19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 5:07 AM by StreetSongs

Wavy fade-in

StreetSongs Level 1

Hi all,

I am having trouble with a video I created in Adobe Premiere Elements 11.0 using still photos and pan and zoom effects to accompany some original music. I'm working on a PC with Windows 8.1. Most of the video looks the way I want it to, but there are "waves" in the first frame as it fades in that are unattractive. They are not visible in the Adobe workspace -- they only appear after export. I have tried many different export settings and ALL show the same waviness. It appears in a few other frames of the video as well, but to demonstrate it on the forum I made a very short test video, showing the first instance of the problem when the video fades in. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion to get a better quality output. I want it to look the way it does in the workspace, with smooth transitions and solid, non-wavy images. The finished video will be posted on my website and on Facebook and other social media and is meant to be viewed online.

The short test video was exported using settings from the Adobe Premiere Elements 11.0 Classroom in a Book, and they are noted beneath the video, but as I mentioned, I've tried many other export settings and all have had the same problem. Here is a link to the short test video demonstrating the wavy lines: NYSI TEST1 w-CIB preset - YouTube

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide!

• 1. Re: Wavy fade-in
          A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

Could you clarify and point to the issue in the demo?

When I view your demo video on YouTube, I am not see wavy lines, even full screen. I first see an image which is being zoomed out followed a next image. In the transition between the zoomed out and the next there is an area to the right and left which points to a difference in image size being viewed. The is gone once that next image is the only one being viewed.

What are you using to apply the pan and zoom effect (zoom out) to this photo?

What are the pixel dimensions of the Timeline photos?

What is your project preset?

Please give me an example of the export settings for one of these exports where you are seeing the problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Wavy fade-in
            StreetSongs Level 1

Hello. A.T.,

Thank you for your quick response. The effect that is apparent after export but not on the workspace is a wavy emanation. It's visible as the first image of the hand and the candle come into view. It looks great when I'm working on it, but after export there are waves emanating from the candle outward. That is not desirable. In my worspace the fade-in is a slow, gentle fade-in of the image without any waviness in the image at all -- exaclty the way I want it. After export it all goes to pieces.

To answer your questions:

1.For pan and zoom, I'm using the Pan and Zoom tool in the Expert workspace to set the general movement, and then am refining the keyframes in Applied Effects.

2. First photo is 2000Wx1313H; second photo is 2000Wx1334H.

3. Project preset, which was chosen by the program when I dropped in my first still image:
                HD 1080i; 29.97 fps; 1920W x 1080H; Display format 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode; Title safe 20%x20%; Action safe 10%x10%

4. The export setting for the test video is listed underneath the video; just click "see more."

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Wavy fade-in
              StreetSongs Level 1

In case this is helpful, here is a link to the still photo: http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u348/jcf1415/RSZ-NYSI-candle-335965.jpg. When this photo fades in at the beginning of the video in my workspace, it looks exactly as it does as a still photo. There are no gradations or waves around the candle; there's a smooth background. After export, the area around the candle has unattractive waves. That's what I'm trying to eliminate in my finished product.

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Wavy fade-in
                A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

Thanks for the follow up.

Just starting my day and will look at your latest information in context with your waves around the candle.

So far I have not been able to zero in on these waves around the candle that you report.

I will get back to you in a few hours or sooner.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Wavy fade-in
                  StreetSongs Level 1

Thank you, A.T. -- I appreciate it!

• 6. Re: Wavy fade-in
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

Could you post an image of the scene after the candle fades out completely?

ATR

• 7. Re: Wavy fade-in
                      StreetSongs Level 1

Hi ATR,

Here is a link to a freezeframe of the transition between the two frames, captured at the point where you can still see the faint silhouette of the candle and the hand. I don't know if this is what you meant. The first shot doesn't fade to black -- it's set up as a cross-dissolve, so it fades away as the next frame (the one with the birds) is slowly coming into view.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u348/jcf1415/NYSI%20TEST1%20freezeframe.jpg

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Wavy fade-in
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

Just to let you know I am still working on your candle flame wave.

I am still trying to focus in on what you are seeing.

