14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 4:22 AM by rob day

turn off content grabber FOREVER

homoheidelbergensis

How do I turn off content grabber forever. View>Extras>Hide Content Grabber works for a while, but when ever InDesign crashes that ******* bull's-eye of aggravation come back.

IS there any way to turn it off forever?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Turn it off with nothing open. Close InDesign.

That should write it into your prefs.

Beyond that, there’s nothing you can do and while I agree it can be annoying it can also be a godsend when dealing with deeply embedded objects in groups or in MSOs.

• 2. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER
            homoheidelbergensis Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try it.

I use this trick to keep my default units as I like them, however those have gotten lost in the same crash event.

So here's to hoping it works. Thank you again.

It is a surprise how out of touch with users Adobe has gotten. They're as bad as McDonalds wondering why business is down while they're busy offering fake Lattes.

Best to you, and thanks again.

rwsiii

• 3. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER

This doesn't work Bob, though thanks for the suggestion.

I reset all my palettes and settings just the way I liked them and even defined a new work-space (including content grabber invisible) with no open document and then closed InDesign. When I reopened it the damn thing was active again.

And I suppose there is no hope of it ever getting fixed, as Adobe is now off on its misguided Cloud direction.

Why anyone would allow their work to be held hostage to a perpetual monthly payment scam is beyond me.

The Germans have a word for it: schlimmbesserung, which means "to improve for the worse."

Thanks again,

• 4. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER

Something wonky on your system that is causing the prefs to reset. A permissions issue perhaps.

• 5. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER

Could there be a plist to delete?

Could InDesign CS4 and CS6 preferences get mixed up? I vastly prefer CS4 and only use CS6 when I have to.

Thanks for being helpful,

rwsiii

• 6. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER

No, the prefs for CS4 and CS6 are completely separate. I'm afraid I'm stumped.

I've never seen this behavior and I don't have anything earlier than CC2014 installed anymore to even test CS6.

Hopefully someone else will come along and have a suggestion for you.

• 7. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER

Thanks for all your help.

I hope to be as helpful to you someday.

• 8. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER

I am sorry. Again after a crash I lose all setting, not just the annoying content grabber off setting.

I am simply going to instruct all my clients to back save all work to CS4, the last version of InDesign that was not a royal PIA.

• 9. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER

Good luck with that. If I were one of your clients, I'd fire you with that kind of attitude.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm trying to save you from losing clients over something incredibly petty.

• 10. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER

I do not take your response to my frustration as jerkiness. My frustration is more deep than that, and also directed at Mac products as much as it is at Adobe products. I am not comfortable in CS6 for many reasons. Many of the tools it provides are specifically designed to violate principles of good design (at least to the parameters I assign myself). It has been optimized for tasks I do not do. I run a twenty year old imagesetter & make photopolymer plates to print letterpress. I worked with metal type before I worked with computer type. Content Collector tools, and Gap Tools get in the way of anything I might try to do.

I work with many of the people Adobe originally hired to shepherd them into the world of classic design.I began my computer graphics career with Quark 3 and Photoshop 2. I worked with these programs as they got better and better. Now they have stopped getting better, but are becoming increasingly irrelevant to the work I do. I am isolated by both what I do, and by how the tools I use to do it are evolving. The point is not that I might lose clients as a result of my frustration with Adobe, the point is Adobe has lost me as a customer. Since Apple has ceased support for PostScript level 1 and AppleTalk, Mac OSX past 10.6.8 is no longer practical for me. As long as I am confined to this backwater, I might as well also stagnate at the level of InDesign that was most useful to me, and that is CS4. I have made my career bridging twentieth century computer technology to nineteenth century printing presses. The direction Adobe is gazing to try to see (& to help make) the twenty-first century is not where I will find clients.

I have always made the attempt to be adaptable to change and for a long time the changes were for the better, but change has become gratuitous.

Again, I am sincerely grateful for your attempts to help me find solutions to the problems Adobe constructs for me. I wish you well in your endeavors, and commend your taking the time to help others in theirs.

• 11. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER
                              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am sorry. Again after a crash I lose all setting, not just the annoying content grabber off setting.

It's not normal to get constant crashing, so there is something up with your system. What OSX version are you using? Do you run any system maintenance, something like Cocktail for repairing permissions and running OSX maintenance scripts? Do you check for corrupt fonts with a font manager like FAP? Any third party plugins?

Also, if you can fix the crashing save your preferences after they are set so you don't lose them after future crashes. Make a copy of the /Users/fishercat/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 8.0 folder

• 12. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER

The crash always happens when I visit Ars Technica. It only started recently, two or three days ago. OS X 10.7.4; Firefox 41.0.1.

Thank you for the path to preferences. What is the difference between the folders "Version 6.0" & "Version 8.0"? (I will save the one you suggested on a flash drive, just curious as to what the other is.)

• 13. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER

Version 6 is CS4. Version 8 is CS6

• 14. Re: turn off content grabber FOREVER
                                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The crash always happens when I visit Ars Technica

Try uninstalling any Firefox plugins