2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2015 2:28 AM by Todd_Kopriva

ZMBV Codec and/or Pixel-perfect re-encoding

felipepepe

Hi, I'm working on a project that uses footage recorded in a MS-DOS emulator (DOSBox), encoded with the ZMBV (Zip Motion Block Video) codec. The videos come out great, with sharp pixels and a small file size.

However, apparently After Effects doesn't support this codec. It's installed in my system, even Windows Media Players runs it smoothly, but After Effects refuses to open it.

Is there a way to solve this, maybe force AE to use a certain codec?

Failing that, to what format/codec can I convert this that will keep stay pixel-perfect sharp? It seems like every format I try always end with some artifacts, with loss of contrast and the red bleeding out:

avi.png

So, any other alternatives that can keep it razor sharp as the first image? I considered turning it into a .png sequence however not only it would be huge volume of data, but I'm having a hard time finding any converter that can handle this codec...

• 1. Re: ZMBV Codec and/or Pixel-perfect re-encoding
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You cannot enforce anything in AE. Traditionally it has never worked well with DirectDraw accelerated CoDecs and that is just that. The rest shouldn't really be that much of an issue. of course there is little sense in trying out compressed CoDecs like H.264. Color shifts and softened output are inherent in their algoriths,. The other two experiments simply seem like sub-pixel filtering. This can happen if your file dimensions are not multiples of 2, 4, 8 and so on and the output gets ever so slightly rescaled or repositioned or you accidentally used some weird deinterlacing option. Otherwise it should be perfectly doable.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: ZMBV Codec and/or Pixel-perfect re-encoding
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

PNG codec in a QuickTime .mov container is a good lossless choice.