I am hoping that this note will move your thread upward in those showing so that I do not lose sight of it within the next 24 hours or less.

To be continued....

ATR

• 9. Re: Wavy fade-in
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

I decided to try to fashion a Premiere Elements 11 Windows video using

A copy of your hand candle image which I zoomed out with the Pan and Zoom Tool, and then I keyframed out the Opacity via the Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Opacity panel expanded.

and

And my own background image which is left after the fade out of the zoomed out hand candle image.

I have posted the result to YouTube. Do see any waves in my YouTube video?

YouTube

ATR

• 10. Re: Wavy fade-in
                            StreetSongs Level 1

Hi ATR,

I'm very grateful for your work on this. Unfortunately, I'm blocked from seeing the YouTube video -- I get a "This video is private" message. I'm very curious to see it. Did you fade in the candle image? The problem arises in the fade-in. If you mark your video as "unlisted," only people with the link will see it.

Thank you!

• 11. Re: Wavy fade-in
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

Thanks for the follow up.

Typically I leave the YouTube uploads as Unlisted which means that anyone with the link to the video can view it. The link that I posted last night was marked as Public when I just checked at YouTube. I have changed it to Unlisted. Please try this link

wavy - YouTube

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Wavy fade-in
                                StreetSongs Level 1

Thank you, ATR! I was able to view that one, and the cross-fade into the second slide is very smooth, but as I mentioned, my issue is the fade in from black, not the cross-fade into the second slide. It would have been better to leave the second slide out of my test video to avoid confusion. Your test video doesn't fade in from black.

Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough (it's so much easier when both people are looking at the same thing at the same time in the same space!). My issue is at the very beginning of the video. It starts with a black screen, and then the candle image fades in (emerges) gradually. During the fade-in is where the wavy lines are appearing. It's subtle, but it's there on the exported video and not there on the video in the workspace. All I want is to see on the export what I see in the workspace.

• 13. Re: Wavy fade-in
                                  StreetSongs Level 1

Hello ATR,

I have tried quite a few other export settings in an effort to resolve this issue and none have been successful. This is what I've tried:

AVCHD M2T H264 1920x1080i 30

MPEG2 1920x1080i 30

MPEG HDTV 1080p 29.97 high quality

MPEG HD 720p 30

Have you had any further chance to look into this?

I'm considering an upgrade to PrE 14 (currently I'm using PrE11) and am looking over your recent "First look details" notes about it. I don't know if it would help with my current issue, but I have one question you might be able to answer: can I open this project in 14 and edit and export from there?

Thank you.

• 14. Re: Wavy fade-in
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

Thanks for the update.

I have not had a chance to explore further the thread issue. When I have looked at specific aspects of the problem with my models, I do not see what you are describing, but I am intending for continue to see if I can recreate what you are seeing and then hope to define it enough to explain how to get rid of what you see.

You should be able to open a Premiere Elements 11 Windows project file in Premiere Elements 14 Windows. I have opened project files (.prel) from 11 and 13/13.1 in 14 so far. But, as in all cases, that is not a guarantee. So, make a copy of the 11 project file and try to open that in 14 rather than use the original 11 project file. Once the 11 project is opened and edited in a later version you cannot go back to open the later version edited project file in the earlier version (with one rare exception that I came across a while back).

I will try to get back to your issue soon. If you decide to explore 14, please give the tryout a good workout before you decide to purchase it.

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR

• 15. Re: Wavy fade-in
                                      StreetSongs Level 1

Thank you for the follow-up, ATR. I have put a shorter clip on YouTube that I hope will illustrate the problem better.

The effect I'm talking about happens only within the first 3 seconds, just as the image is emerging from the black screen. After 3 seconds the image stabilizes and looks the way I want it to look. Specifically, I'm referring to the outward flowing bands in the upper half of the image around the candle flame. You can see (I hope) that the image stabilizes just after 3 seconds and continues to emerge in a nice, smooth way, without any flowing bands or gradations around the candle flame. I do not want flowing bands around the candle flame in the first 3 seconds of my video! As I mentioned previously, they are not present in my PrE11 workspace; they only appear after export. Here is the link: NYSI TEST AVCHD H264 1920x1080i 30 - YouTube

I attempted to get a video screencast of my PrE11 workspace to show you how smoothly the image emerges there, but my video capture software didn't do a good job of it, so I'll just have to reiterate that the image emerges without any annoying flowing lines in my workspace.

