11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 12:18 PM by rob day

Lightroom Integration with InDesign

Dianikes

Hello,

I am building several large photobooks (200+ pages with 1000+ photos) in LightRoom from RAW source photos.  While I find the Photobook module of LR to be powerful (and love the direct integration), I find the locked templates to be infuriating. 

My two questions:

1) Is it possible to convert a Lightroom Photobook into Indesign?  I assume that once in InDesign I could fully modify the page/photo layout.

2) Is there a simple way to add/link processed raw photos from LR into ID?  That is, if I apply post-processing to a raw image in LR, can these corrections be linked to images placed in ID? 

I find that post-processing for photobooks is a recursive process, where I only fully understand the corrections I need once the images are placed.  Maintaining the link to LR would be critical.  (aside: I despise the need to convert to JPG/TIFF for each round-trip to provide corrections (as I am being forced to do in another project).)

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks

Kevin

• 1. Re: Lightroom Integration with InDesign
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No and no.

You could place the RAW files in PSDs as smart objects and then place the PSDs in InDesign.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Integration with InDesign
            Dianikes Level 1

Thank you.  I have always been surprised that Lightroom does not allow the ability to edit photo book pages.  But then it occurred to me that they were just trying to protect InDesign for page layout projects like this.  But now I see that there isn't even a link between InDesign and Lightroom, which seems odd.  I expected that sort of direct connection would be highly prized.  Maybe I don't understand the workflow used by others, but I cant be the only person wanting to pull images from large Lightroom catalogs.

Anyway, Thanks!

• 3. Re: Lightroom Integration with InDesign

Don’t over analyze it. Adobe is not protecting applications by leaving out features.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Integration with InDesign
                Kelly McCathran User Group Manager

Good point about analyzing BobLevine, I would also love the ability to have Lightroom Photo Books integrate into InDesign for editing. Programmatically, I imagine this would be a huge undertaking.

I've found that the Adobe teams don't seem to collaborate on features when they add them, for example, I would LOVE to see Illustrator and Photoshop have all the functionality of InDesign Paragraph and Character styles. Adobe updates and feature requests are often driven directly from user feedback. This feedback comes from Adobe users who use multiple Adobe applications on a daily basis. There is a team at Adobe (I remember it was called OWL) that is in charge of cross-team communication and integrating features from application to application, so that they function similarly, but I haven't had contact with them in many years.

Now that I got that out of my system, please fill out a Feature Request here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 5. Re: Lightroom Integration with InDesign

I can recall a few posts like this in the past but nothing overwhelming. Of course, the feature request won’t hurt anything but you do have to make a strong case for how much of the user base will benefit and why.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Lightroom Integration with InDesign
                    Dianikes Level 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments.

My preferred solution would be for Adobe to repair the Lightroom book module to allow for page layout editing.  However, it has been four years with no updates.  Sigh.

I would be interested to know the preferred workflow for designing a 200+ page photobook (with 1000+ photos).  InDesign is certainly capable, but managing the photos for it becomes daunting, especially with ongoing post-processing of the RAW source files..  Are there other products in the Adobe suite that facilitate this kind of project?  Does one just process the images to TIFF files in a folder and link into ID?

Thanks

Kevin

• 7. Re: Lightroom Integration with InDesign
                      Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I work with projects similar to yours, and use Ligthtroom to edit and manage the photos. (raw files)

Since my projects will be printed in offset, I start out with relatively lo-res RGB jpgs as placeholders in the layout, and do the conversion to CMYK on a hi-res file in Photoshop. But since you probably do all the work in RGB, it'll be simpler.

This works really well for me:

• Set up a folder system that makes sense for the book you're working on - by chapter, image dimensions, or whatever you find useful, and export to these folders from LR.
                      • Create presets for all the different exports you need in LR - it can be by image dimensions, by folder, or a combination. It helps a lot if you at this point have decided what size the images should be.
                      • Export all the images in the format of your choice - tiff or jpg.
                      • Place the images in Indesign. Since you have a logical folder system, it should be easy to find the right folder.
                        You can also use MiniBridge inside ID, and drag the images into the layout.
                      • If you decide to edit an image that's been placed in ID, export it again from LR, and overwrite the original. ID will now display a yellow triangle next to the image in the Links panel. Right click, and choose Update link, and the image updates.
                      • 8. Re: Lightroom Integration with InDesign
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does one just process the images to TIFF files in a folder and link into ID?

If you are using OSX these AppleScripts will develop and place RAW files into ID. There are two scripts in the zip archive. One places a PSD with the RAW image as a smart object, so you can adjust the develop settings after you place. The other places a rasterized version. Both save the PSDs in a folder named "~InDesign Placed Raw Files" in the same directory as the RAW file.

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PlaceRAW.zip

If you use the Smart Object version you can Option click the image and then adjust the RAW settings, add adjustment layers, or rasterize if you need to do something other than color correct.

• 10. Re: Lightroom Integration with InDesign
                          Schundler Photo-GRAPHICS

I had also expected that the Lightroom/InDesign linking would be at least as good as the Lightroom/Blurb integration ... which is fantastic.  I guess that is something to look forward to.

• 11. Re: Lightroom Integration with InDesign
                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I had also expected that the Lightroom/InDesign linking would be at least as good as the Lightroom/Blurb integration ... which is fantastic.

The original post issue was about placing RAW files. RAW is not a printable or placeable format—you have to convert RAW into another format like PSD, PDF, JPEG first, so if the Blurb plugin is making a RAW image available, it must be making a copy and rendering it into a print format before placing.

I could imagine an InDesign feature that does what my script in #8 does, but I wouldn't expect it is ever going to be possible to place the actual RAW file.