12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2015 6:49 PM by timc75044682

Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help

timc75044682

Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help

• 1. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
          A.T. Romano Level 7

timc

What computer operating system is involved with your Premiere Elements 11 issue.

What are you trying to do...Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD burn to disc with one of the presets there?

What burn to preset are you selecting?

What is the Space Required and Bitrate in the Quality Area of the burn dialog before you have hit burn?

If you cannot get the burn to disc to work, can you get the Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD burn to Folder 4.7 GB or Folder 8.5 GB to work for you?

But what exactly is the issue here...

a. cannot burn to AVCHD on DVD

or

b, can burn to AVCHD on DVD but the playback on your Blu-ray player is blurry?

What are the properties of your source media including mention of interlaced or progressive frame rate? And what project preset are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting to match the properties of the source files? If you look at the Timeline rendered content before burn to disc, is the preview blurry or OK?

Let us start here, and then decide what next based on the details in your reply. Any questions or need clarification on any of the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
            timc75044682 Level 1

Apple Mac OSX Version 10.8.5 with Apple compatible DVD burner

I am trying to burn onto regular DVD, not Blu-Ray.

AVCHD  (preset H.264 1920x1080i  NTSC Widescreen Doldy) will burn onto DVD Discs, but they won’t play in DVD players (not the three I have anyway; attempts bring up a “Disc Error” message).

Here’s the routes I've tried:  

1- Publish & Share  

2- Disc 

3- DVD 

4- Presets: I tried NTSC_ Widescreen_Dolby DVD and NTSC_Dolby DVD and both came out blurry and led to my posting. In the past I tried burning in PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD mode and it wouldn’t burn at all. But I guess that was a different problem because after I posted my message I tried it in this mode again and it copied this time, and it looks a whole lot better than the NTSC copy, but it does seem to jump a bit and still doesn’t appear as crisp as the Elements 11 and f4v copies seen through my computer.

I’ll try copying and reviewing more in PAL as the slight jumping may be a burn blemish. You think PAL_widescreen is the proper route for copying HD onto playable DVDs?  This mode gives the best results so far. I appreciate all your insight you can supply to resolve this.

• 3. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
              timc75044682 Level 1

Forgot to answer your other inquiries.

I have also set the quality to 4.32 GB, the highest allowable by disc space for this particular project.

I can’t recall how I set the project presets, but it was what was recommended for multiple video types, as not all of the videos in this particular project are in HD (some cellphone vids).  Can you instruct me how to check these presets so I can inform you if necessary?

I’ll also need (if necessary) instructions on viewing the “Timeline Rendered” content you mentioned. Everything on the cutting board (timeline?) is rendered (green bars over top).

• 4. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you use the option to burn AVCHD "direct" to a DVD disc, it will NOT play in a DVD player, since what you are creating is a sort of "mini BluRay on a DVD" not a regular DVD... to play the "AVCHD to DVD" disc you will need to use a BluRay player

You create NTSC for playback in the US and PAL for playback in Europe (do NOTE that PAL discs will very likely not play in a US player, while NTSC discs will often play in PAL players)

When you reduce HD video to an SD DVD (a DVD is, by definition, Standard Definition) you are giving up a LOT of screen resolution, so a DVD is very simply not going to look as good as HD video

Comparison picture of video screen sizes http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1120039 to show the difference between HD and SD video

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

• 5. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

timc

Continuing from and replying to your posts numbered 2 and 3...

The AVCHD on DVD product from Premiere Elements (any version that has that feature) can be produced with a regular DVD burner, but it cannot be played back on a regular DVD Player. The AVCHD on DVD disc requires playback on a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of those multi media players that supports AVCHD.

DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes in reality is 4.38 GB. And, DVD disc 8.5 GB/240 minutes in reality is 7.95 GB.

In the case of the DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes which you appear to be using, what are the reading for the following when you have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"...

