12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2015 7:17 AM by justv98738661

Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files

justv98738661

My PC crashed, but luckily I have a backup copy of my photos and of the catalogue on an external disk drive. In the import process of my 11.000 photos in LR I chose to copy them to the .DNG format. Of every imported photo LR made a copy on my external disk drive. I copied my catalogue and the photos to a new PC on wich I loaded LR 5. I noticed that the catalogue does'nt accept the .CR2 format of the files Of the back up. Is it realy unavoidable that I convert all of my 11.000 .CR2 photo files to .DNG to be able to run LR again with my "old" catalogue?

By the way, I noticed an Adobe tool that could help me to convert the files, but I would prefer not to make the conversion. Please help.   

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi justv98738661,

Greetings.

• If i understood you correctly you mean that LR 5 is not reading your camera raw files right?
          • If that is case can you please let us know which version of LR 5 is it , as in LR 5.6 or 5.7.1 (latest in case of LR 5)
          • Which camera are you using ?

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

justv98738661 wrote:

I noticed that the catalogue doesn't accept the .CR2 format of the files

Yes, it does - but only if the version of Lightroom is current for the camera in use.

So, as Rohit has asked - which camera?

And what happens when you try?

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files
              dj_paige Level 9

If you have an old catalog file, you shouldn't be importing the photos anyway. Do you actually have the old catalog file from before the crash?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files
                justv98738661 Level 1

LR does read my camera  RAW files but until now (that is until de crash), I chose in the import process "copy as DNG". So my catalogue (from before the crash, I refer to it as my old catalogue) expects .DNG files while the backed up photos are .CR2 files. That's the problem. The catalogue just can not find the photos because they are .CR2 files instead of .DNG files.

My version LR is 5.0 and the camera I'm using is the Canon EOS 5D mkII.  

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files
                  dj_paige Level 9

So we are back to the question asked previously, which awaits an answer

And what happens when you try?

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files
                    99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I understand correctly you were working in LR using DNG files. You have lost those files and have no backup copies of the DNG’s but have the original CR2 files.

Your only option is to use the stand-alone DNG converter to batch convert and then place them back in the corresponding folders to re-link with the catalog. You may wish to try it one folder at a time. It will involve some work but at least you will preserve all of your editing.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates.html

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files
                      justv98738661 Level 1

Thank you! This is apparently the only option. I'll go working on it.

For my working method in the future I would like to know the following. If I import photos while choosing in the import screen "Copy as DNG" (top of the screen) and I use the checkbox on the right hand side of the screen "Make a second copy to" (that would be to my external hard drive), will these copies be .CR2 files (which was the case until the crash and caused the problems I'm having now) or .DNG files? If not, what can I do to achieve that the copies are .DNG files right away?  

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files
                        dj_paige Level 9

If I import photos while choosing in the import screen "Copy as DNG" (top of the screen) and I use the checkbox on the right hand side of the screen "Make a second copy to" (that would be to my external hard drive), will these copies be .CR2 files (which was the case until the crash and caused the problems I'm having now) or .DNG files?

I don't know, but you can find out quickly.

If not, what can I do to achieve that the copies are .DNG files right away? 

After the DNGs are created on import, you should make backups of the DNG files.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files

I tend to archive my CR2 files but make a separate backup copy of the DNG files. I have everything organized under a parent folder and then yearly sub folders e.g.

99jons Photos

2012 Pictures

2013 Pictures

2014 Pictures

2015 Pictures

In the event of a crash I could then copy the mirror image to a new computer and in the LR Library simply right-click (control-click) on 99jons Photos and choose "Update Folder Location" and everything in all folders would be automatically re-connected.

I don't use make a second copy on import but I would think it should make DNG copies. I would test it out to make sure.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make a second copy to copies the original raw files, not the converted dng files.  That way if the dng conversion fails the original is still available.  Of course, as the OP has discovered, such backups cannot be immediately hooked up to the catalog since the file extension is different and a copy of the converted DNGs would be easier to deal with in this particular situation.  Different types of backups help with different failures.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files

OK thanks for confirming. That may be useful for archiving originals, but a second copy of the DNG is really needed.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading .CR2 files
                                justv98738661 Level 1

Thank you all very much!! I'm still working on it, but your answers seem to solve my problem!!