Skip navigation
    10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2015 6:03 AM by Favour Renate

How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?

Favour Renate Level 1

When I export to a fixed layout  ePub and later want to convert to a Kindle format the encrypted fonts in the /META-INF/encryption.xml file are not retrieved properly. How do I tell InDesign to not encrypt the font files and embed instead?

• 1. Re: How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?
          Favour Renate Level 1

Does it help to define a css file with the respective font family?

e.g.

@font-face {

font-family: dorovar;

font-weight: normal;

font-style: normal;

src: url("/Users/renateschilling/Library/Fonts/DorovarFLF-Carolus.ttf");

}

• 2. Re: How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?
            Yves Apel Level 2

You can't. InDesign always obfuscates fonts. You need to change them manually.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?
              Favour Renate Level 1

Okay, is it enough to add a css file when exporting the ePub with the @font-face definition?

I also tried to save with Sigil, where I can see the font files, but still Kindle does not show the fonts.

Do you have a solution for this issue? Thank you so much.

• 4. Re: How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?
                Yves Apel Level 2

The CSS has nothing to do with the encryption. If your (ttf or otf) font is applied in InDesign, the fontface markup will be automatically generated by InDesign and this markup plays no role if the font is encrypted/obfuscated or not.

If you have used fonts licensed under SIL Open Font License (OFL) (Linotype, FontFont, .... aren't lic. under SIL!), you can extract the contents of your ePub, replace the font files included there, with the original font files and remove the encryption.xml file. Then you can convert it to Kindle. This workaround does not work with typekit, skyfonts or similar services since you don't have access to the original font files. In addition 99% of the commercial fonts do not allow you to replace the epub fonts with unencrypted versions, so pay attention here. Please take a look first on the following discussion to see what might be allowed to do or not since you often have licensing restrictions on moving or embedding commercial fonts: A Serious Solution for Fonts...

• 5. Re: How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?
                  marieb4259177 Level 1

Hi Yves,

How can I find out what license are the fonts I am using, especially that those fonts are provided by my clients with their InDesign documents to be turned out as ePub (reflowable or fixed)?

I got a message from Kobo that it cant read obfuscated fonts and replaces them with system fonts, which is catastrophic in FXL!

Can I crack the epub open, remove the encryption file, replace the fonts in the font folder and it would work? It uses DIN Next Light, Light-italic and Regular. How do I know if they paid for embedding in ePub license?

• 6. Re: How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?
                    Yves Apel Level 2

How can I find out what license are the fonts I am using, especially that those fonts are provided by my clients with their InDesign documents to be turned out as ePub (reflowable or fixed)?

You can first check if the font is a free one (under SIL lic.) or commercial/donation ware/restricted freeware/etc. My best practice is using the information window in fontexplorer to see who's the copyright holder and then check this on the homepage of this person. Google is your best friend. Unfortunately, this is also time consuming.

I got a message from Kobo that it cant read obfuscated fonts and replaces them with system fonts, which is catastrophic in FXL!

Yes and no. FXL was not meant to display your print layout 1/1 neither was it meant to not do so. Thats the confusing thing behind FXL. The fixed layout ePub from InDesign tries to reproduce your print/displayed results 1/1. To achieve this, it uses tricks and techniques which forces the end result, and its valid. But doing this, it also completely removes fail safe and backwards compatibility so the ePub breaks even if the reader has small problems with displaying something in the ePub. Doing an ePub fxl manually, you can achieve a result either seen as "close by the original layout" which can have kind a fail safe zone when as example the font can't be displayed, the ePub does not break completely. There are other softwares using a third possible technique of hidden content where as the displayed result is an image and the text underlies this image so it can be found by search mechanisms. This avoids trouble with font vendors and reader display problems. But the user experience of such ePubs is bad.

Can I crack the epub open, remove the encryption file, replace the fonts in the font folder and it would work?

Theoretically yes. But once again. Check the license to see if you are allowed to embed non-obfuscated or non-encrypted fonts before doing so.

It uses DIN Next Light, Light-italic and Regular. How do I know if they paid for embedding in ePub license?

Check the copyright holder to see if it has restrictions. The great font vendors have in between published policies on using the fonts in ePub. You need to talk directly to them or your customer. There can be so many different cases, which I can't answer for you.

• 7. Re: How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?
                      marieb4259177 Level 1

Hi Yves, thank you for your answers.

Dealing with fonts is quite complex, as I can see.

I checked in FontExplorer and I found this:

All rights reserved: Copyright © 2008 - 2009 Linotype GmbH, www.linotype.com. All rights reserved. This font software may not be reproduced, modified, disclosed or transferred without the express written approval of Linotype GmbH... This font software is a valuable asset of Linotype GmbH. Unless you have entered into a specific license agreement granting you additional rights, your use of this font software is limited to your workstation for your own use. You may not copy or distribute this font software.

Rights: Aperçu et Impression de l'Incorporation Autorisé (in French, and I am not sure what they mean by that) Does "Incorporation" means "embedding"? Not sure...

I went on the site to read the license section, and I understand that to be used in ePubs, one need to by the specific license (additional rights) , which cost a lot more than the basic one! And only for one face of the set! The whole family goes for over 2000$!!! Who can afford that!

I dont think that the license of the font I have extend to incorporation in ePub. I don't think that any of my clients have bought those rights!

• 8. Re: How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?
                        Favour Renate Level 1

a/ I created a Fixed Layout ePub with InDesign CC.
                        b/ I deleted the encryption.xml file.
                        c/ Then I added the font to the content.opf:
                        <manifest><!--fonts--><item id="DorovarFLF-Carolus" href="font/DorovarFLF-Carolus.ttf"; media-type="application/x-font-ttf";>
                        d/ Then I made sure the font was in a .css file with @font-face
                        e/ I ran the latest version of Kindlegen and disabled the font in my system.
                        RESULT: The font was not displayed in my fixed layouted ePub in Kindle.

What else can I do?

Thanks for any help!!!!

• 9. Re: How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?
                          Yves Apel Level 2

Hi,

you do not need to modify the opf or css file.

A) Create your ePub with the desired font in InDesign.

B) Extract/Unpack the ePub.

C) Remove the encryption.xml file.

D) Replace/Overwrite the font file (DorovarFLF-Carolus.ttf) contained in the font folder of the extracted epub with the original font file. Be sure the original font final has the same name as the one of the ePub (DorovarFLF-Carolus.ttf).

E) Disable the font in your system.

F) Open KP and drag the opf-file in it or alternatively repack the folder to an ePub and then drag it into KP (is one step more to do) or convert with Kindlegen.

G) Check your file in the Fire/iOS Simulation in KP. eInk will not work.

Unofficial H) Pray that your fxl mobi will show as expected. InDesign fxl ePub to fxl mobi conversion is bad, I mean very bad. Just, ugh, yes, really bad.

Sideloading the mobi/azw file to iOS will neither work to display the fonts. Its a perfect amazon ecosystem for testing, or isn't it?

• 10. Re: How to export an Fixed Layout Epub without encrypting the font files?
                            Favour Renate Level 1

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This worked!

More Like This

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points