10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2015 12:39 PM by trshaner

Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?

lauram12098586 Level 1

I am new to Lightroom. I am accustomed to using Bridge. Therein, the orientation I utilized in Bridge is retained to Photoshop. Now with Lightroom, I've oriented my images individually. But (using the menu option "Photo > Edit in > Edit original") Photoshop doesn't open them in the orientation I've utilized in Lightroom. What's more, when I save the file from Photoshop, it is reoriented incorrectly again in Lightroom. So I have had to reorient photos 3 times. Isn't there a better way? I would prefer to orient my images in Lightroom, because the keystroke is fast and can be applied to multiple images.

• 1. Re: Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?
          sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi lauram12098586,

Would you please check whether you are editing an original image or a copy with Lightroom adjustments.

Do you see the following window while opening an image (jpeg, psd or tiff) in Photoshop from Lightroom?

editps.png

Please let us know if you are working on Raw files.

Regards

Sarika

• 2. Re: Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?
            lauram12098586 Level 1

In this case, Sarika, I would like to crop and not retain he original file. So it's the "Edit Original" option I am always choosing.

• 3. Re: Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?
              • This the reason why you are not able to see Lightroom adjustments as they are not visible in the original file

• Would you please give a try editing a copy with Lightroom adjustments and share the result with us?

~Sarika

• 4. Re: Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?
                lauram12098586 Level 1

Yes, I see. Thees are jpeg files from my Nikon D90. And yes, when I open them as a copy, that t"Edit a Copy" option, the orientation in Photoshop is now the same as I had set it in Lightroom. Given I don't want the uncorked versions, I guess this means the fastest way for me to work is to bulk open using the, "Edit a copy" option, do my cropping in Photoshop. Then go back to Lightroom, sort by "Added Order", then delete the originals. Is there any faster way? I have a few thousand images like this, and so whatever I can do to cut the time down would be great. Thanks!!

• 5. Re: Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?
                  lauram12098586 Level 1

…sorry about the typos! And thank you for your quick reply sarsaxen!

• 6. Re: Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?

Why are you not cropping your images in Lightroom?

~Sarika

• 7. Re: Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?
                      lauram12098586 Level 1

Because there are so many images, and because it is entirely unnecessary for me to keep the uncropped images, I thought I could reduce the overall file sizes by editing the originals. I am fairly new to Lightroom. But if I crop in Lightroom, the file size is not reduced. Isn't that right?

Also, I often access my images from outside Lightroom, when emailing them or copying them to thumb drives for family or clients. I find the email export option cumbersome, in Lightroom. So I also want to be sure the files are fully edited and usable as jpgs, in their folders outside Lightroom, without depending on the catalog for further editing.

Thanks again for your insights.

Laura

• 8. Re: Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

lauram12098586 wrote:

I am new to Lightroom. I am accustomed to using Bridge. Therein, the orientation I utilized in Bridge is retained to Photoshop. Now with Lightroom, I've oriented my images individually. But (using the menu option "Photo > Edit in > Edit original") Photoshop doesn't open them in the orientation I've utilized in Lightroom.

When you change the image orientation in Adobe Bridge the new orientation is automatically written to the file's EXIF 'Orientation' tag field. When you change the image orientation in LR the original file's EXIF data is not automatically updated. After modifying the image(s) orientation in LR use the CTRL + S keys to write the change to the file's EXIF data. You can modify multiple files all at the same time by selecting all of them and then using CTRL + S keys. The orientation changes will now be seen inside Adobe Bridge and PS.

EXAMPLE EXIF DATA

• 9. Re: Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?
                          lauram12098586 Level 1
                          Perfect! Thanks to both of you for such quick and helpful replies! Using CTRL + S had exactly the results I need in this case. And now I understand a little better what's being done in the application and what's being done to the file.
                          • 10. Re: Lightroom sends images to Photoshop with incorrect orientation?
                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

lauram12098586 wrote:

Because there are so many images, and because it is entirely unnecessary for me to keep the uncropped images, I thought I could reduce the overall file sizes by editing the originals. I am fairly new to Lightroom. But if I crop in Lightroom, the file size is not reduced. Isn't that right?

That is correct. LR is a non-destructive editor, which means it never modifies the original file's image data. You can write keywords, develop settings, and as you've discovered the orientation as EXIF data, but the original file image data is never changed.

lauram12098586 wrote:

Also, I often access my images from outside Lightroom, when emailing them or copying them to thumb drives for family or clients. I find the email export option cumbersome, in Lightroom. So I also want to be sure the files are fully edited and usable as jpgs, in their folders outside Lightroom, without depending on the catalog for further editing.

The only way to apply LR's Develop module settings to the original file is by outputting a new file using Edit in PS or the Book, Slideshow, Print, and Web modules. Because of this it isn't going to help much to do your image cropping in PS. Also keep in mind that every time you resave a JPEG file there is some loss of image quality due to the lossy compression used. You can prevent this by using a high Quality setting, but then that will greatly inflate the JPEG file size.

Consider original files imported into LR as your "negatives," which should never be modified. Enjoy!