Version of InDesign? Operating system version? Only one file or all files?
Did you put your content on a master page instead of the document page? Locked layer?
As Peter said:
- Are the items on a Master Page, instead of a document page by any chance?
- Can you try to Command-Shift-Click (Mac) or Ctrl-Shift-Click (Windows) to release them from the Master?
- Have you checked your Layers panel, to see if they are on a locked layer?
- Is there a lock icon at the upper left corner of the frames? If so, click it to un-lock the item (InDesign CC and newer).
- Have you tried going to the Object Menu > Unlock All on Spread?
- Have you scanned your system for Corrupt Fonts?
It also sounds like there are performance issues, try Restoring your InDesign preferences:
- Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences https://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990
- Log out of your Adobe ID in the Help menu, and log-in again.
- Restart your computer
Note: It is ALWAYS helpful to know if you are Mac or Windows and what version of InDesign you are running...