1. Status field in the burn dialog.

2. Space Required and Bitrate in the burn dialog's Quality Area

It sounded to me that you were working without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space". If that is the case, what were your settings for Space Required and Bitrate which allowed you to continue to get the Status field to read Ready? You may be running into a DVD capacity issue which might be minimized by use of the DVD double layer single sided disc (8.5 GB/240 minutes). A drastically lowered Bitrate could account for quality issue in the end product.

Also, the project workflow should maintain a PAL or NTSC workflow. Mismatching the project preset (NTSC) with export settings (PAL) can cause problems in the playback of the export (reverse true also).

With regard to Timeline rendering...the render indicator line above the Timeline content...no colored line and green line indicate that no Timeline rendering or need to get a best possible preview of that content in the Edit area monitor....orange line indicates Timeline rendering needed and available to get a best possible preview of that content in the Edit area monitor.

a. the no colored line will be the situation when you import a source whose properties match the project settings that you (manually) or the project (automatically) have set.

b. but one you edit "a" or any other Timeline file that has been previously edited, you are back to need Timeline rendering to see the best possible preview.

Timeline rendering does not need to be done to continue in the project. But, it is your opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. It is particularly useful when working with titles, transitions, effects, and non native formats.

Please review and consider the above. We may have to get into properties of source media and project preset, but the details in your reply will direct the further troubleshooting.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
                    timc75044682 Level 1

Yes, I am trying to burn onto 4.7 GB 120 Minutes discs. I’ve never seen the 8.5 GB DVDs in any stores. Where are those available? I still need to know how I can check the Project Presets to so I can relay it to you to pinpoint the problem.

With the NTSC preset, weather the "Fit Contents into Available Space" box is checked or not, either way the status reads "Ready." When the box isn't checked, the space required is 1.70 GB and I can raise it to 4.32 GB quality of allowable space. When the box IS checked, I can't adjust the quality.

As it is, a NTSC DVD copy comes out very blurry, and a PAL copy looks muclear (I live in America and both my DVD players are old Toshibas), but there is much stuttering (shaking) with pans, zooms and animations in the PAL copy. If I can get rid of these stutters I’ll have a usable copy.

If I buy a Blu-Ray burner, I assume I would also have to buy a Blu-Ray player to view it on, and anyone I give a disc copy to would also have to have a Blu-Ray player. Yes?

Another problem I sometimes face when burning is a “Transcoding Error” message. When this appears, the only way I know to correct it is to cancel the burn and reboot my computer. What causes this and how can I avoid it?

• 7. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

timc

Thanks for the reply.

Part 1

The disc 8.5 GB/240 minutes disc is in reality 7.95 GB. You can find them online and in retail stores usually described as DVD-R Double Layer or Dual Layer. The burning on the disc will be to one side of the disc, so you may see added to the Double Layer description of the disc "single sided".

The important information that I need is two things....

What are both the Space Required (MB or GB) and Bitrate (Mbps) with the check mark next "Fit Content to Available Space'? With the check mark next to this option, the Quality slider does not work. That is normal since the project is automatically going to be lowering the Bitrate from 8.00 Mbps, its max setting, downward when needed to make file size disc fit.

and

What are both the Space Required (MB or GB) and Bitrate (Mbps) without the check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space'? Without that check mark, you control the setting of the file size by adjusting the Bitrate downward to make the disc file fix. I never use "without check mark" unless I get a "Data Error" which forces me to lower the Bitrate manually to get rid of the error.

I just want you to insert the DVD disc in the burner tray, and then, in Premiere Elements burn dialog, make those readings without any adjustments.

Just

a. Blank disc in burner tray

b. In Premiere Elements burn dialog, get readings for Space Required, Bitrate, Status with check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space'

c. Then, just remove the check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space", and get the readings for Space Required, Bitrate, Status readings.

Part 2

Next...if you have NTSC footage, then you maintain a NTSC workflow throughout including the export.

