9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2015 8:22 AM by A.T. Romano

can't gert audio to import with video

bobm72566716

newbie with limited computer skills trying to get the audio to import with the video file from my computer.  I'm using newly purchased and installed premiere elements 13 on windows 8.1.   I cant' seem to get any audio to import for that matter.  The file I want was downloaded from Utube and it works on any other device.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   I'm probably doing something stupid as I'm not very computer savvy.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: can't gert audio to import with video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bobm

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit).

Is the problem in the Premiere Elements Editor or in its Elements Organizer or both?

Have you downloaded and installed the 13.1 update of 13 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

Have you downloaded your own file that you uploaded to YouTube? The YouTube agreement does not allow for downloads of its uploads unless specifically stated so. Not sure if this could be a factor in the Premiere Elements involvement.

Assuming that there is no protection issue involved...

1. What are the properties of this file that you import to your Premiere Elements Timeline - video and audio properties, like video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, etc.? After you import the file, if you go to Expert workspace and open Project Assets, right click the thumbnail for the file there, what properties do you see listed?

2. Is this problem just with these YouTube downloads? What happens if you import a video from your own camera into a Premiere  Elements project...does it have sound at playback of the file there in the Edit area monitor?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Please let us know if you need clarification on anything written above. We can go at whatever troubleshooting pace you prefer.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: can't gert audio to import with video
            bobm72566716 Level 1

thanks for the reply.  It'll take me awhile to get the info.  thanks again

• 3. Re: can't gert audio to import with video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

bobm

Thanks for the follow up.

Looking forward to more details of the issue as your schedule permits.

Since you have Premiere Elements on Windows 8.1 64 bit computer and if you decide to do some MPEG2.mpg export (Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG), you will probably run into a no video problem when you do the computer playback of the MPEG2.mpg with Windows Media Player. That is a Microsoft issue. The workaround is to download and install the free VLC player.

VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

ATR

• 4. Re: can't gert audio to import with video
                bobm72566716 Level 1

>thanks for your reply.  I downloaded the updates, didn't help.  I tried

importing something from my video camera and it worked with audio.  I

guess its the file from Utube.  It said it was legal to share it.  Whats

strange is the file will work on the windows media player.  I copied it

to a usb flash drive and every device I plug it into works fine.  It

wouldn't be such a big deal except its a video of Leota from the haunted

house at Disneyland. I want to use it for Halloween, but it needs her

voice.  Do you know of anyplace I could get copy of her?  The other thing

that was nice about this particular file was that someone had edited out

the music and left the voice - exactly what I need.  When I look at the

properties of that file, there is nothing about audio, yet she talks.

Any ideas?  Maybe it Leota's ghost in my computer messing with me. Thanks

again

Bob

A.T. Romano  created the

discussion

>

"can't gert audio to import with video"

>

To view the discussion, visit:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7979247#7979247

>

• 5. Re: can't gert audio to import with video
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

If you are working with a download of the file from YouTube and this download appears to have been edited before it went to YouTube, the protected video factor in all this looms.

Where did you see this OK to use....notice from YouTube, notice from person who edited the file and uploaded it, notice from Disney?

YouTube is strict on protected video audio on its web site, so I am not sure how the file got uploaded there without being banned if it were copy protected. You seem to be saying that the video part imports into Premiere Elements project but not the audio.

Consider downloading and installing the free codec utility program name GSpot and running the file through it, noting

Video Name, Codec, Status

and

Audio Name and Status

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

ATR

• 6. Re: can't gert audio to import with video
                    bobm72566716 Level 1

Hi Mr. ATR

I don't recall how I found it, but yes the video does import to adobe,

just no audio.  I believe the person that removed the music and left the

words said it was o.k. to copy.  Maybe I'm naïve, but I certainly don't

have the talent to copy something that is protected, and wouldn't if I

could.  I'll look into it.  Thanks again.

Bob

A.T. Romano  created the

discussion

>

>

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7979640#7979640

>

• 7. Re: can't gert audio to import with video
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for looking into the origins of the file so that we can rule some troubleshooting factors in or out.

Did you have a chance to put the file through the codec utility to see if audio codec availability might be involved.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: can't gert audio to import with video
                        bobm72566716 Level 1

Hi ATR

I found how I got the file. Whoever made it got it from a dvd, modified it

and put it on utube.  They also put an address where anyone could download

it.  So I downloaded it again from their site and put it in Adobe and the

audio worked!  I have no idea how it worked this time and not before, but

I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, just ride it.  Thanks for all your

help.

Bob

A.T. Romano  created the

discussion

>

>

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7979729#7979729

>

• 9. Re: can't gert audio to import with video
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

Thanks for the great news of success. If you are OK with the rights of use for the source video, looking good.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR