3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 10:12 AM by The Silent Scream

What is the basic Raw import preset for Lightroom, and why isn't it in Lightroom already?

The Silent Scream

What is the basic Raw import develop preset for Lightroom, and why isn't it in Lightroom already? I want full creative control yet, don't want to manually apply the basic things each time. I want to create a preset that makes the images look a bit more like JPGs (without applying sharpening and things I'd like to save for Photoshot or later) and also takes care of whatever tedious automation is required. ie. possibly lens corection, etc.

I don't know what the camera calibration settings like "Camera Standard" actually do and whether or not they sharpen the image as well or what, so I'd like to avoid the old Kelby method of using the Camera Calibration camera profile drop down options unless someone tells me what they do exactly; do they increase contrast and sharpness or what? This must be frustrating millions of people and reducing product sales. Can this not be made into a preset that is part of the software? Even pros don't all enjoy the techy runaround; most of us are artists not software engineers. I don't even know if lens calibration is something that is good to add automatically or not, or what it does 100%, so I think this ought to be spelled out by Adobe, please supply us with a few presets, for pros that leave us with various levels of creative options, or at least fill us in on the import workflow properly, for once.

thank you.

• 1. Re: What is the basic Raw import preset for Lightroom, and why isn't it in Lightroom already?
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Take one image without any adjustments, make the "basic" adjustments you want (eg lens, camera calibration etc) to make your raw files look like JPEGs (if you think that's a great idea), and then in Develop hold down the Alt/Option key. The Reset button becomes Set Default. Choose it, and there's your "basic preset".

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is the basic Raw import preset for Lightroom, and why isn't it in Lightroom already?
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

My pictures don't look like your pictures, so my presets don't necessarily look like what your presets might look like.

The great thing about LR is that you can create your own presets and apply them during import and/or during development.

The "camera calibration" profiles are Adobe's version of the profiles in your camera. Nikon calls them "picture controls"; not sure what Canon calls them. Check your camera manual or the manufacturer's website for details on what the various options do for you.

• 3. Re: What is the basic Raw import preset for Lightroom, and why isn't it in Lightroom already?
              dj_paige Level 9

John has a good idea. Another idea is to create different presets that are applied at import for different photography situations (I have a preset for outdoor architecture, another for portraits and another for indoor sports).

I'd like to come right out and state what John is just implying ... the goal of making your RAW look like your JPG doesn't seem like such a good idea to me.

This must be frustrating millions of people and reducing product sales.

Millions? While there are rare questions and complaints in this forum on this issue, I'd say it doesn't indicate millions. But, don't you worry, if Adobe is losing sales, they'll let us know by raising the price.

The camera calibration profiles usually affect the colors of the image, and perhaps the contrast. The great thing about Lightroom is that you can use them as you wish, or don't use them at all. If you like them, great! If you don't like them, don't use them, and create your own. It's a very flexible system.

• 4. Re: What is the basic Raw import preset for Lightroom, and why isn't it in Lightroom already?
                The Silent Scream Level 1

Thanks guys, your comments were helpful. After about two days of reading, working in LR and cross-referencing some facts and opinions, I now know how to do it. All I was saying was that it would be less time-consuming if Adobe would compile detailed info on this topic themselves and offer it in a help file for newbies as opposed to assuming that each user has two days of free time to figure all this out, since they can't even get to editing until the import process is down pat.

I created a couple of different profiles for importing images with and without much adjustment. It was a good learning process but it could have been less esoteric.

What's your opinion on applying Lens Corrections on import? I thought I would do that and simply undo that correction in any images where it might cause a problem as opposed to applying it later, after import. I guess it's whatever you prefer. Some say L.C. causes a loss of sharpness, but we're talking about saving time here in LR not pixel peeping so much, I figure, nevertheless, I'm just curious what your opinion is.