9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2015 5:20 AM by dj_paige

External HDDx2  & Lightroom

limeblu

I am currently running Lightroom 5.7 64-bit,. Lightroom is installed on my pc Laptop and my catalogue and images are on a single external HDD.  I have filled the external drive and bought another, I am wondering do I need to retire the old drive or is there a way to connect the new drive along with the old one and access images from both of them?  They are both 3TB WD mybook..  If I can run both what is the best way to set them up?  New drive, new catalogue?  I currently have all images as a single catalogue.  TY everyone, Take care.

• 1. Re: External HDDx2  & Lightroom
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi limeblu,

Greetings.

Yes there is a way where you can use the new drive as well as the old one.

• As you have said they are both 3 TB, so you can now you can keep the new images in the new drive that you have purchased and then import those images from that new external drive into your LR, That way you will have access to both the drives in your LR.

Or

• You can create a new catalog in that new drive and use that catalog to import new images from your new external drive, but in that case you will have access to two different catalogs and you will have to switch between the catalogs in order to have access to images on Old drive and New drive.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: External HDDx2  & Lightroom
            dj_paige Level 9

The easiest thing to do is leave the existing photos on the first external drive, and put the new photos on the new external drive. This requires very little effort, all you really have to do is change the Destination directory when you import — you do this one time, and Lightroom remembers this destination from then on.

I think the suggestion to create a new catalog is a very poor idea, one catalog works best, there is no benefit and significant disadvantages to having two catalogs in this situation.

• 3. Re: External HDDx2  & Lightroom
              limeblu Level 1

Ty for the replies.  So I would simply connect the new external HDD to my laptop vie usb, change the location that new imported images from my camera go to (new drive) and then lightroom will use both drive as a single drive with access to all images? I am sorry if I have this wrong, just want to be very clear.  I want to eventually switch to a raid system with 24gb all in one unit but I guess it all takes times.

• 4. Re: External HDDx2  & Lightroom
                dj_paige Level 9

So I would simply connect the new external HDD to my laptop vie usb, change the location that new imported images from my camera go to (new drive) and then lightroom will use both drive as a single drive with access to all images?

I don't think it's fair to say "Lightroom will use both drives as a single drive with access to all images".

It is correct to say "Lightroom will use both drives as a single drive with access to all images".

• 5. Re: External HDDx2  & Lightroom
                  limeblu Level 1

sounds good. So since my catalogue is stored on original external HDD it will still work fine dealing with images that are being uploaded to the new hard drive?  I know this sounds stupid, just trying to grasp the concept.  thanks for your patience and advice.

• 6. Re: External HDDx2  & Lightroom
                    dj_paige Level 9

Your catalog file and previews can be on any drive you want. Ideally, they should go on your fastest drive, which is your internal drive, if you have enough space and if you don't need the catalog file itself to be portable.

So to answer your exact question

So since my catalogue is stored on original external HDD it will still work fine dealing with images that are being uploaded to the new hard drive?

Yes

• 7. Re: External HDDx2  & Lightroom
                      limeblu Level 1

so if I move it to my internal drive, where would I locate it? I have a data D drive that is empty and has 400gb free? so that would just leave my image folder on my original external HDD, is there anything I need to do to have lightroom recognize where the catalogue moves to?  WOW, brain fart, I really cant extend enough thanks. I just need to check catalogue size

• 8. Re: External HDDx2  & Lightroom
                        ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

You can put the catalog and the previews folder anywhere you want (non-system folders) as long as you have READ and WRITE access to that location.

Personally, my LR catalogs are in a folder called "d:\lr6_catalogs".

• 9. Re: External HDDx2  & Lightroom
                          dj_paige Level 9

My catalogs are in the default location (windows 7) of C:\users\<my name>\My Pictures\Lightroom.

You can put it there or anywhere else on the C:\ drive (but not a system folder) as long as you have enough space for catalog and previews and future previews.

Use your operating system to copy the catalog file to wherever you want. Double-click on the catalog file to open it.