5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2015 4:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Unable to capture video from HDV source (Sony HDR FX1) - FEATURES REMOVED from Elements 13 seriously???

briang54761013 Level 1

After purchasing Premiere Elements for the purpose of capturing HDV or DV video, and having tried the trial of Elements 12 and seeing the features I bought Premiere Elements 13, after troubleshoooting and researching I found out they basically stripped this version down to nothing and are selling it under the same brand name Premiere Elements. This is mis-leading to say the least since previous versions had these features. Unbelievable:

Features removed  from Premiere Elements 13 which were in Premiere Elements 12.... aren't you supposed to ADD fundamental features to a new product or at the least provide backward compatibility???

The following features have been removed in Adobe Premiere Elements:

• DV capture
      • HDV capture
      • Timelapse capture (Stop motion)
      • Export to FLV
      • Export to Web DVD
      • Face frame option in Pan & Zoom
      • Interest slider in Smart Trim

So after paying $$$ I can only capture in old windows movie maker in .dvr-ms file container at 1440x1080 (file properties reports it at 720x480 but opening in WMP shows correct properties) using MPEG-2 compression (not good at all for editing...depending on GOP structure ) I'm pretty shocked that they've lowered the bar so low for this product, without HDV or even DV acquisition leaves only WDM capture?????

I guess they need to force users to pay for Premiere Pro now...this is really disappointing

What are my alternatives for aquiring .M2T files now? Are there plans to make the product functional again?

• 1. Re: Unable to capture video from HDV source (Sony HDR FX1) - FEATURES REMOVED from Elements 13 seriously???
          A.T. Romano Level 7

briang

This is not Adobe, rather user to user forum. The frequency of the Adobe presence in this forum is undefined.

The Adobe workarounds for the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 condition are cited in the document that you appear to have already.

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is the last version which has the DV and HDV capture firewire into a Premiere Elements Capture Window.

You can capture firewire into another software and the import those captures into the Premiere Elements project with Premiere Elements/Add Media/Files and Folder...

Often seen choices for this purpose if Windows is involved

WinDV WinDV

HDV Split HDVSplit 0.77 beta

(the split clips from HDVSplit should be MPEG2.m2t files)

Adobe is expected to release a new version of Premiere Elements in a few days/weeks (name expected to be Premiere Elements 14). The feature for the new release are not made known until the moment of the release of the new version. I have no insider information on such details. I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway.

If you need clarification on any of the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 2. Re: Unable to capture video from HDV source (Sony HDR FX1) - FEATURES REMOVED from Elements 13 seriously???
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use the free HDVSplit, even though I have Premiere Pro:

HDVSplit 0.77 beta

Don't worry about the beta designation.  It's been out there for years and is rock solid.

• 3. Re: Unable to capture video from HDV source (Sony HDR FX1) - FEATURES REMOVED from Elements 13 seriously???
              A.T. Romano Level 7

briang

Have you been using HDVSplit all along?

Just a point of clarification about what you wrote

What are my alternatives for acquiring .M2T files now?

What have you been using for your HDV data capture firewire when working with Premiere Elements 12/12.1?

a. Premiere Elements Add Media/HDV Camcorder/Capture Window for MPEG2.mpg split clips

or

b. Doing the HDV capture firewire in HDVSplit and from there bringing in the split clips (which are MPEG2.M2T files not MPEG2.MPG) into the Premiere Elements project with Premiere Elements's Add Media/Files and Folders/?

MPEG2.mpg is expected on the Timeline when you go choice a above,  not MPEG2.m2t.

The MPEG2.m2t is what is expected for the split clips from HDVSplit which is what I mentioned originally and Peru Bob has repeated.

Does that mean you already use HDV Split? That is the alternative to the Premiere Elements 12 and earlier HDV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements Capture Window.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Unable to capture video from HDV source (Sony HDR FX1) - FEATURES REMOVED from Elements 13 seriously???
                briang54761013 Level 1

Thank for the quick & helpful replies ATR & Peru Bob. I just checked those out and was a little leery at first, but the HDV Split works great, I hadn't used that previously. I just grabbed a 10 min .m2t file no issues, and imported it in so I guess that's an option for me. I'm just getting back into the NLE after a few years (you can tell by my hardware probably, and I used to use premiere 5.0 to CS3) so I had used the trial of elements 12 and just used the Add Media/HDV Camcorder to make sure it recognized my camera and captured....and honestly didn't even pay that much attention to the file format at that time (was a little while ago) so thanks for the details on that. I just saw that m2t was a possibility  I was trying to avoid getting into Premiere Pro because of the $$ delta of course, and I really only need HDV/DV acquisition, chroma key, dissolves, some basic editing, and output to AVCHD/BluRay/DVD but need capture from HDV IEEE1394 of course. I think I'm going to wait to see what Premiere Elements 14 brings to the table, but now I've got a great free capture tool so thank you both!

Brian

• 5. Re: Unable to capture video from HDV source (Sony HDR FX1) - FEATURES REMOVED from Elements 13 seriously???
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

Great news. Great job of putting factors together to work for you.

Please let us know if you have any questions about feature locations and other aspects of your workflow.

Principles tend to stay the same from version to version, but those features tend to get moved, changed, replaced, deleted from version to version.

It will be a good idea to look at the new version tryout before purchase to assure its compatibility with your computer environment and project goals.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR