7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2015 8:55 AM by A.T. Romano

HDV / m2t codec missing from Elements 13

RobertWC06262015

Where can I get the Adobe - approved codec to play m2t files?  Premiere Elements 13 would not play them until I downloaded VLC.  But VLC crashes ALOT so I need to uninstall it and start fresh.

• 1. Re: HDV / m2t codec missing from Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

RobertW

What computer operating system is involved? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer, and are you running the program from User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Have you updated Premiere Elements 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

Please explain the circumstances

a. Are you saying that you cannot import MPEG2.m2t file into a Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project with Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets?

or

b. Are you saying that you cannot play back a MPEG2.m2t export from the Premiere Elements project when you use the Windows Media Player as the player?

or

c. Something else.

Please clarify.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: HDV / m2t codec missing from Elements 13
            RobertWC06262015 Level 1

Thanks for the reply A.T. - I'll answer as best I can.

In the Control Panel, Windows Media Player shows as the default program associated with m2t files.  Problem is there's no real playback occurring because Windows 8.x engineers decided to disable that true association.  So... PRIOR to installing Premier Elements 13... Within File Explorer,  I would double click on any m2t video (previously recorded from HDV tape format and uploaded to my mputer) but only have audio playback in WMP... Once I loaded PE 13 I thought the file association would be replaced with PE 13's own codec - but it did not happen.

Strangely the files will play once imported into PE 13 - but the previous problem is still unsolved:  The m2t files will NOT play when clicked on within File Explorer.  In my workflow I sometimes need to just quickly see how a video clip looks right after I import it into the computer - Without having to Import into PE 13 first.

The only solution for getting playback BOTH within File Explorer AND within PE 13 was VLE.  But it crashes in BOTH circumstances so it's not a solution.

I do not have QuickTime because Windows 8.1 uses WMP to play those files.  Is QuickTime the solution maybe?  Then I would have to change the file-type association for m2t to QuickTime?

• 3. Re: HDV / m2t codec missing from Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

RobertW

You need to install QuickTime 7 on your computer along with Premiere Elements (any version). It is a requirement and it, like Premiere Elements, needs to be run from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. And, sometimes, you include right clicking the desktop icon of the program, and selecting and applying Run As Administrator.

So, first thing, download and install QuickTime 7.7.8 from the following link. Ignore that Apple does not mention Windows 8 or 8.1 in this context or 32 vs 64 bit. This is the link to QuickTime 7 which works with Premiere Elements on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer.This is a 32 bit application which is fine. Do not be concerned that it is not listed as a 64 bit application. Just hit the blue Download Now button in the following

QuickTime - Download - Apple

One of the obvious consequences of not installing QuickTime 7 will be that you should not be able to get QuickTime exports from the project.

The matter of the Windows Media Player is a Microsoft issue that has been known for Premiere Elements 8, 8.1, and now 10.

Its problem is in the playback of a video that uses MPEG2 compression. Most, if not all gravitate to the free VLC player. By the way, .m2t is the wrapper for the file, not the video compression. MPEG2 is the video compression here.

Please look at the install of QuickTime 7, and then let us know the consequence of that to your situation.

Based on the details in your reply, we can then decide what next if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: HDV / m2t codec missing from Elements 13
                RobertWC06262015 Level 1

Successful download of QT 7.7.8, and when opened for the first time it prompted with the "Some file-types are associated with other programs.... Would you like to change association to QT" .... YES.   Unfortunately.... When viewing the list afterwards within the Control Panel the association remains (oddly) the same for the following file types:mpeg - WMP,   mpeg1 - VLC,   mpeg2 - VLC,   mpeg4 - VLC, .... and my "favorites" .... m2t - WMP,  m2ts - WMP.

So.... 2 questions:  (1) If I Uninstall VLC (which seems sensible at this point) What happens to all the "normal" programs currently associated with VLC?  (2) Will changing the association of m2t and m2ts to QuickTime be recommended BEFORE the VLC uninstall?

