7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2015 3:28 PM by Peter Spier

Looks like it's printing at %150

HJMann42 Level 1

I'm trying to print a few pages of a booklet I'm designing. But it looks like it's been printed

at 150%. Paper size is 8.5 x 11. Seems to be enlarging the text and image so not all will

fit on page. Could use a little help with this. I'm using cs4.

• 1. Re: Looks like it's printing at %150
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What is the page size in ID, and the scale factor in the print dialog?

• 2. Re: Looks like it's printing at %150
            HJMann42 Level 1

Page size is 8.5x11"

In the print dialogue box:

General: Print Preset "Custom" Not sure why it's Custom. Can't seem to change that.

Setup: Paper Size, US Letter, width 8.5 in Height 11 in.

Scale: Width 100% Height 100%

(If I check "Scale to Fit" image will fit the page size but seems to reduce it a little too much.)

CS4, Mac Pro, OS 10.9.5

Marks and Bleed: Bleed and Slug checked. (document is set up with 1/8" bleed.)

Summary: US Letter, Width 8.5 in, Height 11 in, Scaling: Width 100% Height 100%

Constrain Proportions: Off

Seemed like I've checked everywhere for page settings. Not sure why in the Printer Preset I have only two choices: [Custom] and [Default]

Printing to Brother HL-2140 B/W laser printer for rough proofing.

Hope this info helps

Thanks

• 3. Re: Looks like it's printing at %150

Print preset would go to custom for anything other than a predefined settings collection.

Not that I don't believe you on the page size, but it's possible the document setup dialog is no longer telling the truth if the page tool was used, so try dragging an empty frame that matches the page boundaries and note its dimensions before you undo.

• 4. Re: Looks like it's printing at %150
                HJMann42 Level 1

Peter,

Dragged an empty frame around the page and it says 8.5x11"
                I'm going to create a new document and transfer the artwork to it and see what happens.

Here's a couple of screen shots of the printing dialogue window.

The only way I can get the images to fit the page is when I check "Scale To Fit" though it reduces the artwork a little too much

This file is set up with a 1/8" bleed. Maybe thats throwing the printer off. The printed images seem to be enlarged to about 140%.

When I check the "Scale" button the width and height say 100% which should be correct.

I'm not sure about the "Print Preset" setting. I have only "Custom" and "Default" to choose from.

I've used the Brother printer to rough proof other work in both Illustrator and Photoshop with not problems.

Set up.png Summary.png

• 5. Re: Looks like it's printing at %150

It looks like your printer has a typical non-printable border. Without scaling it should be printing at the correct size, but with about a quarter inch lost around the edge. You've got things set up in that dialog to include the bleed, so by using scale to fit you are reducing the page image until the bleed fits into the imageable area, hence the large reduction. You can lessen the impact by not including the bleed, which isn't doing any good on this printer/paper combination  anyway.

• 6. Re: Looks like it's printing at %150
                    HJMann42 Level 1

Right, the laser printer had a built in non-printable border. I have no problem when I select "Print to fit." What I can't figure out is why it's enlarging the art 130-150% resulting in

only a portion of it on the page when no reduction or enlargement is checked. This maybe a problem with the printer or maybe with inDesign.

It seems that if you went with the Printer Dialogue default setting it would print at 100% and anything bleeding into the non-printable border would just drop out.

Who knows?

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Jeffrey Mann

• 7. Re: Looks like it's printing at %150

For what it's worth, you'll probably get better printing results exporting PDF and printing that than you get printing direct from ID.