1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 19, 2015 4:35 AM by Rick Gerard

How to create kinetic shapes,

sonjoanne

Hi there! I watched this persons video on youtube and he uses kinetic shapes and in the video there almost looks like a glow from the shapes in the scenery, I really love the style of this video and I was wondering If anyone would know how to re create similar effects ?? Thanks!
      GLADIOLUS - YouTube

• 1. Re: How to create kinetic shapes,
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

there is nothing magic in his video that can be achieved by simply clicking on an effect. Nearly every masking and animation technique is used. It combines the animated graphics with camera tracking in some shots. He is also using lighting and blend modes  to simulate light.

If it were me trying to learn how to do this stuff I would start with a still image and a graphic on two different layers and then figure out what different blend moses look like  and practice animating scale rotation and position to make the graphic appear on the still image. When you get that down learn about camera tracking and 3-D layers.  If you are brand-new then there are lots of good basic training materials available. Typing a question in the search help field at the top right corner of After Effects is a good place to start. Try searching for "animate shape layers." That should get you started.

Here's an example using a frame grab from the video and a rectangle. Just added a couple of blurred copies of the rectangle using the add mode to create the glow effect.

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 4.34.07 AM.png