I downloaded the free trial of PrE14 this morning and was able to load my PrE11 video into it and then export it. Even though the watermark was on the video, I was able to test it out to see if the resulting video was better. It was not. The two settings I tried from PrE14 were the Quick Export settings (1280x720) assigned automatically by Adobe, and when that came out poorly I tried the Computer>HD1080 (1920x1080)>High quality>MP4-H.264. That looked just as bad.

Could you clarify the Facebook export option? If I choose to export this directly to Facebook am I given the option to choose which Facebook page I want it to go to? I have a personal profile and also two business pages. I want the video to go to one of my business pages, not to my personal profile. Can I direct which page it goes to? Also, since I have my doubts about how it's going to look after being exported directly to Facebook, can I choose to have it visible only to me? I need to be able to preview it to be sure the quality is okay before I make it public.

I hope to get this published toward the end of this week. Thank you for any help you can offer.

• 16. Re: Wavy fade-in
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 8.1 64 bit

First about Facebook...I use YouTube and Vimeo, but not Facebook.

In Premiere Elements 14 Windows, please export your Timeline to a MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 file saved to the computer hard drive. And, then upload that file to Facebook at the Facebook web site. The Premiere Elements 14 Windows export path in its new Expert & Share area would be

Export & Share

Devices

Custom

and use the preset MP4 1920 x 1080p30 as is.

Then upload that AVCHD.mp4 file from the hard drive save location to Facebook at the Facebook web site.

Now for the Facebook details...

1. Privacy...from the Facebook online help, you can set the privacy setting at upload or even after the upload is complete.

See  Video Privacy | Facebook Help Center | Facebook

2. For the rest, you will need to contact Facebook. I am not sure how to go back directing your upload to business page (assumed called Page) as opposed to personal profile at the Facebook web site. But see if this helps....

How do I log into my Business Page without using my personal profile? | Facebook Help Community | Facebook

I still have not sync'ed with what you are seeing in those initial 3 seconds of your video - at Full Screen and at various distances from the viewing screen.

I wonder....if what you see is at the first 3 seconds of the effect, what happens if you trim off the first 3 seconds of the effect, do you see these waves in the new first 3 seconds of the video?

ATR

• 17. Re: Wavy fade-in
                                          StreetSongs Level 1

Thank you, ATR. As far as the Facebook link, that only shows how to adjust privacy settings after a video has been uploaded, not before. As with all things Facebook, this is incredibly frustrating and backwards, but I'll take that issue up with them. And I'll see if I can get an answer from them about how to direct an upload to a business page rather than a personal profile. These things should be basic, fundamental, obvious and easy. But they're not.

I know that you have still not been able to see the problem in the video for yourself, and I no longer want to take up your time with it. I truly appreciate all your effort, but it's unlikely you'll be able to solve a problem you can't see. Unless I can find a cure on my own, I'll use the video as it stands and chalk it up to deficiencies in the Adobe program that can't be remedied. I will try your export settings for the Facebook upload.

I know you've taken a lot of time out of your schedule to try to diagnose this problem and I'm very grateful for that. There are many other issues demanding your time, so I will take mine off your plate. Thank you so much for your efforts.

• 18. Re: Wavy fade-in
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

I regret that I never could visualize the 3 seconds wave that you saw at the beginning of your clip. If I am typical of your viewers, all should go well, and the wave will go unnoticed by your viewers. I tried very hard to recreate what you were describing without success in that I saw no problems.

I thank you for looking into my comments on this.

As said, I never went Facebook. When I was trying to gather Facebook information for you, I got lost in the Page and private profile and one user account concepts.

Best wishes in your video projects.

ATR

• 19. Re: Wavy fade-in
                                              StreetSongs Level 1

ATR, I suspect you're right that the problem I see with the video will not be apparent to others, judging by the fact that you didn't see it. I'll release it and hope for the best. Thank you once again!