5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2015 10:10 AM by trshaner

SHARE THE SAME BOOK WITH TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS

Danilo85

Hello! we are two photographers using lightroom to create books. If one of us is working on a book and before exporting it he wants to show the other collegue the book, so eventually he could also edit it and share it back with the new edits... is it possible?

• 2. Re: SHARE THE SAME BOOK WITH TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS
          sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Danilo85,

• You cannot share a book , but you can share your catalog and images with your colleague.
          • Use the same edited catalog once your colleague made changes to it.

Check below link for more information:

Sharing Lightroom Catalog with Multiple Computers

Please let us know if it helps.

Regards

Sarika

• 3. Re: SHARE THE SAME BOOK WITH TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As you can do this using a separate LR catalog containing all the image files used in the book. The other user will need a copy of all the original files placed in the book. The catch is that they must be in the same exact folder locations on both systems. The easiest way to accomplish this would be to Export all images used in the book to DNG format, which will contain all of the LR develop edits, keywords, and ratings. Place the DNG files into a single folder, which can be easily relinked on the 2nd computer regardless of where the folder is located.

The LR catalog can be uploaded on Dropbox or other file sharing site and updated as each user makes edits. You'll also need to get the DNG image files on the 2nd system, which is probably best done initially using a USB flash drive or portable hard drive. You need to make sure only one person at a time edits the book.

After making edits that person then uploads the updated LR catalog file and any new DNG image files placed in the book to the file sharing site. The other person can then download the updated catalog and any new image files, move them to the appropriate folders, review, and make further edits to the book.

I suggest keeping a log of changes made in an annotated text file, which can also be uploaded to the file sharing site. This way you can easily find and review changes made by the other user. Sounds complicated, but will give each user full editing capability.

• 4. Re: SHARE THE SAME BOOK WITH TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS
              Nick Shutterhands

I have done basically the same thing, but using Smart Previews instead.

My problem was to keep my photo book going when I was out of town.

So, on the desktop (where my main catalogue is):

1. Create Smart Previews for all book candidates
              2. Export the collection as a new Catalogue (without original files)
              3. Move the catalogue on a Cloud-synched folder

On every other device:

1. Open the catalogue (with errors due to the lack of originals)
              2. Create saved book and pages and so on (using the previews instead of actual photos: you can also create virtual copies and change develop settings...)

back on the desktop:

1. Open the catalogue, and upload the book on Blurb

Still, it is a painful enough process.

So my question is: given that a Saved Book is a collection inside a collection, is it possible to export it to another station by sharing it on LR Mobile?

Thank you all

Nick

• 5. Re: SHARE THE SAME BOOK WITH TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

nick shutterhands wrote:

So my question is: given that a Saved Book is a collection inside a collection, is it possible to export it to another station by sharing it on LR Mobile?

Not that I can see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/lightroom_reference.pdf