7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2015 7:11 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I stop it from saying it "has stopped working" after a couple of seconds of loading elements?

ericw31821197

I have reinstalled it but it still pops up after a couple of seconds of loading a project that it has stopped working. I am not a very techy person so please be precise and basic if possible. Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I stop it from saying it "has stopped working" after a couple of seconds of loading elements?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ericw

What version of Premiere Elements and what computer operating system is involved?

What is the sequence of events leading up to "stopped working"

1. You double click the desktop icon for the program, never see a Welcome Screen, Crash

2. You double click the desktop icon for the program, get to the Welcome Screen, select Video Editor/New Project or Video Editor/Open Existing Project, Crash

3. Other?

Let us go through the typical drill....

a. Does the problem exist with and without antivirus and firewalls disabled/

b. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed and are you running the programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges? Besides that, right click the desktop icon for the program, select and apply Run As Administrator.

c. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? For Windows, check for number of cards that your computer uses. See Device Manager/Display Adapters/name of your video card/graphics card (s).

d. Is this a "it worked before but not now" issue or a "it never worked before" issue? What caused you to uninstall/reinstall the program before you posted your thread here? Same problem?

e. What are your computer resources - processor, clock speed, installed and available RAM, free hard drive space? Also, what is location for your scratch files, and how much free hard drive space is there at that location or locations? (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks).

Please answer the above questions. If you have problem answering a question, please let me know and I will clarify whatever you do not understand.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I stop it from saying it "has stopped working" after a couple of seconds of loading elements?
            ericw31821197 Level 1

APE 13, and a core i5 computer. Sequence: I load APE, I open up a project and start working on it, then it says "APE has stopped working".

The other questions I can't answer since I am not the best with tech.

• 3. Re: How do I stop it from saying it "has stopped working" after a couple of seconds of loading elements?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ericw

Thanks. Let us continue.

When you open a project and start working on it, are you working on a new project or have you opened a project that you had worked on and then saved closed?

For either answer, it is very important to know the format of what you have imported into the project and are working on when the program stops working.

Or, does a new project crash right after you open it before you have had the chance to import your video into this new project?

For getting at the video format description, we could try by you telling us what the brand/model/settings are for the camera that recorded the video.

If that does not work out, then import your video into the project...Expert workspace/Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. In Project Assets, right click the thumbnail of the video that you just imported, and select Properties. Please tell us what you see for the video properties, especially frame size, frame rate, and pixel aspect ratio.

Also, please go to the desktop icon for Premiere Elements, right click that icon, select and click on Run As Administrator to apply it.

Let us determine how much progress we can make with the above questions and answers, and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I stop it from saying it "has stopped working" after a couple of seconds of loading elements?
                ericw31821197 Level 1

It crashed after I imported my content. I recorded with a Canon Rebel T5i (.MOV) and an action camera (.AVI) and pictures that were (.JPG). Both cameras shot 30fps and that's all I know.

• 5. Re: How do I stop it from saying it "has stopped working" after a couple of seconds of loading elements?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ericw

Good information with which to start....

1. Information that is easy to know - Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on what computer operating system is it running - Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer? If Windows, go to Control Panel/Installed Program and look for QuickTime 7.

This is essential information especially since one of your Timeline content formats is .mov.

3. There are lots of different types of AVI files, some are not compatible with Premiere Elements. What is the brand/model/settings of the action camera that recorded these AVI files? Files like AVCHD or H.264.avi are not compatible with Premiere Elements. And Xvid.avi files have major problems with Premiere Elements. And, if that action camera is recording with a variable rather than constant frame rate, that would be a major issue. What other formats can you use to record with the action camera if the one that you are using is not compatible with Premiere Elements?

4. JPEG should be OK, provided the you did not apply a CMYK color profile to it in Photoshop.

The answers are in the details. Regarding post 4, you say that is all you know. I am hoping that we can work together to help you recall other details that you did not realize you already had.

Looking forward to your follow up as your time permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I stop it from saying it "has stopped working" after a couple of seconds of loading elements?
                    ericw31821197 Level 1

It is a 64-Bit computer and I looked to see where Quicktime was yet could

not find it even with the given directions. Today, I converted the avi

files to mp4 but still after I made a new project, it stopped working after

about 5 minutes. I am not sure if I lost my work or not but I really look

forward to resolving this as soon as possible.

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 9:57 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: How do I stop it from saying it "has stopped working" after a couple of seconds of loading elements?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ericw

QuickTime 7 is an Adobe System Requirement. If you do not find it as a desktop icon and listed in Control Panel/Installed programs, then please install it.

Use the following link to install QuickTime 7.7.8 if you have Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.  QuickTime - Download - Apple

Use the following link to install QuickTime 7.7.6 if you have Windows 10 64 bit. QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

The more requested details the faster this troubleshooting will progress. Example...still do not know operating system except for 64 bit and not sure of what your original avi file is...all I know of that is that you have now converted it to .mp4.

What error messages, if any, are associated with the program stopping or shutting down? In the 5 minutes before shutdown, what has you done to the imported media

nothing, just added more media

applied effects to imported media

other?

Once you have QuickTime installed, look at the project with just the .mov files on the Timeline, and then look at the same project with just the .avi or .avi/mp4 files on the Timeline.

Please consider that the answers are in the details.

Thanks.

ATR