Please note that I guess I don't follow your recommendation to run Premiere Elements from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.  This is my new Lenovo laptop with an i7 processor, 16 GB RAM, 4 GB NVDIA RAM, etc.  Nobody else uses this computer...

Thanks,Robert

• 5. Re: HDV / m2t codec missing from Elements 13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Both QuickTime and Premiere Elements require that the programs be run with administrative rights.

Whether or not no one else but you uses the computer, the computer is run from a user account and if the user account is not labelled as Administrator, programs such as QuickTime and Premiere Elements have problems executing/accessing certain certain functions.

If you want to play back MPEG2.mpg files on your Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 64 bit computer, then it would seem that you are going to need the VLC player or a counterpart for the playback. Windows Media Player (in those particular computer operating systems) and QuickTime should not be able to recognize the file.

You should be able to change the program which is to open files with a certain file extension

a. Control Panel

and

b. Right clicking the file on the hard drive and selecting Open With, followed by the name of the program that you want to play the file....but needless to say the program selected need to support that file completely, both video and audio compression as well as file extension. Windows Media Player has the MPEG2 video compression issue in the computer operating systems cited.

Just in case note, there is no Premiere Elements export to file that will give you a file with a file extension of .m2ts. If you burn to disc AVCHD or Blu-ray, the BDMV Folder/STREAM Folder of burn to will have the video file as a file with a file extension of .m2ts.

Please review and consider. If clarification needed or if I did not target what you sought, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: HDV / m2t codec missing from Elements 13
                    RobertWC06262015 Level 1

A.T., I did establish Run as Administrator in PE 13 as you directed but the right click on QuickTime does not provide that option.

I still need 2 key questions answered.  (1) Regarding the "strange" playability success with files loaded into the Organizer in PE 13:  Is PE 13 now "fooled" into playing the m2t files?  Reason:  With the m2t file association now returned (by me) to Windows Media Player, the files now appear in a details view to be AVCHD - which they are technically NOT. But PE 13 likes AVCHD files, right? 

Unfortunately this may lead me to a condition of never being able to play these file-types directly in File Explorer, instead having to import first into PE 13.  Question (2) :  IF I upgrade to a full version of Premiere in Windows 8.1, would it solve this problem?? A friend who owns Edius says it comes with hundreds of codecs.  It plays all the old and new video formats - and allows them to be compatible in a finished project.

Your input is much appreciated although my frustration continues.

Robert

• 7. Re: HDV / m2t codec missing from Elements 13
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

I have thought and thought about your concerns and questions which I am understanding as you wanting to have computer playback of your HDV captures (as MPEG2.m2t) on your Windows 8.1 computer operating system.

Just in case message... we should not lose focus on the fact that a file has video compression as well as a file extension which wraps the file components.

That .m2t is the wrapper format. The MPEG2 is the video compression. That would be the situation for your HDV split captures.

You can set file association however you want. But, if the player does not support that file extension and/or the video compression, it will not play it.

Such is the case with QuickTime 7 with and without you setting file associations. You can even force the file extension program association even if you cannot find the program on the list of choices. You can do that by navigating to the players .exe file. Even that is not going to force QuickTime 7 to recognize your MPEG2.m2t.

As for the Windows Media Player....the is a known Microsoft issue for Windows 8 and 8.1 64 bit. The answer is to use the VLC player instead. Interestingly, on my Windows 10 64 bit Windows Media Player I can play back MPEG2.m2t. Need to do the homework on the why for that one.

But, pointing to VLC player as the solution for playing your MPEG2.m2t with it. You say the program crashes. Let us explore that.

1. What version of VLC player are you using? Are you using the version 2.2.1 from the following source

VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

2. Are there any error messages associated with these crashes (from the VLC player or elsewhere?

3. Have you tried to uninstall/reinstall the VLC player with or without the free ccleaner in between the uninstall and reinstall? CCleaner - Download

Please consider.

ATR