years ago that at that time did not have black bars using earlier versions of Lightroom.

Photos once imported do not have black bars. When I try to view the pre-import thumbnails at full size, they remain thumbnail sized! If I increase the size of these "full screen" previews, they are very heavily pixelated rendering the ability to cull images pre-import USELESS.

Does anyone at Adobe have a fix for this? It does not happen when I import into CaptureOne Pro 9.

Thanks.