6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2015 1:00 PM by markd783604

Book export error - photo could not be rendered, other issues

markd783604

I am in the midst of making my first book with Lightroom, and as soon as I tried to export to share with a collaborator I ran into three problems, the third of which - the reason for this post - is critical.

1) Tried to export as JPGs, only to find there is no option to export as spreads. I've googled it and found that's just life, which is unfortunate. So I tried to export to PDF.

2) When I select "Color Profile Other..." the ellipsis doesn't lead to a choice or dialog box as expected, so I have no idea what color space is being used, nor do I get the option to select what my printing company requires (CMYK).

3) This is the critical one, for which googling has not found a solution for me: I can't actually export to PDF. I get this error:

"An error occurred while saving the book. The book could not be created because the photo named "XYZ.CR2" could not be rendered."

I see several other people have had this issue, but I could not find a solution that solves my problem. The photo in question is visible in Lightroom, with no errors or warnings. I can make changes to it in the Develop module, and I can export it without problem.

The drive the photos are on is connected. If I remove the photo that caused the error from the book project and try to export again, it just throws the error with the next photo. It has happened for RAW files (CR2, in my case), PSD, and jpg files. My book currently has around 160 pages with about 175 photos.

I am using an iMac with all current system software updates. Lightroom CC is also up to date. My photos are physically stored on an external array connected via USB 2.0, a system with which I have not previously had any problems. I have recently "checked catalog integrity" and optimized the catalog, as well as repaired permissions on both my OS drive as well as verifying the external drive array.

Any ideas before I ditch 20-30 hours of work and start over in InDesign?

• 1. Re: Book export error - photo could not be rendered, other issues
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you change the drop-down menu under the Book settings panel (top right)

There are three choices

Blurb

PDF

jpeg

• 2. Re: Book export error - photo could not be rendered, other issues
            markd783604 Level 1

...yes, I selected PDF, which is how I got the option to Export Book to PDF.

In case I wasn't clear enough before: I tried JPG first, but was not happy that I couldn't export spreads together. So I switched to trying the PDF option, which is when I ran into the other two problems.

I suppose a further bit of info could be handy: when I did first export as JPG, I did not get this error - all of the photos rendered ok. I just wanted the spreads to be together, so I tried the PDF option, hit Export Book to PDF, and got the render error. Same photos, same everything, just different export format.

• 3. Re: Book export error - photo could not be rendered, other issues
              markd783604 Level 1

Aha! So here is some more more info. Turns out my original problem #2 is related to problem #3.

If I select a Color Profile like sRGB then I can export as a PDF without the error.It hasn't completed yet, but it looks like it's working - it's well past where it threw the errors before.

I had left the Color Profile set to "Other..." in the hopes of somewhere being able to select a different color space, and that seems to be what is causing the "cannot render" error. Makes sense - the engine has to render the files in some color space, but one hasn't been selected.

So that seems to be a bug in Lightroom somehow - that the "Other..." doesn't work correctly and the error message isn't useful - but at least my problem #3 has a workaround.

Now: how do I get my PDF into CMYK as the print shop requires without losing control over the conversion and losing quality?

1. Export as Pro Photo RGB or Adobe RGB.
              2. Open in Acrobat(?)
              3. Re-save / re-export.
              • 4. Re: Book export error - photo could not be rendered, other issues
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ask your print lab if it can convert it. CMYK is used mainly for commercial offset printing e.g. magazines and brochures.  It's a much smaller color gamut so it should be possible to convert from ProPhoto RGB or sRGB.

• 5. Re: Book export error - photo could not be rendered, other issues
                  Brett N Adobe Employee

Selecting "Other..." from the Color Profile should open a dialog box. this box will list all compatible color profiles on your computer (print only by default, but you can choose to include display profiles as well). In this dialog box, you put a check mark next to the profiles you want to use. After clicking OK, these profiles will now appear in the list of Color Profiles along with the defaults (sRGB, Adobe RGB, and Pro Photo RGB).

Our big question is why are you not seeing this dialog box? Perhaps there are profiles installed on your computer which are not compatible with Lightroom and when LR tires to read the list it cannot display the dialog?

• 6. Re: Book export error - photo could not be rendered, other issues
                    markd783604 Level 1

Right, that would be the expected behavior. But if PDF is selected there is no dialog box.

If I select JPG and Color Profile: Other... then I do get a dialog box and a list of installed profiles, so Lightroom is able to pull them up.

I haven't actually done too much printing from this computer - I usually print elsewhere - so I don't have too many profiles installed - a few Epson paper profiles, in addition to the Display Profiles.

If you think it's helpful I could delete them and try again, but since if JPG is the "Book type" and the "Other..." dialog does pop up, I'm not sure it would enlighten much?

In any case, I think as long as I can get an export in a good color profile, which I now am able to do, then I think I can deal with color space down the road (correct me if I'm wrong on that). If you want me to help troubleshoot the dialog box let me know!