5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2015 7:39 AM by dj_paige

Collections and Exports

Heirloom Bob Level 1

I was asked about this and was unsure of the proper answer. He wants to have his edited photos for book creation, within a collection in Lightroom. Here's his workflow:

Original JPG Photos are saved to the HD by date folder.

Collection is created.

Edits are done from within the Collection but these are not "incorporated" into the shot, until I export. Am I right here?

He wants to Export and have the edited jpg's in another collection. The resulting Collection is what he needs to create a book, probably NOT from within Lightroom but perhaps he would. This new Collection would contain only his edited shots.

Thoughts/comments?

Bob

• 1. Re: Collections and Exports
          dj_paige Level 9

Edits are done from within the Collection but these are not "incorporated" into the shot, until I export. Am I right here?

It doesn't matter if the edits are done from within the collection, or anywhere else in Lightroom. The edits are stored in the catalog file.

When you export, you obtain a file that actually has the edits baked in, and should be viewable outside of Lightroom.

He wants to Export and have the edited jpg's in another collection. The resulting Collection is what he needs to create a book, probably NOT from within Lightroom but perhaps he would. This new Collection would contain only his edited shots.

I think there's really no point to both Export and also have the edited JPGs in another collection. If he is going to create the book outside of Lightroom, then the JPGs simply need to be in a folder for the external book application to use. If he is going to use Lightroom to create the book, no exporting is necessary, its a complete waste of time for the purposes of creating a book..

• 2. Re: Collections and Exports
            Heirloom Bob Level 1

But his Collection is a compilation of photos from many different dates. My process is to save edits as a subfolder of the date folder but if he does that, he will have them all over and will be unable top pull hem all into one place.

• 3. Re: Collections and Exports
              Heirloom Bob Level 1

...unless he took his original collection, exported to a new folder, did his edits and then export them to a subfolder...:)

• 4. Re: Collections and Exports
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There could be instances where you would export and place the results in a collection to make a book. For example if using the print module to apply a specific profile or a setting for brightness/contrast to get the best printed look on the page. You have the option to change the output from printer to jpeg.

• 5. Re: Collections and Exports
                  dj_paige Level 9

But his Collection is a compilation of photos from many different dates. My process is to save edits as a subfolder of the date folder but if he does that, he will have them all over and will be unable top pull hem all into one place.

In this case, you would need to edit the photos in the collection, and then you export them to a folder specifically designed to contain the photos for the book. There's no reason you can't also export them into subfolders of the date folder (although I certainly do not recommend doing this except for very specific situations).

...unless he took his original collection, exported to a new folder, did his edits and then export them to a subfolder...:)

The idea of exporting before you do edits is the exact opposite of good practice in Lightroom, and opposite to the design of the software.