5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2015 1:33 PM by danael3211801

Missing catalog

danael3211801

I recently moved my photo files to an external hard drive. I thought this would just disconnect my files and I would have to reconnect them with the new hard drive. Instead everything has been removed from Lightroom. All my photos, presets, and collections are gone. It's like a brand new program with nothing in it. Where did all my information go, and please...if someone could help me get all my files and edits back into Lightroom? I'm in the process now of transferring everything back from the external hard drive back to the computer.

• 1. Re: Missing catalog
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

By chance did you also move the LR catalog file. It ends with a .(DOT)lrcat (that's a lower case L not an i).

Use a search program and search all your drives for .lrcat.

• 2. Re: Missing catalog
            danael3211801 Level 1

I did come across that information while researching how to fix this. When I do the search for the .lrcat file, three files come up. 2 that say Lightroom 5 catalog and 1 that says Lightroom 5 catalog.lrcat.lock. They don't seem to do anything though when I click on them. I found info somewhere that stated I need to delete the Lightroom 5 catalog.lrcat.lock file?     From: Shootistbond007 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

To: Danae Lohr <mrsprima@att.net>

Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2015 6:09 PM

Subject:  Missing catalog

Missing catalog

created by Shootistbond007 in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionBy chance did you also move the LR catalog file. It ends with a .(DOT)lrcat (that's a lower case L not an i). Use a search program and search all your drives for .lrcat. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7979641#7979641 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7979641#7979641 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 3. Re: Missing catalog
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Where are the 2 that say Lightroom Catalog.lrcat (No .Lock)? is one on your external drive that you Moved your images to?

If Lightroom is closed there should not be any .Lock file. It should automatically be deleted when LR closes and be recreated once you reopen LR. It is there so no other instance of LR, or any other program, can change/edit the catalog file other than the currently open version LR has it open.

I think you accidentally moved over your current catalog file when you moved your images (It is a very bad idea to have all your images and the LR catalog in the same folder structure, IMHO). So when you opened LR it couldn't find the Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat file and created a new one which of course will be empty.

With LR closed copy back the .lrcat file and the Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata folder from the external drive to the default location it came from. If that new catalog file and the new Previews folder are there select to Overwrite them, Yes to All. Then the next time you open LR all your imported images should show up and all your edits should be in tact.

IMHO it is best to have the LR catalog file and the Previews folder on an internal disk unless you are moving the external from system to system. Even then I suggest the catalog file and the previews folder be in a separate folder from your images on the external drive you plan on moving from system to system.

• 4. Re: Missing catalog
                danael3211801 Level 1

I really appreciate your help with this. I looked up the .lrdata folder and confirmed it is in a separate folder titled Lightroom on my computer. It's under Mypictures/lightroom/lightroom 5 catalog previews.lrdata. There are several folders inside the lrdata folder, some numbered 0-9 and some lettered A-F. Then there is a "preview" and "root pixels" file. All the folders have subfolders but there isn't anything in them. I found another Lightroom folder that I did move to the external hard drive, so I moved that back to my computer. I opened lightroom and there is still nothing there and all the folders are still empty, but I hope I'm getting closer to fixing this.

Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2015 5:40 AM

Missing catalog

created by Shootistbond007 in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionWhere are the 2 that say Lightroom Catalog.lrcat (No .Lock)? is one on your external drive that you Moved your images to?If Lightroom is closed there should not be any .Lock file. It should automatically be deleted when LR closes and be recreated once you reopen LR. It is there so no other instance of LR, or any other program, can change/edit the catalog file other than the currently open version LR has it open. I think you accidentally moved over your current catalog file when you moved your images (It is a very bad idea to have all your images and the LR catalog in the same folder structure, IMHO). So when you opened LR it couldn't find the Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat file and created a new one which of course will be empty. With LR closed copy back the .lrcat file and the Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata folder from the external drive to the default location it came from. If that new catalog file and the new Previews folder are there select to Overwrite them, Yes to All. Then the next time you open LR all your imported images should show up and all your edits should be in tact. IMHO it is best to have the LR catalog file and the Previews folder on an internal disk unless you are moving the external from system to system. Even then I suggest the catalog file and the previews folder be in a separate folder from your images on the external drive you plan on moving from system to system. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7980321#7980321 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7980321#7980321 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 5. Re: Missing catalog
                  danael3211801 Level 1

I did it...I fixed it! Not really sure how I fixed it, but everything is back in Lightroom. Thank you for your help. I know it was your guidance that took me in the right direction.

Thanks again,Danae

Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2015 5:40 AM

Missing catalog

created by Shootistbond007 in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionWhere are the 2 that say Lightroom Catalog.lrcat (No .Lock)? is one on your external drive that you Moved your images to?If Lightroom is closed there should not be any .Lock file. It should automatically be deleted when LR closes and be recreated once you reopen LR. It is there so no other instance of LR, or any other program, can change/edit the catalog file other than the currently open version LR has it open. I think you accidentally moved over your current catalog file when you moved your images (It is a very bad idea to have all your images and the LR catalog in the same folder structure, IMHO). So when you opened LR it couldn't find the Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat file and created a new one which of course will be empty. With LR closed copy back the .lrcat file and the Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata folder from the external drive to the default location it came from. If that new catalog file and the new Previews folder are there select to Overwrite them, Yes to All. Then the next time you open LR all your imported images should show up and all your edits should be in tact. IMHO it is best to have the LR catalog file and the Previews folder on an internal disk unless you are moving the external from system to system. Even then I suggest the catalog file and the previews folder be in a separate folder from your images on the external drive you plan on moving from system to system. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7980321#7980321 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7980321#7980321 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.