12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2015 11:10 AM by VaughnByrd21

How to undo reset of all folders

VaughnByrd21 Level 1

I just realized that ALL of the edits to photos in my every one of my folders in my primary catalogue have been reset, with the exception of the new files that I have been working on for the last three days. I have no idea when this happened...somewhere between my last shoot and now, about 2 weeks ago.

This is a LOT of photos to restore one at a time.

I also have no idea HOW this happened, to all folders at the same time.

Please, please, please...is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance.

[LightRoom CC]

• 1. Re: How to undo reset of all folders
          dj_paige Level 9

You need to find a backup of your catalog file before this problem happened, and then restore a this backup.

• 2. Re: How to undo reset of all folders
            Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi VaughnByrd,

Have you taken any backup for your Lightroom catalog?

~Mrinmay

• 3. Re: How to undo reset of all folders
              VaughnByrd21 Level 1

Yes, thanks to you both. I have regular backups. I had a couple of big shoots 2-3 weeks ago, edited in LR and PSD, and exported them in color and B&W for my clients. I went back to the backup right after that and everything was already reset. I guess I'll have to go back a little farther—my clients always need something I shot 4 years ago, and while I do have everything backed up on hard drives [and in the cloud] I usually just go to LR and re-export.

I just finished 3 days of post and compositing on another mammoth project—I'm exporting that as it's own catalogue just in case there's some kind of glitch.

I'll check older backups, and thanks. Any idea how this could've happened? I avoid the letter 'R' like the plague...

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: How to undo reset of all folders
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check the Develop module History of the images in question and see if it shows a 'Reset Settings' state with all previous edits below it. If it only shows an 'Import' state then you may have inadvertently imported the images into a new catalog. If so you need to locate the original catalog file on your hard drive. Do you use multiple catalogs?

• 5. Re: How to undo reset of all folders
                  VaughnByrd21 Level 1

Yes I do, but my main client's catalog spans several years and it is big, with linked archived folders and many collections. This allows me to easily search when they need a photo from 3 years ago, which they normally do, usually in an I-need-it-yesterday kind of panic.

I checked the history of photos in Develop in several collections and to my increasing horror, Reset was the last action in every edited photo. This was some kind of global incident. It appears that only my current project was reset, so it had to happen more than 4 days ago.

As suggested, I will check my backups and hopefully will only have to manually restore a few collections. But I am curios to know how it happened.

• 6. Re: How to undo reset of all folders
                    VaughnByrd21 Level 1

OMG it's happened again! I opened LR and the last 4 projects I worked on are ALL reset! This is many, many photos—not only is each and every photo reset but the edited photos themselves are no longer in the collections I created for them. What is going on here? And there doesn't seem to be any kind of global fix! I KNOW for sure I did NOT reset every photo in each folder—when I import photos from the card, I apply a user--defined preset for lens correction to all photos...then, of course, I select specific photos, edit them, then add the edited photos to a collection. The only photos left in the collections are the TIFFs I sent out for editing in PSD...none of the CR2s I edited in LR are there.

Can anyone help me?

• 7. Re: How to undo reset of all folders

VaughnByrd21 wrote:

I select specific photos, edit them, then add the edited photos to a collection. The only photos left in the collections are the TIFFs I sent out for editing in PSD...none of the CR2s I edited in LR are there.

DO you mean the CR2s are no longer in the collections or are they completely missing in the LR Library viee . Do the '!' missing image icons on them. More info is needed to determine what happened. We need of the details on what you did to restore everything after the 1st Reset and what you did up until they 'Reset' yet a 2nd time. Think about anything out of the normal such as a LR update, OS update, moved folders, etc.

• 8. Re: How to undo reset of all folders
                        VaughnByrd21 Level 1

My workflow is to 1) import all photos into a new folder, 2) select specific photos and edit them, 3) add edited folders to a collection,

4) export for use.

When I open Lightroom later, all of the CR2 files in the original folder are RESET—they are not missing and are still linked to the original files. But all editing is gone, and if you look in the History panel, the last command is RES

When you browse to the collection folder they are supposed to be in, the edited CR2s are missing as well. Only those files edited in PSD [TIFF] are there.

This has undone weeks, maybe months, of work and I am truly beside myself. I am slowly reconstituting the catalog, by rolling back the RESET command in each file in each collection, then exporting as a catalog and importing into a new, master catalog. But it is extremely time consuming. I have no idea how to stop this from happening again, or how to undo it in a more timely manner.

• 9. Re: How to undo reset of all folders

You have two issues: 1) The original raw files are being reset and 2) the raw files are being removed from the collection.

Please check to see if you are creating Smart Collections with something like the Rating, Flag, Label Color. Smart Collections have a small icon on the lower right corner of the folder image.

• 10. Re: How to undo reset of all folders
                            VaughnByrd21 Level 1

No, I'm not creating Smart Collections—I create a collection to contain the edited photos from a shoot that I will export for the client.

I think the global RESET that is somehow happening to all my folders is resetting all of the actions in the History panel, one of which is adding to the specific collection. That action, as well as all others, is being reversed. I just need to know 1) if there's any way to roll back the RESET step for all photos in a folder, and 2) what is causing this to happen again and again to all photos in a folder.

• 11. Re: How to undo reset of all folders

VaughnByrd21 wrote:

I think the global RESET that is somehow happening to all my folders is resetting all of the actions in the History panel, one of which is adding to the specific collection. That action, as well as all others, is being reversed.

I'm not aware of a way to invoke this as a batch operation, only one image file at-a-time. In addition when you move an image to a collection that action does not show in the History panel. As far as I can tell only the Import, Export, and Develop panel edits are recorded.

VaughnByrd21 wrote:

I just need to know 1) if there's any way to roll back the RESET step for all photos in a folder, and 2) what is causing this to happen again and again to all photos in a folder.

Again, not that I am aware of. If you catch it when it first happens using CTRL + Z keys can undo a number of states. You're also undoing any work you did since the reset action occurred and I'm not sure how many undos LR allows. You can set that number in PS, but it's a fixed value in LR.

The most likely cause is some kind of corruption with your preferences file or catalog file.

Try this first:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?25197-Resetting-the-lightroom-preferences-fi le-updated

If resetting the Preferences file does not resolve the issue do a catalog backup and check both options as shown below.

Next create a new catalog and import your original catalog into the new catalog.

1) Go to menu File> 'New Catalog' and give it a recognizable name such as Lightroom CC 2015 New Catalog.

2) Once the new catalog has been opened go to File> 'Import from Another Catalog' and select your original catalog file.

3) After the catalog import has completed backup the new catalog using the same settings as above. Make sure to backup your catalog file after every major editing session.

If this resolves your issue I suggest not using your previous catalog backup files since they have data corruption that's causing the reset. You'll still need to undo the reset state manually for each individual image file, but hopefully this will correct the problem going forward.

• 12. Re: How to undo reset of all folders
                                VaughnByrd21 Level 1

Thanks!

Margot Phillips

Vaughn Byrd, Inc.