6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2015 12:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 13 freezing and crashing, Windows 10

pauld66641205

Just purchased Elements for daughter as she is taking a video editing class in school that is also using Elements.

Ever since the installation, Elements freezes and crashes frequently to the point of it being unusable.  This manifests in basic activates like importing clips and rendering simple (short) videos.

The computer exceeds the software requirements.  Windows is up to date as is Elements (13.1).

I've tried running the application in compatibility mode - Win8, but it does the same thing.

Any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Elements 13 freezing and crashing, Windows 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Does the program freeze and crash before you add any media to it or only when you are editing?

If it happens when you are importing or editing video, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Meantime, do go to Windows Settings/Update & Security and ensure you have all of the latest patches for Windows. Also I'd recommend you use Disk Cleaner and Disk Defragmenter and make sure your operating system is cleaned and defragged. The process of setting up a computer can cause a bucketload of junk and temp files!

And do make sure you've got the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements.

• 2. Re: Elements 13 freezing and crashing, Windows 10
            pauld66641205 Level 1

Windows is up to date.

It's running on a SSD so no defrag, but I did do a disk cleanup.

Quicktime is not compatible with Windows 10, can not install it.  Quicktime installer says win vista or 7.

She's only been trying to create a video using some animated gifs and text.

• 3. Re: Elements 13 freezing and crashing, Windows 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

pauld

There is an Apple/Windows 10 issue when it comes to the "latest version of QuickTime". Currently the latest version of QuickTime is 7.7.8

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

The above link and its source has worked on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 previously.

but many have found that it will not install or update to on Windows 10. The suggestion for now has been to settle for QuickTime 7.7.6 which will meet the Premiere Elements requirement for "latest version of QuickTime installed on same computer with Premiere Elements". QuickTime 7.7.6 installation files can be found at

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

I have Premiere Elements (many versions) on two different Windows 10 64 bit computers.

The WIndows 10 Home 64 bit considers 7.7.6 the latest version.

The Windows 10 Pro 64 bit consider 7.7.7 the latest version.

Neither will accept 7.7.8 which is supposed to be the latest version of QuickTime 7 offered by Apple.

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements 13 freezing and crashing, Windows 10
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As ATR implies, you DO need Quicktime on your computer in order to edit video. That's a definite.

Meantime, I'm not sure how much you can do in Premiere Elements using animated GIFs as source video. That's not really a source that Premiere Elements can work with. It's also a rather unusual source for video. Where did these GIFs come from and how long are they?

But Premiere Elements can certainly edit video projects made of GIF photos and JPEGs. So, once you get Quicktime installed, if you're still having problems, something else is up.

Am I wrong to assume that, since this is a new computer, that you've got a decently powered computer (an i-5 quad core or better) and at least 4-8 gigabytes of RAM?

• 5. Re: Elements 13 freezing and crashing, Windows 10
                  pauld66641205 Level 1

Not importing / trying to use animated GIFs has made all the difference.

Things are stable and rendering fine now.

Thanks for the help and tips on Quicktime.  I have yet to get it installed, but then things seem to be working without it right now.

• 6. Re: Elements 13 freezing and crashing, Windows 10
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

pauld

Glad to learn of your success. Great job.

But, please install the QuickTime version 7.7.6. QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

for your Windows 10 64 bit.

Please refer to my post 3 details which you might have missed since I think we posted in your thread at the same moment. QuickTime 7 for Windows 10 64 bit is a special case since Apple has not updated its current version 7.7.8 for Windows 10 64 bit.

Without it you will run into all sorts of problems in your Premiere Elements workflows. The most obvious should be that you will not be able to complete QuickTime exports (Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime). Just in case note...if you do not see the QuickTime choice under Publish+Share/Computer/, please use the thin scroll bar to the right of the choices to scroll down to QuickTime which is at the bottom of the list of choices. If you do not see anything under the QuickTime Presets field, that is the obvious sign that you are in trouble.

And, no matter what Apple shows for operating system for QuickTime QuickTime - Download - Apple, we all have been using that web page successfully for years for QuickTime for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 even when it was showing only up to Windows 7.

Out of curiosity...have you taken animated.gifs out of your projects completely in order to move forward in your Premiere Elements projects?

I have used animated.gifs from Photoshop Elements successfully in Premiere Elements and just wondering about your source of animated.gifs.

The above was for informational purposes. You need not reply if you are busy.

Best wishes

ATR