2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2015 1:08 PM by Szalam

Reduce Render Time on Large Project

carols23296481

I have a large after effects project. It is twelve seconds long, 1080p, a has multiple compositions and effects including lens flare, controllers, and more. Four of the comps have eight layers, one of them has 32 layers. I'm exporting as an mp4 with H.265 at 59FPS, but it says it going to take more than a day to render. Currently using a Macbook Pro with a 2.2ghz, 16GB of RAM, and Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB.

I also have a PC with an AMDFX8350 8-core. 8GB of RAM, and a 2GB GTX 750 TI, if that would be any faster?

• 1. Re: Reduce Render Time on Large Project
          KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, most applications estimate how long your render will take based on how long recent frames have taken to render, multiplied by the number of existing frames left to render.  It's not uncommon for applications to 'guestimate' incorrectly if the amount of render time (per frame) changes over the course of the composition that needs to be rendered.  Your "more than a day" may vary. (and get worse/longer?)

Anecdotal evidence (from may applications that give render estimations): 

Some renders that estimate a long time change to short if the computational requirements go down.

Some renders that estimate a short time change to a long total render time if the comp becomes more difficult to render at the end.

Hardware will always change the result of estimations.

My advice:

Render a sequence of frames from After Effects.

Once they are complete, compile them into an mp4.

- You'll potentially save some headache

- You may be able to use both machines to render simultaneously (see Automated Rendering and Adobe Media Encoder for possible options)

• 2. Re: Reduce Render Time on Large Project
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with KoMaruyama that you should render to an image sequence first - especially if a render is going to take a long time.

What is in your project? I mean, you have a pretty weak computer, but a day for 12 seconds seems to indicate some pretty complex stuff. Did you accidentally turn on the ray-traced renderer?