21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 1:08 PM by tobij39213645

pdf naming

one "O"

Have any of you noticed that sometimes when saving a pdf from a file that was a previously saved version, i.e. a business card to change the persons info and then you save it under a new file name, InDesign in its infinite wisdom will sometimes retain the original file name for the exported .pdf file . . . . It wouldn't bother me so much if it were consistent . . . but it just depends on the direction of the wind and the relative humidity at the time you write the file . . . .?????

Any Ideas????

• 1. Re: pdf naming
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It is actually very consistent.

If you change the PDF name and then save the file, that name is saved with the file. If you simply export and accept the default name and then do a save as with the file to a new file name, the new default will be the name of the new file.

• 2. Re: pdf naming
            one "O" Level 1

Yes - if you change the pdf name it will remember it . . . but if you save the file using “save as” with a new file name it will sometimes hold onto the old file name and if my old file name for instance is 39658 - Tribez Howard-Jones-Smith, and the new file name is 42569 Tribez Anderson, Sanchez, Gates . . . it can be cumbersome to 1, remember the exact name you gave it and 2. if it did it every time (which it doesn’t) you would know what to expect.

I have been burned by this probably 100’s of times - my salesmen come back and say you didn’t do this proof - its not in the proof folder - then we go look and there is the original file name with the new names in the document . . .  go figure.

• 3. Re: pdf naming

IME, it is 100% consistent. If you change the PDF name and then save, the PDF name travels with the file forever. If you don’t change it, the PDF name will always be the name of the file.

The key is whether you save after or before the export.

BTW, when you reply via email you should delete your personal info as that response is posted on the web.

I’ll delete it for you this time.

• 4. Re: pdf naming
                one "O" Level 1

Bob . ..

Ok I have been dealing with this for years here are the steps that I follow but remember that it can only be reproduced 2 or 3 % of the time . .

I am running CC2015, Mac OSx10.10.3

1. Open an existing file

2. Make necessary changes to file

3. Save file under the new name

4. Export to a pdf using pdf preset

5. Expect the name to be the newly saved file name

Sometimes it does Sometimes it doesn’t . . .

I realize that if you rename the pdf the next export of that pdf holds onto that name - my problem is that it isn’t holding onto the name I gave it in step 3 like I would expect it too - if it were consistent It would be easier to deal with . . .

Bob

To get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with.

-- Mark Twain

• 5. Re: pdf naming

The only way it would keep the old name is if you had somewhere along the lines saved the file after exporting.

I’ve been using ID for a long, long time and it’s 100% consistent for me so I’m afraid I can’t be of any help here since I have never seen this behavior and I don’t recall anyone else reporting it either.

I’m sorry, but perhaps someone else will come along with some insight.

• 6. Re: pdf naming
                    one "O" Level 1

Bob . ..  just for clarification . .

I opened up the 39124 Tirbes Blk Hwk bc Franklin.indd

changed the name in the file to jones instead of Franklin

saved the file as 39124 Tribez Blk Hwk bc jones.idd

attempted to export it using a pdf preset I have made for proofs

wouldn’t let me due to a naming conflict

you can see the newly saved file name in the document title bar and the name its trying to give it in the dialog box

let me know what you think

see attached screenshot

Bob

"If you think you are too small to be effective

you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

• 7. Re: pdf naming
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The forum doesn't accept email attachments. You have to embed the screen capture on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

For what it's worth, my experience is exactly the same as Bob's. If you change the name of the PDF in the export dialog, then save the .indd after the export, the new name is forever used until you export to IDML to clean it out. If you don't save after the export, the name of the file becomes the default.

• 8. Re: pdf naming
                        Kelly McCathran User Group Manager

one "O"

Bob is correct. Here is the scenario, test for yourself:

1. Open a file named export_original.indd (I'm assuming you are using File > Export, not Save As PDF from InDesign)
                        2. Export to PDF and the name will be: export_original.pdf (you don't change the PDF name here)
                        3. Choose File > Save As: export_new_01.indd
                        4. File > Export > Adobe PDF
                        5. Filename will be: export_new_01.pdf
                        6. Export again (the file called export_new_01.indd)
                        7. File > Export > Adobe PDF, this is the trigger, change the name to" export_new_02.pdf (InDesign NOW remembers that as your PDF file name).
                        8. Choose File > Save As on the InDesign document: export_final_03.indd
                        9. File > Export > Adobe PDF, the resulting name will be: export_new_02.pdf, because you manually changed the PDF name on the last export. When you want the filename to be: export_final_03.pdf. That won't happen now.

Summary: If you don't change the PDF name when exporting in step 7, you will stop battling with this. I know this isn't always possible, so send a feature request here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Personally, I always have "versions" of my PDFs (usually on the same day). In my workflow, I might:

• Create an InDesign_intro_01.indd
                        • Export this 3 - 5 times, until I've "soft proofed" everything in Acrobat, changing the number at the end each time to 02, 03, 04, etc. as I update and make edits in InDesign
                        • The final PDF, that I send to my client, is the highest number, so I am quite used to typing a "slightly" new name every time I Export to PDF
                        • 9. Re: pdf naming
                          one "O" Level 1

Reposted with screenshotScreen Shot 2015-09-21 at 1.38.31 PM.jpg

Bob . ..  just for clarification . .

