5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 6:52 AM by Mohit Goyal

LR to PS - 'open as layers' problem

wbb999 Level 1

I have LR 6.1.1 and PS CS5.1.  When I try to open multiple photos from LR to PS using Open As Layers in Photoshop, I get 'this version of lightroom may require the photoshop camera raw plug-in version 9.1.1 for full compatibility.'  I click 'Open anyway' but nothing happens.  According to application manager, all my programs are up to date.  I downloaded the AdobeCameraRaw-6.6-mul-AdobeUpdate.zip and tried to execute AdobePatchInstaller.exe but I get message saying 'Update failed.  Updates could not be applied.  Adobe Application Manager may be damaged.  Download and install a new copy of Adobe Application Manager.'  I had updated all apps, including this one, earlier in the evening with no problems.

What should I do?

Thanks

• 1. Re: LR to PS - 'open as layers' problem
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi wbb,

Lightroom 6.1.1 uses the Camera Raw Plugin Version 9.1.1, so when you edit the Image from Lr to PS, Lightroom wants that the Camera raw plugin should be the same for Photoshop as Lightroom.

However PS CS5.1 doesn't support that Camera raw plugin version, so you can't install it.

therefor, you need at least PS CS6 which is compatible enough to use the Camera raw version 9.1.1.

Refer: Camera Raw-compatible Adobe applications

Hope it helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: LR to PS - 'open as layers' problem
            wbb999 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Mohit.  That makes sense I guess.  What I don't understand then, is if I select one photo only, right click, go to 'Edit In' and then 'Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS5.1', I get three choices rather than two.  I get the Open Anyway and Cancel as with multiple photos, but I also get Render Using Lightroom, and the photo opens in PS.  Why can't it do this when I have multiple photos selected?

I am trying to bring three photos into PS as layers so I can do focus stacking.  This is my first time trying it.  I don't profess to being a PS expert, so this is likely a newb question, but I'll ask it anyway.  Rather than upgrading PS just so I can do this, can I open the three photos separately in PS, and then somehow bring two of them into the third photo as layers; in essence doing the same thing as 'Open in Layers in Photoshop...'?

Thanks

• 3. Re: LR to PS - 'open as layers' problem

Hi wbb,

Please refer the link below for the step by step and detailed info on the same.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Open and edit Lightroom photos in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements

In the Library or Develop module, select two or more photos to edit.

Choose Photo > Edit In > Open As Layers In Photoshop.

Photoshop opens the photos as one layered file.

Edit the image in Photoshop and then choose File > Save.

The newly saved photo is automatically added to the Lightroom catalog as a TIFF file

Hope it helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 4. Re: LR to PS - 'open as layers' problem
                wbb999 Level 1

Thanks once again for the reply Mohit.  Your answer is a good one, but in the context of this post doesn't work.  As first mentioned, nothing happens because of the Camera Raw plugin versions.  That's why I was opening the photos separately and looking to bring them together as layers in one image.  Fortunately I found snippets in different posts and was eventually able to build a process that works.

As an aside, I must say focus stacking is amazing!

• 5. Re: LR to PS - 'open as layers' problem

I am glad to hear that, thank you for your efforts on this with me.

Regards,

~Mohit