7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2015 1:56 PM by Peter Spier

Howto make a list of copyrights for used photos in a book

m2cv

Hi all!

I'm doing my first book for the anniversary of a community organization I'm involved in, and I am struggeling to build a index of copyrighted material used. I have tried searching the web, but I might be using the wrong term.

What I would like it to look like is this:

General Electric: 48,49,50,134,188

General Motors: 59

Jane Doe: 4,54,86,100

John Doe: 3,54,139,201

The closest I have managed to get is to create a ToC listing everything from a given paragraph style, but this would return

John Doe: 3

Jane Doe: 4

General Electric: 48

General Electric: 49

General Electric: 50

Jane Doe: 54

John Doe: 54

General Motors: 59

...and so on.

With hundreds of pictures, this will be an extremely long list.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction to achieve what I'm after?

TIA for your help!

• 1. Re: Howto make a list of copyrights for used photos in a book
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I developed a method to do this for creating index to advertisers lists about 6 years ago. It's described at Re: Generate an index of product codes..., while I was working out the method, or you can buy the back issue of InDesign magazine where I wrote it up cleanly: https://indesignsecrets.com/issues/issue-30

It takes a lot of prep work and manual tagging, but once you've done that the listing is nearly automatic.

• 2. Re: Howto make a list of copyrights for used photos in a book

Actually, now that I think about it, if your list is already sorted alphabetically rather than by page, it might be enough to just run the script that combines the listings.

• 3. Re: Howto make a list of copyrights for used photos in a book
              m2cv Level 1

Thanks, I'll look into it. I really appreciate your help!

• 4. Re: Howto make a list of copyrights for used photos in a book
                Bo LeBeau Level 4

If you are talking about the actual copyrights of photographs, I think the most common use is to place it directly below the photo, or if a caption is also used, to add the copyright after the caption.

When you look at a book or magazine where the photos are not necessarily the property of the writer or publication, this seems to be the common usage.

Sometimes it may have the copyright symbol ©, photographers name and year. Others may have just have "© General Electric", or whatever.

Phrases such as "used by permission of Jane Doe"  or "Photo by Jane Doe" or other more informal acknowledgements are sometimes used.

I don't believe I have seen an index of copyrights at the end of a book.

After looking at several books I found one that had a list at the beginning of the book.

Esquire - The Best of Forty Years    copyright © 1973 by Esquire, Inc.

They had listed the copyright information for the various articles with the author copyright, reprinted by permission of the specific publisher and the title of the book where it was first printed.

Picture credits listed the pages and the person or organization which held the copyrights of the photos.

I'm no expert and some of this was from Googling.

I believe that I read that this copyright list should be either immediately before the title page or immediately after the title page.

The Esquire example above had this starting on the backside of the title page.

Look at some books for examples to decide how you want to handle this.

• 5. Re: Howto make a list of copyrights for used photos in a book
                  m2cv Level 1

Thanks Bo, I realise there might be cultural differences here, and I will certainly dive deeper into this before making the final decision. I have, however looked at a couple of books I have with me here, and they list their photo credits along with other sources and references on the last 5-10 pages.

With that said, at least one of them looks like the credits table has been made manually, which is something I would prefer not to have to do. Generating automatic ToC based on text from Exif Copyright field on a hidden layer is so much easier

Our book will be using a lot of images that doesn't necessarily need captions, as they are quite self-explanatory, but we still need to acknowledge the photographer and/or copyright holder. I'd rather not have to make a caption just for copyright, but of course that might be an option.

• 6. Re: Howto make a list of copyrights for used photos in a book
                    m2cv Level 1

Thanks again, Peter.

I finally had time to try the script in the other thread you linked to, and it worked almost right away. (Just had to do a search-replace the “ 's with " 's, don't know if it's a language thing just adding it here in case anyone else runs into a syntax error)

Anyway, this combines my entries just perfectly!

And about sorting the entries alphabetically - I never managed to get the "Sort alphabetically" option within the ToC style to work, but again thanks to you, I actually had to investigate scripting, and the sample script called "SortParagraphs.vbs" does just that.

A double star for you, Sir. (and this fantastic community!)

• 7. Re: Howto make a list of copyrights for used photos in a book

Glad I was able to help.