I opened up the 39124 Tirbes Blk Hwk bc Franklin.indd

changed the name in the file to jones instead of Franklin

saved the file as 39124 Tribez Blk Hwk bc jones.idd

attempted to export it using a pdf preset I have made for proofs

wouldn’t let me due to a naming conflict

you can see the newly saved file name in the document title bar and the name its trying to give it in the dialog box

let me know what you think

see attached screenshot

Kelly - the issues is that I make one proof for a new job and rename the "new file" with the new job # and description . . . and save it . . . .  why should I have to remember the exact filename I typed when I saved it just 290 seconds before . . . it just seems like a lot of work if you want the file name to be the pdf name and some daze I do this 20 - 40 times . .  and it doesn't always do it so that is my biggest complaint . . . its not consistent and that makes me miss it when I am in a  hurry . .  .

• 10. Re: pdf naming
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think the last time it was opened somebody changed the name of the PDF and saved the file....

You can clean it up by exporting to IDML, then open that and overwrite the existing .indd, or save with a new name.

• 11. Re: pdf naming
                              one "O" Level 1

Peter  . . . I'm trying to make life easier rather than screw around with IDML then INDD then a new name . .  why can't it just use the current file name . . . is that too hard?????

And since I am the only one here . .  nobody changed the pdf name or touched the file but me.

• 12. Re: pdf naming

You’ve been told by more than one person why this is happening and how to avoid it. It’s up to you to take that ball and run with it or not.

• 13. Re: pdf naming
                                  Kelly McCathran User Group Manager

one "O"

If you click on the file name you just gave it, the Mac operating system will pick up that name and overwrite the current PDF (if you are in the proper folder, which you may need to switch to, from the above screen shot) or click Replace, your naming workflow shouldn't break.

In your example above, we do know you typed a different name for the PDF on Export "because of a conflict" — that is why I suggested you write up a feature request: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

I'm afraid your "saving habits" are not consistent, that is why you think this "happens sometimes." We can all prove when and where the PDF will not pickup the document name. We are all suggesting you try a different method when you Export the PDF. Try my steps with new files as well, to see if it works as I said. In your 2 example files, the PDF name was changed at some point when the Franklin file was Exported. Now the Jones file will not have the name jones in it...

You are fighting with the Export workflow and want Adobe to make a change. I would ask that  you also try to make a change that could fix this issue for you *specifically* or at least make your day less frustrating. I have heard this complaint from other people, and do think there is merit to your complaint. That is why I hope you write up a feature request. We don't write the software... We teach it and support it (we aren't even paid to answer your questions on these forms, we do it to help the Adobe community not be frustrated).

• 14. Re: pdf naming
                                    one "O" Level 1

Kelly in the screenshot I just stopped there because it was an example . . . the file goes on a local drive and the pdf goes to a network server so option clicking to rename is not very convenient . .  I was just looking for an easy way to do this not have to go around the block three times just to get next-door . . .and exporting the pdf first is not a very good answer to me.

btw this isn't my first rodeo . .  started printing in 1969 went DTP in 90 . . . beta tester/consultant  for adobe products  for a few product versions over the last 25 years or so . . .

• 15. Re: pdf naming
                                      tobij39213645

...anyway, I just want my file exported with the very same name, just a nice .pdf suffixed instead of .indd, qxd, .doc, or wtf else (whatefere)

Does it work now with the 2015 version?
                                      Haven't yet got it downloaded due to room on my SSD....

• 16. Re: pdf naming
                                        tobij39213645 Level 1

...and, please, beg your pardon,
                                        but this does give me some trouble,
                                        because I'm doing lots of creating versions of anything for customers, starting from one document.
                                        e.g., Businesscard v1, v2, v3, then letterhead, flyers, brochures etc...
                                        each time doing 10+ or 20+ preversions, sending over as pdf to watch.

....hm.

Easy way out?
                                        Thanks for any good hint!!

• 17. Re: pdf naming

Nothing's changed in the last two weeks.

• 18. Re: pdf naming
                                            one "O" Level 1

Just so you guys know . . . it hasn't changed here . . . yesterday I had files going both ways some would hold onto the "new file name" and some wouldn't . ..  and IMHO exporting and naming a pdf before you save the file is just wrong . .  but then again I grew up in the save early save often clan . . . so I'm saving something as easy as a business card 2 or three times before I export it . . .  still a pain in my backside.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree - but if anybody wants to stop by I'll be happy to demonstrate the problem in person . . . .

• 19. Re: pdf naming
                                              tobij39213645 Level 1

Hey Bob,

right-o, it seems to be working for me now, too.

Thanx a lot!

And maybe similar to one'O', I'm a save-often-save-early guy, so I just could not leave a file without saving, even when wondering which change I'd be saving there... 

If it shouldn't be consistent I'll call again.

Best, Tobi