If you have PAL footage, then you maintain a PAL workflow throughout including the export.

We need to clear up factors relating to

a NTSC DVD copy comes out very blurry, and a PAL copy looks muclear (I live in America and both my DVD players are old Toshibas), but there is much stuttering (shaking) with pans, zooms and animations in the PAL copy. If I can get rid of these stutters I’ll have a usable copy.

Your project preset should match the properties of your source file. The project sets the project preset for you automatically based on its analysis of the properties of your source file. Sometimes it does it right, sometimes not. When not, then you set the project preset manually before you import your source file into the project.

So, import your source file into the project with Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets and then drag the file to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1. To make sure the project set the correct settings, go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us what the readings are for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the field look grayed out). Stop here and then post the results in your thread reply.

With that information, please also post the properties of what you are importing into the project. If you know the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video, that would help in getting the information we need to make sure that the file's properties are matching the project settings.

When we get through the above and get those matters dealt with, then we will look into transcoding error if it still exists at that time.

Please let me know if you are OK with the details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
                        timc75044682 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers:

1- With “fit contents into available space” box checked, it reads: Space required: 4.38 GB (birate 4.37Mbps).  

With the box unchecked it reads: Space required: 1.7 GB (birate 1.69Mbps).

They are the same with NTSC and PAL presets.

2- Editing Mode: HD 1080i 

Timebase:29.97 f/s   

Frame size: 1920 horizontal, 1080 vertical   

Pixel Aspect Ratio: square pixels (1.0)

The properties of a selected imported video reads:  

Type: MPEG Movie 

Image Size: 1920X1080 

Frame Rate: 29.97 

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz – Compressed – Stereo 

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz – 32 bit floating point – Stereo

Average Data Rate: 2.0 MB/second 

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Most of the video footage was shot with a Sony HDR-CX 130 and shot in HD 60i FH mode The bar above the videos in the timeline are either clear, or green (after rendering) if I manipulated them in any way.

This particular project is 2 hours and 9 minutes long. Would the DVD copy quality increase if I broke it into two +/- 1 hour parts and burned them (checking the box to fit contents to available space) onto two separate DVDs? If so, I would need to know how I can do this without cutting and re-editing half the job in a new Elements project. Can I open two Elements projects and make transfers? I can do that with my audio editing software, but haven’t figured out (if it can be done) how to do the same with Elements.

There is one possible way I thought of to do this; when I make computer copy files (Adobe Flash Video / f4v HD 1080p (flash 9 and higher)), unlike when burning DVDs, I can check the box, “Share WorkArea Bar Only” and copy only what is within the set workbar areas. So what if I made two +/- 1 hour f4v files, then ran each of them through an Elements project to burn onto DVDs with the “Fit contents to available space” box checked? Would that increase the quality? Or would such a regeneration (f4v through Elements) reduce the image quality?

Final Notes: Besides the “Transcoding Error” messages I sometimes get, when I play the DVD copies, the volume is very high. I would have to warn viewers, “Turn your TV volume way down low so you don’t get your ears popped when it plays.” How can I adjust this?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

timc

Thanks for the important troubleshooting information.

You are putting too much on one DVD disc spec'd at 4.7 GB/120 minutes and are compromising the quality of the end product NTSC DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc in doing that. You should be working with a bitrate not too much lower than the max 8.00 Mbps. If you want to try to get everything on one DVD disc and your player supports DVD double layer disc, then use a DVD double layer disc in the burn to disc. The DVD double layer is spec'd at 8.5 GB/240 minutes. That just might work for you.

Your chances for a higher quality product are markedly increased by

1. Dividing the project onto two discs DVD-R 4.7 GB/120 minutes

or

2. Putting the project onto one disc DVD-R 8.5 GB/240 minutes.

If you try the project on two discs DVD-R 4.7 GB/120 minutes, consider the following scenario. Take your current 2 hours and 9 minutes project and make a copy of it (Premiere Elements Editor File Menu/Save a Copy). Then with the copy edit out 1/2 content and burn the rest with appropriate menu to disc. With the other copy,  edit out the other 1/2 content and burn the rest with appropriate menu to disc.

