9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2015 4:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Project preset and actual export resolution

faziasty

I'm editing video in PE11.

Source is from GoPro, it's 1080@60. There is no preset in PE for that resolution and framerate so i chose by mistake some preset with AVCHD squarepixel 720p@60. Did couple days of editing before i realised it, and from what i can see, i cannot change the project resolution now..

So the question is:

If original file is 1080p, project preset is 720p and i export it with 1080p setting - do i lose that quality/resolution? I mean, does PE downsample my video to 720p and then change it again to 1080p? Which would result in lose of quality. Like trying to save 480p as 720p etc.?

Or maybe, it's just internal preset for editing purporse only and in the end i get original 1080p from my files?

IF NOT... Can i somehow copy my work to new project set as fullhd?

• 1. Re: Project preset and actual export resolution
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If your project is set up for 1280x720 video, faziasty, your output video will only be 1280x720. If you output it as 1920x1080, you will get a 1280x720 video file blown up to 1920x1080.

But double-check your project settings before you panic. Look at Project Settings under the Edit menu. Since version 11, Premiere Elements is designed to automatically set your project up to match the video specs of the first clip on your timeline, so the program may have automatically set the project to 1920x1080. Though sometimes the program has trouble reading the specs of MOV files.

Newer versions of Premiere Elements interface even more effectively with Go Pro footage and that includes 1080p, so it's quite possible that Premiere Elements matched your project settings automatically to match your video.

• 2. Re: Project preset and actual export resolution
            A.T. Romano Level 7

faziasty

Please revisit your Premiere Elements 11 project presets under File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

There is indeed a project preset for 1080p60. See

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

A key consideration in selecting the project preset is to select one that matches the properties of the source video and directs the program to establish the correct format space in the Edit area monitor for editing (in this case 1920 x 1080). So, you see, in that regard, unless you are doing frame by frame by frame editing, not to worry if frame rate match cannot be found. But this does not apply to you. You have a project preset that matches your video's frame size, frame rate, and scan order.

The Adobe party line is that once the project preset is established you cannot change it. You start a new project with the correct project preset.

I have described how to change the project's settings without starting a new project under certain circumstances. It involves editing the Notepad document of the saved closed project preset. Often it is quicker to just start a new project. Consider.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Changing Project Settings Without Starting A New Project

This troubleshooting is not applicable to Premiere Elements 13/13.1. It applies to version earlier than 13/13.1.

What is your intended export...export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc? If export to file, I can give you instructions how to export your 1080p60 Timeline to 1080p60 file.

Please review the above and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Project preset and actual export resolution
              faziasty Level 1

It haven't matched project with files automatically..

project.jpg

Steve Grisetti If you output it as 1920x1080, you will get a 1280x720 video file blown up to 1920x1080.

Are you sure of that? Becouse output files in 1080p seems to look better than 720p, both watched full screen of course, same bitrate. Or maybe it's just my wishful thinking.

• 4. Re: Project preset and actual export resolution
                faziasty Level 1

A.T. Romano

I don't see such preset.

new-project.jpg

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Changing Project Settings Without Starting A New Project

It's too hardcore for me. And i would have to change like million lines.

I want to export to file saved to hard drive, after that also upload it to youtube.

• 5. Re: Project preset and actual export resolution
                  faziasty Level 1

Another interesting thing is that when i export to 720p and 1080p, with same settings only different resolution, exact same work area - output file size is almost identical. How is that?

• 6. Re: Project preset and actual export resolution
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

faziasty

Thanks for the follow up.

There is no reason why you should have to settle for 1280 x 720 instead of 1920 x 1080 one way or another.

First about those 1080p60 and 1080p50 project presets. You should have them. But there was an episode where users in some parts of the world soon learned that they were missing from the purchased program. This is the Adobe download which contains the files to place in the Premiere Elements Program Files.

Missing presets

Here are your options as I see them for the goal that you defined at the end of your post 4.

1. New project

a. Download and install and use the 1080p60 project preset

b. Export

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 and customize that preset to 1080p60 under the Advanced Button of the preset

Focus on the Video Tab part of the screenshot

youtubedestination.JPG

c. Upload this AVCHD.mp4 1080p60 file to YouTube at the YouTube web site

2. New Project, the rest including Premiere Elements export and YouTube upload at YouTube same as above, just do not bother with getting the missing preset into Premiere Elements...just use the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

3. Old project with the NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD LITE 720p60 project preset that you decided to go with before posting here

a. Import your 1080p60 into that 720p60 project

b. Export as in 1 and 2 above

c. Upload the 1080p60 file to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Project preset and actual export resolution
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

faziasty

Regarding your post numbered 5....please give more information about your comparison

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

Presets = ? for the 720p

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

Presets = ? for the 1080p

or

Are you doing something else? Are you working with the default for the preset or doing customization under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset?

ATR

Add On...Bitrate and file duration are important here. If this is the same file, then the duration is the same. What about the Bitrates?

• 8. Re: Project preset and actual export resolution
                        faziasty Level 1

Thank you for your patience.

I downloaded the missing preset, thanks, it will became handy in the future. With this one i wont start everything from scratch becouse thinking of this idea makes me suicidal.

"3. Old project with the NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD LITE 720p60 project preset that you decided to go with before posting here

a. Import your 1080p60 into that 720p60 project

b. Export as in 1 and 2 above

c. Upload the 1080p60 file to YouTube at the YouTube web site."

Ok, i don't get this part. Import my 1080p60 files into 720p60 project? That's how it is right now. What's the purporse?

Or maybe you are saying that it's bad choice but only one for me. then i get it.

"Are you doing something else? Are you working with the default for the preset or doing customization under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset?

Add On...Bitrate and file duration are important here. If this is the same file, then the duration is the same. What about the Bitrates?"

Every setting in export preset is the same, it's AVCHD "MP4 H264 1920x1080p 30". I played only with resolution and framerate. Both output files have 32mb/s bitrate, same 9 seconds of work area - 720p file is 35679KB, 1080p file is 35659KB.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Project preset and actual export resolution
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

faziasty

Thanks for the reply.

Let me clarify the 3rd of 3 for what I believe to be your choices for getting this particular project done under the circumstances cited.

Major circumstance.....this is what you have now....you set a 720p60 project preset for your 1080p60 project, did your edits, cannot go back to set the correct project settings (1080p60) unless you open a new project and start from the beginning. If you have more 1080p60 files to add to this project, fine. If not, head for export of that Timeline content to 1080p60 using the workflow details that I have already posted. I am suggesting that the outcome is not going to be as bad as you seem to be projecting. This seems to be the only choice under the circumstances to salvage that project.

Thanks for the details on your question on why same file size for your 720p and 1080p exports.

Based on the description of how you made the comparison, the same or comparable file size would be expected for these exports.

Consider each will have the same bitrate (32 Mbps) and duration 9 seconds.

32 Mbps (megabits per second) x 9 seconds = 288 megabits

If we convert those 288 megabits into KB (kilobytes per second), we get 36000 KB (kilobytes) as the estimated file size.

Compare my calculations with what you actually observed

720p file, 35649 KB

1080p file, 35659 KB

Please consider.

Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

ATR