But I suspect that the DVD double layer disc should be your answer, provided your player supports it. Most should.

Please consider, and let me know if you see any problems in the suggested plan.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
                            timc75044682 Level 1

Ah, I never thought of multi copying the original project to do this. How simple!

Sorry I didn't mention the project length problem before. The fact that it is over the 2 hour allowable disc space didn't occur to me until after I began this troubleshoot chat.

So it appears that I have all my settings correct, and what I've learned through this chat is that:

1- My settings are correct

2- Can't maintain HD onto DVDs, they reduce to SD

3- HD can only be maintained on BluRay discs

4- I can burn "mini-BluRay" discs by way of AVCHD

5- I should always check the "fit contents to available space" box to get the best quality copy

6- Projects over two hours can be burned onto 4 hour double layer DVDs

Last two unanswered questions

1- "Transcoding Error" message problems preventing disc buring

2- Very loud volume on disc copies

One last question. I know projects can be posted directly online, youtube and such. I have a vimeo account where I've indirectly posted videos. Is it possible to post something there directly from Elements, then set it to privet viewing so that only those I want to see it can? I've never posted anything privet and don't know how it works. It may be out of our realm and I can poke around the site to see, but thought I'd ask. Thanks again!

• 11. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

timc

Thanks for the reply and good news of progress.

1. You should be able to upload your video to Vimeo using Publish+Share/Social Websites/Vimeo. And, I see no file size/duration limitation listed in the Premiere Elements built in feature. From what I have read it looks like the Vimeo basic account will allow you to upload 500 MB per week.

Uploading Basics on Vimeo

It looks more like a file size quota rather than file size and duration limit.

As for privacy settings, please see the following

Privacy Settings on Vimeo

2. As for the disturbing audio volume levels....go back to the Expert workspace and Window Menu/Audio Meters and have the Audio Meters showing in the workspace as you playback the Timeline audio. Does the volume level according to the Audio Meter stay within 0 dB and -6 dB? Adjust the volume slider as needed...Adjust Tab/Adjustment Palette/Volume Panel expanded. Let us see if what you find and if you can adjust the volumes. We could explore right clicking the audio clip and selecting Audio Options/Gain and Normalize but let us see how the Audio Meter assisted volume setting works out.

If you need HD on a disc, you can use AVCHD on DVD feature. You can produce a AVCHD DVD using a non Blu-ray burner. But keep in mind that AVCHD DVD needs a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD. It cannot be played back on a regular DVD player.

What are you going to do....2 discs 4.7 GB/120 minutes or 1 disc 8.5 GB/240 minutes? The 2 disc way may turn out to point to where the issue is with regard to transcoding error. If one disc has not problems, then we can look to the content of the second disc for a flaw in the Timeline content and/or structure.

Please consider.

ATR

• 12. Re: Have Elements 11. HD videos won't burn onto DVDs in HD. Looks blurry. Help
                                timc75044682 Level 1

Thanks for the tips. Regarding the audio meter, while editing I kept this meter up and tried to maintain all audio levels as close to -6 as possible without going over. Much adjusting was needed as some of my interview subjects talked softer, quieter, or were further away from the camer/mic than others, so I made adjustments for volume consistency. Sometimes I adjusted using Audio Gain and/or Normalize. I assume these volume  adjustments I made throughout the project is what caused such high volume on the DVD copies and the overall high volume on DVD copies can't be adjusted as a whole.

I did post my project on Vimeo, but I hit some kind of snag and couldn't upload it directly from Elements. I succeeded by making an f4v computer file copy and uploaded it directly from my computer.  Many Thanks!